“active mindfulness required”

Blue Hills Reservation
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Milton
More attraction details
Owner description: These seven thousand acres span six Massachusetts cities and towns.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I planned to hike in the woods while husband did some mountain biking. I choose skyline trail, started on north trail from headquarters to Eliot Tower. I quickly encountered it was more like rock climbing. It was beautiful weather, shade all the way, clean trails and required so much attention. I was enjoying the challenge and feeling very accomplished until I would see an occasional person running over the rocks. It was not easy paying attention to the terrain and looking for the blue paint on the path, so I went off track several times. Returning on the south trail was much easier, even trails but again I got lost and ended up on the road. It was a great hike and would love to do it more of it next time.

1  Thank abst14

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I spend two days exploring Blue Hills on a recent trip to Boston. The first day was spent hiking with a friend. We started at the headquarters. We hiked up Hancock Hill to an overlook of the city. Then we headed towards the Great Blu Hill where we had lunch near Eliot Tower. We took the Accord Path back to headquarter which extended our trek a bit.
On the second day, we took a shorter trip out to Ponkapoag Pond via the boardwalk over the bog. When you are in the middle of the bog it is hard to believe you are so close to the city. Visiting Blue Hills is a great way to get away from the hustle and bustle of Boston. My only reason for not giving this attraction an excellent rating is that the board walk was in need of repairs.

1  Thank Doug A
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Anyone who loves the outdoors will love the Blue Hills., A variety of trails makes it easy for hikers of any level, moderate to difficult. The view from the top is worth the hike. Take a picnic and enjoy it. Highly recommend it.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We have a lot of fun hiking around the Blue Hills. There is a great hike for kids that goes straight from the Hillside Museum and up to the top where there is a shelter and picnic tables. You can see Boston. It's fun for kids because it's all rocks-- mostly smooth ones-- and it's kind of like an obstacle course.

If you hike a little further there is a working weather observatory-- which has been in operation for a long long time. You can pay $3 or so and get a funny little tour of it and see the view from the top-- a 360 degree view.

1  Thank Milton_Annie
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

The dogs and I go on long hikes every weekend. You can see ponds. Skyline view of boston. Deer and hawks In the summer you can swim at houghtons pond or in the winter ski big blue.