“Sad dinner”

Add it.
C J's Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 17 Restaurants in Monson
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Went with a friend for dinner about a year ago and haven't been back since. They had some crazy atm machine right inside the door, so I believe they don't take credit cards. Wasn't very busy and food came quickly, but the onion rings were not good at all and the salad was very sad. The only saving grace was that the fish was delicious. We were both very surprised at the food because we had heard it was good and I have heard people say they have had good meals there. But I don't want to try again.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Four of us ate here on a weekend evening. They were friendly and courteous, but must have been short of help that evening. There was not that many folks in the restaurant, but we had a pretty long wait for a table, and then a fairly long wait for our dinners. The food was OK. This restaurant is known for seafood and the seafood fragrance is evident. Not that it's bad, but may be unpleasant for some diners. Maybe they need a new kitchen exhaust system. This restaurant really needs an update of the interior. I'd rate this restaurant as a "Fair", not either average or poor.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

From 3:00 to 5:00 every day they have early bird specials for $7.95 and $8.95. Comes with hot rolls, soup, 2 sides and dessert (orders must be placed by 5:00). We chose off this menu but the 2 soups offered did not appeal to us so we opted to pay extra for clam chowder. It turned out to be more of a potato chowder. Loads of potatoes and only 2 clams could be found. I then had baked haddock, small portion but what I expected for the price. It was just a tad fishy tasting and just a bit dry on the edges and not very flaky within but was okay. I’ve had baked haddock there before and it was flaky and delicious so my thought is they save the better pieces for the more expensive haddock dinners. My companion had baked stuffed shrimp which he said was very good. We had no choice for dessert and it was lemon pudding which was quite good and tasted like lemon meringue pie filling. Yes, the décor is outdated but I don't have an issue with that as long as a restaurant is clean. The waitress was very attentive and stopped by several times to see how we were doing. Cost of 2 meals with sodas was $25, not bad for today’s economy.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have read two reviews of this restaurant and my friends refused to buy the bad review I told them about, and insisted that we go there on a trip that brought us nearby. . Personally I would say that the entryway by the bar does not smell fresh as a daisy, but don't write off the food once you get inside. I had a salad with chicken that was fresh and generous and inexpensive. (I am not a big fish eater or a big fried fish eater). But my two companions were more than satisfied with shrimp scampi and fish and chips and pronounced them delicious. The restaurant does not look beautiful from the outside either. I would say go and decide for yourself.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

This is a fish house. Went twice, both times the fish had an odd taste and odor. Couldn't eat it. The decor is what you would expect at a seafood restaurant. Ship wheels, buoys and all the rest. Dark and dingy.