“Good location, Courtyard standards”

Courtyard Boston Natick
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Natick
Reviewed 11 August 2014

As others have mentioned, the hotel is in a good location for those wanting to avoid the hustle and bustle of downtown Boston and convenient to the upscale Natick Mall shopping area (including the TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Nordstrom Rack at the Shoppers' World center just west of the mall).

The lobby has been updated and now includes a bistro which is great for the morning Starbucks, though there was a bit of confusion regarding the coffee charge. Though clean and well maintained, the rooms and hallways are a bit tired and could use what I believe Marriott calls a "refresh."

It seems as if the staff is consciously trying very hard to be friendly and accommodating. This feeling was confirmed when we received a follow-up e-mail from the Assistant GM, Jill Sullivan, asking for feedback on our stay. As a loyal Marriott Platinum member, seeing the staff working to please goes a long way!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Boston Natick

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

A great value with a friendly staff. Hotel has been updated and is very nice. Highly recommended. Situated in a convenient area near shopping and restaurants. Hotel very clean and room spacious and neat.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is your typical Marriott Courtyard hotel, the room is of decent size, the bed is comfy, though it (some part of the room) feels just a tad dated despite the fact that they have just finished their remodeling effort. The staff are very nice and friendly, except for one person (more details below).

The location is great, it is literally next to the upscale Natick Mall where you will find everything from Microsoft and Apple to Burberry and Louis Vuitton stores. The traffic can get a bit congested during rush hours but not too bad.

Now let's move on to the one incident that totally changed my whole stay experience at this particular hotel...

I arrived at the hotel around 6 PM on 6/22/2014 and was warmly greeted by a gentleman at the front desk; everything went smoothly and I proceeded up to the room. After a few minutes, I decided to go check out the Natick Mall, so I took the elevator downstair and I noticed a bucket containing several bottles of water by the front desk with the sign that said "Welcome Marriott Rewards Members." At this point, I noticed that two front desk staff were busy checking in customers, so I proceed to grab one bottle from the bucket because I was really thirsty and thinking that I didn't get one when I checked in earlier and that they there were for hotel guests.

At this point, the front desk lady asked me bluntly "What are you doing?", I was shocked at the tone and her expression but answered "I was just going to grab a bottle, I didn't get it when I checked in". She then proceed to ask me (again, very bluntly) "Are you even a guest here?", I was in disbelief, the other male staff next to her then nodded to tell her that yes he checked me in a moment ago. She, then, asked "Did you check in today?", again, the other staff said yes. At this point, she didn't say anything and acted like nothing happen.

Now, technically, she didn't really do anything wrong, but it was just really just the tone and the way it came across. I felt like I was accused of stealing the water, yes one bottle of water that was there for guests with a big sign saying "Welcome Marriott Rewards Members".

When I came back to the hotel, the lady was gone, but I asked the staff and was told that her name was Jill. I cannot be 100% sure that this was in fact her, but the staff seem to be very certain based on my description of her. So if this wasn't Jill, I sincerely apologize.

I felt very unwelcomed at the hotel because of this particular incident, and this was enough for me to cancel all of my future reservations at this particular hotel where I had just started a project in a nearby area and planned to spend about 200 nights within the next year and a half potentially at this hotel.

I do admit that this seems a little unfair that this one incident by one of the (again, very nice and friendly) staff overrule all the nice things I have to say about this property and its staff, but this was truly a first for me and was totally not expected to be coming from a Marriott hotel.

My logic for giving a 2-star "Poor" rating was because this review was based on the overall stay experience, which I cannot say I had a good experience, and it definitely was ruined because of that one little incident.

However, I do not expect this to happen often and can still recommend this hotel to anyone who is seeking a good place to stay in that area. I certainly hope that this review will help them prevent another incident like this (intentionally or unintentionally) so it will not happen to anyone else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank WiwatL
Frank D, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Natick, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the Courtyard team for your unsatisfactory experience with a team member. We try very hard to ensure all our Marriott Reward Members have a great experience with every interaction they have with our staff. Please feel free to give me a call at 508-655-6100 if you would like to discuss further. Your feedback will help us improve future guest experiences.

Frank Dorsey

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family (me, hubby and teen daughters) stayed here initially for 3 nights whilst visiting an elderly relative nearby. Well - we enjoyed our stay so much we cancelled another hotel booked closer to Boston for the remainder of our time and extended our time at Courtyard. We were picked up from the Logan Express bus stop and driven straight to the hotel (we later found the courtesy shuttle was available for transport within a 2 mile radius of the hotel for free!!). Richard at reception was just lovely and our room perfect. We use the shuttle to get to West Natick rail station which provided a 40 minute scenic trip into Boston - perfect for sightseeing - and my husband even used it to get to the movies nearby! We had many positive dealings with both Richard and Mary who both went out of their way to make our stay so enjoyable - they felt like family by the time we left. There is free wifi and a restaurant/bar on site.

1  Thank MargieMB
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The recent remodel of the public areas was not to our liking. The historic ship pictures, which had been a special delight of our previous stays at this property, had been taken away, replaced with a few snapshot-quality photographs. The appearance of the public areas is now “generic-modern,” which no longer qualifies for our special interest in this specific hotel. The use of the pool for physical therapy at 7:30 am was delayed every morning by the late arrival of the pool attendant. In short, for us this was a down-grading of a once-pleasant hotel.

Room Tip: Away from ice, vending, elevator, laundry
1  Thank Anon-I-Muss
Frank D, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Natick, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding our lobby renovation. I am sorry the new lobby and Bistro area were not to your liking. We have received many favorable comments on the lobby and all the new technology it has to offer.

Frank

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We recently stayed as part of a large party in town for a wedding. A block of rooms had been reserved 6 months in advance for very reasonable rates, and the staff went out of their way to make us comfortable despite a wide range of special needs.

We were traveling with elderly grandparents with walkers, and we were able to reserve a room with a handicap shower on the ground floor. The refrigerator required them to bend over, which was dangerous, so the staff came in and repositioned the refrigerator on top of the cabinet instead. We requested microwaves in two of our rooms, and those were promptly brought to us.

We were able to rent for a reasonable fee a small banquet room so that we could have family meals for the extended family in a comfortable setting. The hotel allowed us to bring in our own food for this, not catered by the hotel, and yet allowed us to store the food in the big hotel refrigerators. Our party often spread across the lobby and beyond into the terrace, and sometimes we brought out food and snacks, and nobody complained.

The location next to the Natick Mall was so practical for everything from last minute hair styling for the wedding to picking up studs for tuxedo shirts, literally on the way to the wedding venue.

The hotel van shuttled people to and from the Logan Express terminal at no charge, whatever we requested was accommodated cheerfully. I really can't say enough about the positive interaction with all of the staff. I would recommend anybody who is looking for a place to send wedding guests in the Natick-Framingham-Wellesly area to consider reserving a block of rooms here at the Marriott.

I do agree about the slow elevator, but once I learned about the second elevator, I stopped caring. Also, while the swimming pool is very nice, and I did use it, the hours of accessibility are short and a staff person has to be on site whenever somebody is swimming, which is awkward. Hardly important when everything else was so perfect.

Room Tip: low floors lets you avoid the elevator, and low numbers puts you on the wing with the faster second...
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here our last night when moving out of the Cambridge area. There's plenty of parking, and the room itself is nice. The elevators are incredibly slow though, if you can get a room on a lower floor or one with access to the other elevator (near the further parking lot), I would recommend that. Other than that, it was a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Natick
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick
Crowne Plaza Hotel Boston - Natick
Red Roof PLUS Boston Framingham
Sheraton Framingham Hotel & Conference Center
Magnuson Hotel Framingham
Magnuson Hotel Framingham
#4 of 7 in Framingham
Residence Inn Boston Framingham

Been to Courtyard Boston Natick? Share your experiences!