“Fully agree with the other reviews.”
Review of Spalla's Chicago Italian Beef - CLOSED

Spalla's Chicago Italian Beef
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I lived in the mid-west for a while years ago and miss some of the indigenous food, to include Italian beef. I saw the reviews and decided to try Spalla's. It was an excellent dining experience! I had the Chicago Italian beef sandwich with provolone and the spicy giardiniera; it was excellent! They also have a great selection of specialty hot dogs, including a Chicago dog, Beantown dog, Coney Island, BBQ, etc,, Italian sausage, and a variety of salads. There was Ritter chocolate, eastern European drinks, and even home made Italian ice. I'm looking forward to going back and perhaps trying the meatballs (due to the reviews), though I'm not sure I can pass the Chicago beef. The folks running the place were great as well, and I even got a refresher with the limited Russian I remember via the gentleman behind the counter. Give it a shot, you WILL go back!

1  Thank Greenhat2001

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Not sure when Culinary Delights re-branded itself as Spalla's Chicago Italian Beef, but the Russian/Eastern European-style food is still unique and high-quality. My son -- a charter member of the Picky Eater club -- recently anointed Spalla's meatballs the best he's tasted (next to his Mom's).

1  Thank douell0001
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Being a Chicago native, I crave Chicago hot dogs and Italian beef. I used to pick up Beef sandwiches in Chicago before going to the airport to fly back to Boston. Now I can find my desire a mile from my house! Not only do they have the real thing, they have delicious homemade chili. The owners are the nicest people, true Midwest friendliness. Go there, order your beef wet with hots (ok, sweets if hots aren't your think.) Then savor the goodness. You won't be sorry.

3  Thank LolaGirl
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Come for the beef - stay for the conversation! If you visit Spalla's more than once, they will remember you. Cara and Alex take care to treat every customer like they are family - something I've missed since relocating to Boston from the Midwest. Cara is a diehard Bears fan, and she knows her stuff when it comes to football, which makes it fun to pick up something to eat and talk with her. (I'm a Packers an, but she never holds it against me)

Now that I've talked about the people, let me rave about the food. You have not had a hot beef sandwich like this. I know you think you have, but you haven't. I think she has magical gravy for the hot beef. I swear I'm addicted to it. It's not salty, but it has so much flavor. You must try the meatball sub. Homemade meatballs! She does not believe in the frozen stuff. We can make that at home - she wants us to live better than that!

There are so many good things to try that this review would take up a whole page, but make sure you stop by. They are open later on the weekends now so people can take the family over for an affordable dinner that has actual good food.

1  Thank Kelly D
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This place has THE BEST italian ice around (especially the coconut). The owners are super friendly and are always happy to have you sample their tasty dishes!

2  Thank 4BostonStrong