“A revitalization”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Ashford
Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 New Ashford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“A revitalization”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I felt as if Shirakaba were in the middle of all the beautiful places I wanted to see in the Berkshires (Clark, Williams, MassMOCA) and what made the journey even better was recognizing that it was a work of art of its own. The accommodations, the food, the dances...all were 0% +...so if you want to learn more about how to serve or how to share your leadership with client s from KyotoShirakaba... Japanese sleeping combined with Japanese mores....so lovely and I hope that you will feel the same. Many thanks Shirakaba for being you,

Kit Williams

Room Tip: All are lovely
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katherine W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

I'm back home and pining away to return to my birthday getaway retreat. My husband planned my 30th birthday in this romantic, beautiful setting. Shirakaba has everything you need and more - 20+ acres of beautiful woods with a gorgeous pathway to a private gazebo overlooking a stunning hillside, a private lap pool/jacuzzi/and sauna, traditional Japanese elements throughout from the table settings to the overall architecture, decorations and gifts prepared with YOU in mind, the most gracious and thoughtful hosts (they baked me my favorite type of cake and prepared my favorite kinds of ice creams and sorbets - all from scratch - japanese and american style! and also sent me with all sorts of free goodies), and of course - the food, OH THE FOOD - sooo delicious! the mushrooms, the miso soup (best I've ever had) I salivate at the memory. Thank you!!!

Room Tip: Stay at the traditional Japanese room - really special! But all the rooms look pretty fantastic.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Having read the other reviews I'm not sure what to add. My spouse conspired with the hosts to surprise me for my 50th birthday, so I arrived to streamers, signs and delicious treats. Between the twenty choices of homemade ice cream and cookies galore, I was in heaven. The suite was welcoming, calming and well appointed. We took advantage of the swimming pool, sauna and hot ton as well as the back porch and grounds. Everything about the Guest House -from the facade to the decorations was a tasteful mix of Japanese and New England. There's plenty to explore in the area from Mt. Greylock to the Clark Art Museum and a nice mix of restaurants as well. Definitely check it out!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

I had seen an article about Shirakaba in a June 2012 Travel Section of the New York Times and saved it for a possible anniversary getaway. It sounded wonderful, but I never dreamed that it would exceed my wildest expectations! When we arrived, there was a Happy Anniversary sign at the front door and others all through the house. Our favorite soft drinks were in our minifrig and our favorite cookies were just coming out of the oven. Louise and Sadao were the perfect host and hostess, with Louise anticipating our every desire and Sadao cooking the best Japanese dinner we've ever had. We went home feeling relaxed and pampered - knowing that we would return to see our new found friends, Louise and Sadao, again.

Room Tip: Both suites are large and very well appointed. Guests may choose from Japanese style accommodations...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

A wonderful,relaxing getaway with hosts who went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we were comfortable. The leisurely dinner was a serene and delicious experience for us who seldom have the time to enjoy a relaxed dinner. Japanese snacks, music, archtecture, art, and gadgets rounded out the experience.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our Babymoon here at Shirakaba. The hosts were lovely - and anticipated every little detail of our needs and requests to ensure a very relaxed 3 day weekend. We loved our Temperpedic bed - so much so that we are replacing our home mattress as I write. I don't recall the last time we both slept so soundly and comfortably.

The meals were all lovingly prepared - breakfast has a ton of options - both Japanese and Western style. And we also opted one evening for a Sukiyaki meal in our Washitsu (Japanese tatami room) - where my fiance tasted Chawanmushi (Japanese savory egg custard) for the first time.

The homemade goodies are delicious - from Louise's morning sticky buns, home-churned ice cream (green tea and ginger were my favorite), and name-your-flavor cookies (I requested dark choco oatmeal cookies - recipe included). I'm usually not a sweets person, but I indulged over the wknd happily.

The swimming pool option was also great - it's a proper lap pool where we squeezed in 12 to 15 strokes per length, so we had a relaxing private workout - where we also enjoyed a post-swim massage next to the pool from a local spa service.

We'll be back again surely - to recharge ! Thanks again.

Room Tip: We loved our Room with the Japanese Washitu and direct access to the Pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

My boyfriend took me here for my early birthday getaway/gift. I have to say I am very impressed. Delicious food and service! The owners are very nice and sweet. They are caring and considerate. They seem to enjoy serving their guest and doing whatever they can for their guest. So omg they make fresh baked cookies to your liking! Freaking deeeeeliciousssss!!!! Heated bathroom floors, jacuzzi, swimming pool, they even drove us and picked us up for snow boarding.

• Stayed January 2013
The Orchards Hotel
The Orchards Hotel
#5 of 13 in Williamstown
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Berkshires Shirakaba Guest House? Share your experiences!