“Exceptional Food, Pefect Setting”

The Old Inn on the Green
Massapequa, New York
“Exceptional Food, Pefect Setting”
Reviewed 30 October 2007

What you see on the web site is exactly what you get plus more. Yes,
it is in a remote location from the Route 7, but it is worth it. The location and setting is ideal. The food is exceptional. The room was warm, no problems with heat, watert etc. We stayed in room 206 which is seperate from the main house. There is a coverd patio in the back of the room. The service is impeccable. The owners and staff are very
grascious, friendly and accommodating. The only problem we had was the breakfast. The coffee, tea, juice and muffins which are included were delicious. However, most bed and breakfasts include a full complete breakfast, not continental. That was the only dissapointment
and drawback

Stayed October 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Colchester, UK
Reviewed 18 September 2007

This place is a complete gem. It was our first night stop on our honeymoon and after a 12/13 hour journey we could not have asked for a better place. The rooms are simple but elegant and have very comfy beds! We were greeted with a pot of tea which was an absolute dream come true and it was like they read our mind. We ate in the restaurant which is worth the trip in itself the food was delicious the service fantastic and even a complimentary glass of champagne for our honeymoon which caused us to give it extra brownie points. After our fantastic night sleep and very leisurely stroll in the morning in fantastic new england countyside the breakfast was also delicious!! Can not speak highly enough of this fantastic and reasonably priced establishment.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Kingston, NY
Reviewed 5 May 2007

Prompted by a review in Gourmet, I made reservations at the Old Inn for a tenth anniversary celebration as a surprise for my husband. Well-seasoned travelers, we have stayed in four-star hotels and budget motels, charming bed and breakfasts and not so charming bed and breakfasts and I must say that this is in our top five experiences. If you are looking for a place with wall-to-wall carpeting, a television and work-out facility near shops and restaurants, this place is not for you. If you want the romance of candle light, beautiful herb gardens, and the magic of a 300 year old inn (where nothing is plumb!) in a country setting, then look no further. Their concession to television is the wide-screen view from our second floor balcony seats. God forbid people should have to talk to each other instead of watching TV. To us, it was heaven.

I always do my homework before traveling and after reading several of the reviews on Trip Advisor I had some trepidation, but thought Gourmet magazine can’t be that off base. When we arrived my husband, a sculptor, was fascinated by the found objects, wreath rings, nests, and willow that festooned the walls. We searched out someone to check us in and conveniently ran into Peter, the chef and owner, who promptly invited us into the kitchen. We declined and were shown to our lovely two-room suite where we immediately set up camp on our balcony with some wonderful local cheeses and wine purchased in nearby Great Barrington. (If you are looking for shops, galleries or night life, the Berkshires are filled with wonderful places and arts and recreational events, most within a short drive from the Old Inn.)

Probably one of the nicest advantages to staying there, was eating in the restaurant and not having to get in the car and drive to dinner. The food was outstanding, from the wonderful amuse bouche to the drizzle on the dessert; the service impeccable; and it was ever so romantic as there is no electricity in the dining rooms-everything is lit by candles! After dinner with Sambuca in hand, we trundled up the stairs (be careful on those stairs; they are reeeally tall) and prepared to climb into our turned down covers for a fantastic sleep on elegant bedding.

After an enthusiastic tour of the herb gardens the next morning from a young man who worked in the kitchen, breakfast was equally as tasty with fresh squeezed juice and fresh baked goods. And yes, I understand another reviewer’s dismay at not having coffee/tea readily available, but when each pot of coffee and tea is brewed to order in a French press or Tetsubin teapot, why compromise the quality.

Every detail is impeccable including the herbal scented bath products, the tiny jars of assorted jams and honey, the Berkshire and Orion magazines in the room, the luxuriant towels. Yes, the floors may creak a little, the arms on the chair may be a little treadbare, and the room a bit chilly (so put on a sweater or another blanket!), the warmth and hospitality of our hostess Meredith and host Peter more than made up for any slight imperfection that may have occurred. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for a truly fantastic experience.

Oh, and by the way, there is no cell phone reception. Darn! I guess that means you’ll just have to turn the blasted thing off!

• Liked — Romantic & Fantastic Food
  • Disliked — I wasn't able to stay long enough.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Susielinn
Connecticut
Reviewed 1 January 2007

My husband and I love the Berkshires. We have stayed at the Old Inn three times -- once before the new management took over, and the last two times following the change in ownership. The first time we stayed at the Old Inn was so lovely that we went back there a year or two later. During that time, several changes took place that we found distressing. The tap room, which had been such a warm and delightful place the first time we stayed at the inn, no longer seemed welcoming. Instead, it was spooky and awkward -- we did not fell welcome and it seemed as thought the staff was surprised that we would even go in there looking for a drink. Since there are no other restaurants or pubs within reasonable distance (every one I can think of is over 20 minutes away), this is a problem. Secondly, for such an expensive place ($350 or more per night, with no breakfast included), it is not unreasonable to expect bottled water in the rooms -- or coffee/tea/orange placed outside in the common areas in the morning, so that one is not forced to get fully dressed in order to obtain early morning refreshment. Thirdly, the rooms are poorly heated -- both times we have stayed at the Inn we have literally been freezing (and never in the dead of winter, which I can only imagine!), despite numerous requests for heat. And lastly, while the food is usually quite good, the choices are quite limited and very pricey-- so for guests staying more than a night or two, the bill can really add up. The reason my husband and I continue to visit is that we keep hoping things will improve. However, if the Old Inn wants to gain new clientele, while keeping a steady group of customers, I think they will have to step up to the plate and realize that their guests deserve more than the bare minimum of service -- and that unless they find a way to provide it, they will never have the success they should. It is a lovely locale, with buildings of great character and historical value, and we hope that the owners will find a way to infuse the inn with the warmth and friendliness it deserves.

• Liked — Lovely historical accomodations
  • Disliked — Feeling like we had to whisper everywhere
  • Tips/Secrets — For a unique New England experience, it is worth the stay.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Byronx5181
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 March 2006

Wonderful lodgings, fabulous food, pet friendly. You could not ask for more!

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank EagleEyeBoston
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 11 November 2005

If you want to experience what a hotel was like in early 1800’s, stay here. If you’re looking for a romantic B & B, DON’T! From the moment we drove up, the plain, nondescript buildings should have been our first hint, no flowers, no fall decorations - nothing. Walking through the front door of the main house, we entered into a foyer that was dark, and frankly, spooky. I turned back around to look at my wife and could immediately see in her eyes that we were both thinking the same thing. The innkeeper then directed us to our room in the Thayer House building. Hoping that the Thayer House building would be warm, bright and cheery, like most B & B’s, it wasn’t. The first floor of this building contains two sitting rooms. However, the floor and most of the walls are covered in rustic wood planks. These wood planks on the floors of both the first and second stories squeak considerably and we were constantly thinking about the noise every time we took a step. Each sitting room had a fireplace but neither was burning a fire when we arrived or throughout our one-night stay. We also noticed that these sitting rooms, and our hotel room, was physically cold – no one had bothered to turn on the heat before we arrived. We were then taken to our room, #204, on the second floor. The first thing I noticed was that the door did not contain a lock. Later, I then noticed that the front door of the Thayer House building did not contain a lock either. So, when we left the property that evening, our room and our possessions were left completely exposed to anyone who wanted to walk in. Continuing, walking into our room, I was shocked (frankly, I got mad – I’d been ripped off!). The room had these same old wooden planks for flooring that were painted. A small rug, in front of the bed, was the only soft floor covering in the room. Later, I noticed that the floor in our room sagged into the middle. The bedding on the queen size bed was average, at best. My wife went over and laid down on the bed – I could tell that she was completely bummed about our room and this place. After bringing in our luggage, I went to close the curtains and found the next problem – our room was infested with ladybugs. They were clustered in the folded portions of the drapes throughout the room. Although ladybugs are not harmful, the fact that this expensive room had bugs was disgusting. I spent the next hour catching these bugs to make our room bug free. Frankly, it looked like our room had not been used for a while and no one bothered to freshen it up. Then, I discovered that there were no heater controls in our room – guess what: the rooms are NOT separately heated. Instead, there’s one central heater that serves all of the rooms from a control in the hallway. Our room contained NO bottled water, fruit, flowers or any of the special touches that you find in the better B & B’s. No hors d’oeuvres, refreshments or anything was provided in the main house. The only thing that was modern was in the bathroom. However, no window coverings over the upper portions of the bathroom windows made bathing in the bathtub uncomfortable. Now, for the best part, the price: I was charged $350 for this room PLUS a 10% service charge. So, for $385, I got this tasteless room in this spooky place. And, for a finishing touch, again for $385, the wallpaper in our room was peeling off the wall in two places. I was so infuriated with the place, that I cancelled our dinner reservations there and went elsewhere – I wasn’t going to give them another dime.

The following night we stayed at the Windham Hill Inn in West Townshend, Vermont. If you want a true B & B experience, a complete 180-degree difference than The Old Inn, stay at Windham Hill. For less money, we stayed in a beautiful room with all of the little amenities that you expect to see at a high quality B & B.

15 Thank Steve E
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Marlborough
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
#1 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!