“very charming”

The Old Inn on the Green
Geneva, Switzerland
“very charming”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

i wrote my review on the restaurant.
hotel was very charming, . beautiful old house, real new england style. bed linen was beautiful, ralph lauren. we had open fire place and wedgwood porcelain decoration...

bathroom accessory were excellent and had a very nice eucalyptus smell

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank charlotte068

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2011

First a disclaimer: I'm a pretty meticulous hotel reviewer. Because I travel almost every weekend as a wedding photographer, I've had the opportunity to stay in every kind of place imaginable - thus, my standards are high. I was nervous after seeing some bad reviews. But all of that dissolved immediately. We are actually still here, and I just could't wait to write the review. We are in a large room with a balcony. We even have our own little foyer and separate private bathroom. Ask for Room 192! The bed is insanely comfortable. We have been leaving our balcony doors open at night - it's heavenly with the cool breeze blowing in. The pool is beautiful and feels very South of France. The staff here is absolutely incredible. Every single person we've encountered has gone out of their way to help us, or make something easier, do us a favor, whatever. We are wedding photographers, and worked a very long day yesterday at Gedney Farm next door. When we walked in at 12:30 a.m., the manager James, even though it was obvious he was cleaning up for the night, offered to pour us a drink. We sat at the bar with him and Sero (another employee who was on his way out) and had the best conversation over a great glass of wine (and bourbon for my husband). I mean, who stays late for people like that?! I was blown away by their kindness and selflessness. We've already had one dinner at the restaurant, and all the raves are right on. We have another dinner there tonight. It's the most romantic dining room I've ever been in; the best service; amazing food; great wine list. Ah! There's really not enough space for me to gush about this inn. I can't wait to come back someday. Few last notes: Love the bathroom amenities; housekeeping is super fast and thorough and mindful (no early-morning knocks!) In fact we never even see them. Breakfast is amazing. The only constructive criticism I'd give is for the inn to put some outdoor furniture on the grounds for people to sit out and read. Maybe hammocks too. I've seen some other reviewers mention that, and they're right. It's a beautiful property - would have loved to hang out on the grounds more. Oh, and afternoon tea service would be a nice addition.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room. If possible, get Room 192. I feel like it must be the best one :)
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SuperWaterGirl
plainview
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We visited the inn for a two night stay. The rooms were large, comfortable and clean with tv and satellite. There is a pool but very few old worn pool chairs to sit at. The dinner we had at the inn was amazing. There are no electric lights in the dining room. The room is lit by candles alone. It is very romantic. The breakfast was continental style. The bakery items were fresh and delicious. The only downside to the inn was the owners and most of the people who worked there. Nobody was friendly. Nobody asked if we needed anything or if we wanted information about the area. There were no extra amenities like afternoon tea. If you are looking for warm and fuzzy, don't come to this inn.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mytwins
Calabasas
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We went to the area for a wedding at Gedney Farm and were very excited to be staying at at a local B&B. However, we were very disappointed with the accommodations , service, cleanliness and lack of hospitality of the innkeepers. There was no one to welcome or check us in, and we saw the woman, Mary, once when she came out to scold us for our poor job of parking our car near her grass. The room was extremely overpriced, not to mention an assortment of flies, moths and who knows what else. The restaurant was the one bright spot of the trip. Dinner was very good and the baked goods in the morning were acceptable. Don't waste your money, and find another place to stay where you won't get the creeps while you are trying to fall asleep!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank Willowwildcat
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Spent New Years Eve dinner at Old Inn on the Green. It was mostly a good experience. Only option was a price fixe 8 course tasting menu. They did a very good job accommodating replacements for 3 of the seafood courses for me. Understanding it would be along meal (2.5 hours), some of the earlier courses were very small....like one oyster. I think by the end...no one left hungry. The ambiance was wonderful. The only light was that from candles both on the table and in overhead chanderliers. The rustic nature of the inn itself added to its charm. Service was professional and approriate. Overall, the menu was creative but surprisingly bland. It was all good but never outstanding which is what we expected at the price. Might be worth a try with their standard menu.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 7 July 2010

With the one exception of the food, which was very nice, the Old Inn on the Green was a huge disappointment for my wife and I.

The absolutely shockingly poor service from everyone we encountered made this trip unpleasant. For the price of the inn we expected excellent treatment. What we got was the following:
- A rude, seemingly disinterested waiter who never once even bothered to check up on us to see how we were doing.
- No one around in the morning for breakfast! We sat in the dining room for 15 minutes and had a muffin from the table while waiting for someone to come and give us coffee - nobody ever came.

Besides the food - there is nothing else remarkable about this place. The building is very old (which is probably the draw for a lot of people, but that means certain things don't work well (like the shower)). Despite being in the beautiful Berkshires, the property has no view to speak of whatsoever. There are also no 'grounds' at the Inn - not even a bench (besides on the front porch) to sit outside.

If you want to stay on the property, there are only 2 places you can be - in your room or at the restaurant (the entire first floor is a restaurant).

Overall - save your money (this place is not cheap!) and go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AdamBoston82
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I am writing this review to give some information on an exceptional B&B. I stayed here while Skiing with friends in the area. I see alot of complaints about terrible old rooms with wood panel bathrooms and loud noise. This was not my experience at all. I had an amazing room with standard High tech amenities, Huge Jacuzzi tub bathroom, IPOD dock, and fireplace. The rooms were extrmely quiet. There are two houses for the B&B the main house where the restaurant is and an additional house next door. STAY next door if you want a great room with no noise. That house is more pricey but you get what you pay for.

The owners are the nicest people, extremely friendly. The continental breakfast was amazing! Fresh pressed coffee made for you to order with fresh jams and homemade pastrys. In the evening we had the tasting menu and it was AMAZING! I have eaten in many of the top restaurants of the world and this is on my list as one of my favorites. The waiter and sommolier were so friendly and knowledgable. They even sent us out extra courses that weren't on the menu. We were the last couple in the restaurant and after our dinner walked a few feet away outside to our room. That was one of my favorite weekends and I look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Marlborough
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
#1 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!