“Go for the Food and stay somewhere else”

The Old Inn on the Green
North Haven, CT
“Go for the Food and stay somewhere else”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We had to find someone to check us in, we were taken toThayer House, showed the public rooms,took me up stairs to a room that was not our room. (I had picked our room from the photos on line). When I told whoever this was (no name) that this was room 205 not 191 he told me to wait there while he checked. (he could have called on the phone. After a long wait, I went back down stairs to my friend. He came back to say we were in the main building. I moved the car again and he took us in and up a dark very steep set of stairs. This corner room did have a lot of windows (thank goodness) and lamps. We had a couch and chair along with the two beds. We did not have a bidet, bathtub, bathsalts, TV or fireplace. We had wifi but no cell service. There is no cell service anywhere in this town. While my bed was quite comfortable, my friends was lumpy and as the floor tilted, so did the bed.
Our dinner was delicious but the dining room was so dark that it was very hard to read the menu. It was also hard to see the food and as I had beef shortribs, I did need to be able to find the fat. This building did not have any public seating areas.
We had to search through the rooms to find where breakfast was served. After sitting and waiting, I noticed that another guest had left the room and returned with a bowl. I asked her where to find the food. It was (truly) in the furthest room from where we sat as it could be. 4 rooms and two halls away. There was a lovely assortment of fresh fruit and some unlabled bowls (later we learned they were yogart--strange looking-- and creme fresch and stewed apricots). Also whole fruit, homemade granola and warm hard cooked eggs.
We were finally served fresh pastries that were delicious, coffee, tea and juice by another person who did not identify himself (learned later it was Patrick the owner).
There is nothing to do in this town, you must go to Great Barrington, Lee, Stockton or Lenox but they are not very far.
They do not serve dinner on Monday so we had to dine out.
I had to ask for the voucher that was included in our Travelzoo deal. Do not pay full price if you must stay here, it will not be worth it.
When checking out I met a woman who did not give her name.
This was a dark gloomy depressing place for dining dinner and breakfast. Our room was clean and quiet but the stairs were treacherous.
We won't be back and can not recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank mimibev

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We both love OLD inns - the older the better. We have stayed at many in New England over the years, and have pretty much loved all of the them, but The Old Inn on The Green surpasses every one of them, because, for us, it was perfect in every single way. Down a winding highway from the main road, hidden in a tiny hamlet unspoiled by time, the Inn sits back at the side of the village green, watching the world go by, as it has done since 1760. We are so grateful to Peter and Meredith for restoring, without spoiling, this wonderful old bit of history. We chose to stay in The Thayer House, which sits on the same property, and is just as old, because of the beautiful clawfoot tub and Palladian windows which are shown in one of their pictures on the website. I wanted to have a grand old soak in that glorious tub, and I did!! If you like old with all the modern conveniences, this place is for you! The floors are the original planks, they creak a little,
and are a bit wonky (which we love!), the fireplaces are original, and both The Thayer House and the main part of the inn just ooze character. The icing on the cake, so to speak, is the food - without a doubt, the best meal of any inn we have ever stayed at in New England. Since it was our Anniversary, we decided to go all out and ordered the Tasting Menu, with the Wine Pairing. Every morsel was creative and delicious, all crafted by Peter Platt, the chef/owner, with absolutely the finest ingredients, local whenever possible. The wine matches were perfect with every single course. Add to this amazing food the atmosphere of dining by complete candlelight - absolutely no electricity in the dining room, and the smooth, charming service, and we walked back to our room thinking this had been an experience that would not soon be topped in our travels. Our sleep was heavenly, on a comfy mattress, in complete, I mean complete, silence. You can't hear a thing - what a joy! The next morning we had breakfast in the same dining room, and in addition to a smorgasbord of yummy fruits, yogourt, and granola, were treated to a basket full of warm pastries made that morning at their Smithfield Store (by Meredith - baker extraordinaire). This is a 5 minute drive away and a great little stop for lunch. All this lovely baking plus a huge pot of Bodum coffee, and fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice - what could be better?!
Don't be intimidated by the fact that this is an upscale inn with upscale prices. Peter and Meredith couldn't be more welcoming and friendly, and the atmosphere is very casual. You would be just as comfy in dressy casual as in black tie - and you could run into both in the dining room. I know I have really gushed on about the Old Inn on the Green, but the fact is, we just simply loved everything about it, and even though it is a 9 hour drive from our house to there, we will most definitely be going back. This is a destination not to be missed. Thank you, Meredith and Peter, for all you have done for this wonderful old place.

Room Tip: Take any room - just go!
2 Thank highlander88
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We can't wait to go back! This place is perfect for those who are looking for a real escape from the frenetic lifestyle of 2012. We had two days of perfect R&R at this quaint 1700s inn. The "Green" of "Old Inn on the Green" is just that- don't go looking for a town with shops full of overpriced tacky souvenirs - there are none.It is literally on and surrounded by green. The proprietors recently purchased a former general store about a mile and a half away and converted it to a great low key cafe with more of their incredible food- pastries, sandwiches etc. I hear there is an incredible Sunday brunch- wish we could have stayed. The Inn itself was perfectly lovely- as were the innkeepers. The food was delicious and we dined by candlelight. There are no lights at all in the dining rooms. Very romantic!The entire experience was like stepping back in time to a simpler life where one can appreciate a wonderful meal, a beautiful rural setting, a great hike, a comfy bed, no cell phone reception, and no TV! They do have wireless for those who can't bear to disconnect from the world. I am already thinking of planning our next visit. You will not be disappointed unless you are looking for a sterile, modern, pretentious hotel with lots of deadbolts. Thank you Peter and Meredith!

Room Tip: The fitness center here is the outdoors! Can't think of a better way to excercise!
1 Thank Sandra C
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I love this place for its setting. The food is fantastic with creative and delicious use of locally grown foods. Good place for foodies with a decent wine list. Don't expect extravagance from the Inn, just clean, quiet, and peaceful comfort. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank annie1018
Lincoln Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed for two nights at this old authentic inn. It was delightful. There were two general living rooms which authentic furnishings, rugs, antiques and fireplaces. Our spacious bedroom with fireplace off the living rooms was comfortable and lovely. The linens and window treatments were exquisite and the bathroom large. The candlelit dining room was romantic with fine dining, perhaps the finest I have ever experienced. The meals were delicious. We never dine at the same place while on vacation but it was just too delicious to go anywhere else. The staff was warm and very professional for both breakfast and dinner. The pastries at breakfast were the best I've ever tasted. I would recommend this inn.

Room Tip: there are two inns within a few feet on the premises, we chose the Thayer House and would choose it...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank barbara d
Lake Grove, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

This historic property has one of the finest restaurants in New England.
We have stayed here more than once and will return to experience the charm and simplicity of past centuries. This is not a place for everyone but if you want an easy pace, the feel of yesteryear and elegant dining this is the spot.
The soft-spoken owners and staff (who are always available) are perfect hosts. Many thanks for a wonderful stay!

1 Thank vinoperson1
Rockaway, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

When I arrived it took over 1/2 hour to find someone at the inn to check me in. I had to search the grounds and finally I wondered in to the restaurant's kitchen and found the cook to check me in. As I was searching the inn i would not believe how dark and dingy the place was. When the cook was checking me in he walked me over to the other building that did not have any door knobs are locks on building. When he showed me my room the door was a plywood door with no door knows or locks. I felt very vulnerable staying at a Bed and Breakfast with no locks to the build and non on my room. What was I supposed to do with my valuables?? I had my laptop and SLR camera worth over $5000.00. Several of the windows in the room had large cracks in them and the room was very damp and cold. There was only one thermostat for the building and none in the room. It was located down the hall. The room had hardwood planks for floors that were painted and very dirty. The bathroom ceiling had no sheet rock and was very water stained with mold.

After 2 hours I decided that this was not a nice place and very insecure. I could not find the innkeeper to check out so I left.

9 Thank Michael V
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Marlborough
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
#1 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!