“We Stayed Twice”
Review of Clark Currier Inn

Clark Currier Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Newburyport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We were on our way to northern Maine and stopped for lunch in Newburyport. It looked like a nice place to spend the night. We asked about vacancies at the local chamber of commerce and they gave us some phone numbers. We called and booked the Clark room. We were in walking distance of everything and the parking was free. We didn't think there was a TV (which we don't mind) but after hearing a conversation at breakfast, we discovered that the TV was hidden in a piece of furniture but could be accessed easily if you knew where to look. The breakfast consisted of yogurt, cereals, breads and biscuits, locally made jam, juice, coffee and tea. Just the right amount of selection. We enjoyed it so much that we reserved the same room for our return trip from Maine back to Boston.

Room Tip: We like to stay on the ground floor because we don't like to carry bags up stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BarbaraE3

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed one night on the third floor. The Noyes room I think. Well decorated with an air conditioner so comfortable temperature. Bathroom was also very nice. No TV in the room, which is fine. Excellent Wi-fi. Very convenient to the town- all with in walking distance. Also plenty of free parking in the back. We didn't go to the breakfast- was probably very good but everyone sits at one table in an intimate room - we like a bit more privacy then that. The staff were kind and helpful.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Clark Currier Inn on several occasions during our trips to New England. The inn is a charming 1803 house that has been wonderfully restored by the innkeeper. The house is beautifully furnished with the perfect touches that an old, stately home deserves. The innkeeper and his staff are always extremely pleasant, helpful, and courteous, as well as knowledgeable about the Newburyport area (restaurants, events, shopping). After our latest visit, I would like to particularly commend Kendra. Kendra is an extremely helpful member of the staff. She is kind, considerate, and very helpful to everyone she meets. She is also professional and does an excellent job taking reservations, greeting guests, and helping out in anyway she can. The Clark Currier Inn is a grand inn, and the staff is the finest anywhere. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms at the CCI are beautiful. Each is unique in its own way. You would not be disappo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sue F
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

Made a reservation to receive my statement & find I was over charged. Called & spoke w rude person who said that was the charge but that was not the amount we discussed. So they without authorization overcharged my account. I told them to credit my account & they told me there was a $20 charge which was never discussed. I certainly didn't want to stay there after this so I allowed them to credit me minus the $20 which I am having my credit card company dispute. Then I call later & speak w the manager Bob Nolan who is just as rude. The person I previously spoke w kept saying I was lying/wrong.... And told me my account would credit immediately but my credit card company said it would take 12-14 days. I told the manager and he just said, "we did our part, what your credit card company does is your problem". How these rude, nasty people stay in business is beyond me!!

Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Freshnetworkvermont
Daniel N, Owner at Clark Currier Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

When an individual makes a reservation, all the girls at the Inn are required to fill in the same form with information provided by the guest. The important subjects and required sign offs are: name, phone number, credit card info, date of stay, room rate, arrival time and where did you hear about us. They then explain the cancellation policy including the cancellation fee. This is the same for all reservations. In this case of this potential guest, she told us the internet or web is where she found us. Our web site discusses room rates and that we are required to collect the MA lodging tax (almost 10%) and that the cancellation fee of $20 is assessed for all cancellations. Kendra, who took this reservation, remembers she told this potential guest about the cancellation policy. They discussed the possibility of illness and the guest was told we would have to capture our costs. Our cancellation fee is used to cover the expense of all transactions; debit, credit (refund), processing fees and local bank charges.
On refunds; we gave her refund less the fee on the day she called. We have no control over when her bank processes the transaction. For this she thinks we are rude. We tried to be pleasant. We know that when the Inn processes a reservation, we see a 1-3 day turn around, not 12-14 days as she states. Overwhelmingly positive reviews are given to the Clark Currier Inn. We do get a very small percentage of guests that are difficult to satisfy. In this case, this guest never stayed with us and maybe that is for the best.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stumbled into Newburyport in the early evening with no reservations. Googled B & B's and the Inn popped up. Since it was mid week early in the season, they had a vacancy. We had a nice room in the front of the house with lots of period furniture. Within walking distance to downtown, but we would recommend the short drive to Bob Lobster on Plum Island for a delicious, well priced dinner. Breakfast was simple but good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol Y
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My Husband and I had the best stay at the Clark Currier Inn. The Inn Keeper and House Keepers were very sweet and welcoming. We stayed in the Currier room which was perfect, queen size bed, tv, big bathroom and a sitting area that over looked the street. Breakfast was simple yet filling the fresh fruits were a plus. I would deff. recomend the inn it was very charming and a perfect get away.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen G
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The Clark Currier Inn is beautiful old home (mansion really) and well appointed. The inn is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Newburyport. Before arriving, I got a call from the inn keeper Kendra and she informed me that since it was a slow weekend, she was upgrading us to a suite. The Nolan suite had a beautiful sitting room with a piano, stove, chandelier as well as two bedrooms and bathroom. The beds were comfy and the bath was spacious. Plenty of clean towels and a heater in the bath was great. The rooms were spotless and well maintained. Since my friend and I were the ONLY ones in the inn, (meaning we were the ONLY ones, not a single other soul that night) I did get a little spooked once due to some unknown noises, but otherwise slept pretty well. We walked to all of the shops and pubs. It was a great girl's weekend. I would recommend this to anyone who likes luxury, old world charm, convenience and friendly folks.

Room Tip: Each room has it's own character, view the website for pictures of each before booking.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Essex Street Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
#2 of 2 in Amesbury
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook

Been to Clark Currier Inn? Share your experiences!