“Cold Night, Hot Accommodations”

Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newburyport
Rockport, Massachusetts
“Cold Night, Hot Accommodations”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My wife Deb and I have stayed twice at the Garrison and both times has been memorable occasions. You can feel the history of this elegant Inn and enjoy modern convenience as well. One other thing....Breakfast!!!!! WOW, Beyond The Beyond!!!

If you want a grand stay the Garrison is the place!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Just spent the Xmas holiday in my hometown staying at the Garrison Inn. The staff is so lovely I almost hesitate to give any suggestions but that's what this is all about so here goes.

The check in was very simple and fast. We were assigned our rooms on FL 2 and given multiple sets of keys. The lobby was perfectly decorated for Christmas and it was warm and welcoming.

Upon entering the room we were impressed. We felt cheap not springing for an upgraded room with firelace but the decor is lovely. Most notable is the older decor like the desk, light fixtures and molding. The mix of old and new feels a bit random but the room looked comfy. It's great that it's been renovated. The bathrooms are less renovated but still clean and comfy.

The bed. It was smaller than our bed at home but the mattress was not comfy and the pillows were like 2 kleenex. I swear it impacted both our sleep as we hardly felt like we had anything under us. Also it can be slightly loud at night.

Overall the locale is incredible. We could walk downtown to eat, shop or look at the tree. The afternoon tea at Garrison was so lovely and each staff member treated us like gold. A little updates of beds and pillows could make it perfect. We also loved having David's restaurant downstairs. It's a token to the past and we appreciated all of their staff too. For $179/night plus tax I hoped for a bit more.

It seems like the Garrison and David's are run by great folks but that there is a little hesitance to move beyond the 80's with some decor, liquor offerings and overall mindset. I would still recommend it as a great little gem. I would give up the breakfast if it meant the rooms were 100%.

Room Tip: Ask for extra pillows or bring your own from home.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Our family absolutely loves the Garrison Inn! All of the staff are extremely friendly and helpful! The location is ideal to walk everywhere. The lobby is so elegant and the breakfast room is perfect!!

Room Tip: we loved the junior suite loft, great view and fun loft for the kids!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Indiana
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We spent a day in Newburyport on our way to the Maine coast on a vacation in July with our school age children. No doubt this town is geared toward romantic inns and the like. However, the Garrison seemed to offer more spacious rooms/suites and access to a pool plus our kids are experienced travellers. Unfortunately, the inn was disappointing on several counts. The building seems rather worn and the rooms do have a really odd decor. The mix of old building with exposed brick wall coordinating(or not) with mod leather just wasn't working for me. The space has real potential but the current decor was really distracting. In view of that, things like the smaller bathroom were irritating rather than charming. The inn also boasts an indoor pool at a nearby health club. Turns out this was a Y with limited hours when the pool was open to guests. The breakfast area was nice(captured the charm of the place otherwise lacking) and the food was good. For a family I would recommend just making Newburyport a day trip and spending the night elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank IndianaTravelmom
Brandon, Vermont
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice, and it was wonderful both times, despite the weather being brutal both times, I just love this hotel. Close to a few real nice restaurants, and a terrific spa across the street. The rooms we stayed in both times were great, among the best I've ever been in. My lasting impression is that this hotel is exceptionally quiet and it was hard to tell if there were aby other guests staying there either time! We find ourselves specifically talking about going to stay at the Garrison even with relatives within driving distance.

• Stayed March 2013
Middlewich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed at the Garrison whilst travelling on business. Everything about the hotel suited me well. A nice clean and spacious room, well maintained each day. A boutique hotel so really nicely decorated and different to your 'typical' hotel.
The breakfast each morning was great and cooked to order and to your liking. The only small criticism is that I could have always eaten more - but to be fair I didn't take the initiative and ask for more and I was never left hungry.
The staff were helpful and charming and really made me feel welcome.
I'd highly recommend both the Garrison and Newburyport.

Room Tip: I think they're all pretty good - that's the feeling I got anyway
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We wanted a last minute romantic overnight winter get-away, someplace not too far to drive and with options for nice meals out and Christmas shopping. Newburyport was perfectly charming and we hadn't been in many years. The hotel was conveniently within walking distance of the center and was a cozy small place. You could even go across the street and use the gym and pool facilities - which we never used in our short visit - but liked having the option!

Our room was very cozy and warm upon arrival and with solid wood shutters on the windows and nice bedding, it seemed like a recipe for a good night's sleep. There was a nice tea service set up in the lobby in the afternoon with porcelain cups and trays so you could take it to your room. The lobby was also nicely decorated for the holidays. Checking in could not have been simpler - I never even had to pull out my credit card or sign anything. They just handed over the keys.

As for our room, it was hard to pin down the style. Perhaps I have high expectations because I work in interior design....but some design choices seemed odd to me. The room had a cool exposed brick wall with a wall mounted television which was a nice touch given the age of the building and the location. The lights also were dimmable, also nice! Walls were a boring beige, little artwork, but the carpet was new, with a subtle design. What confused me was the black laquered/leather furniture. It was low and sleek and modern and somehow didn't work with the architecture and the rest of the decor that included ornate gilded brass sconces, a formal silver tray etc.. a small antique side table etc. I suppose they were going for eclectic?

The bathroom was very basic - beige, beige, beige - and probably could use minor updates. But it was truly spotless. Housekeeping does a fantastic job here! Nice robes were hanging there and a hair dryer. Bulgari toiletries which had a really strong scent that didn't appeal to me but probably do to many people. We found it very odd that there was absolutely no place to hang a towel in the bathroom. There was one robe hook on the back of the door that held - you guessed it - the robes. But once you used a towel - even a hand towel - there was no place to hang it.

And the good night's sleep? Didn't happen. The combo heater/ac unit installed in the window would cycle on and off during the night and started up each time with loud roar....and made lots of noise while running as well. Probably about 3am we got up and just shut the whole thing off it was so disruptive. Also, our room was located next to the stairwell and in the morning we woke early to consistent noise of doors banging and echoing which we think came from the stairs every few seconds. I can't imagine that a rush of guests were all going to breakfast at the same time - but we think maybe the kitchen was accepting deliveries? Not sure but it kept us up.

Breakfast was indeed individually cooked and nice to have included. We both had versions of Eggs Benedict which were fine but nothing special, they came automatically with corned beef hash. There was tea, coffee, and juice and some breakfast cakes available. The woman single handedly preparing breakfast, serving and clearing tables was very accommodating and also gave us an additional bowl of granola even though she was busy cleaning up the breakfast service.

Overall, they definitely try hard! The building could probably use a few updates (the basement area with the ice machine looked shabby plus a few other things here and there) but you can tell that someone cares! Would go back since it seemed the best option in the area!

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room next to the stairs - as well as elevator!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelgirl216
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Essex Street Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in Rockport
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#5 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!