“Excellent Service”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newburyport
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband recently surprised me with a birthday get-away weekend in Newburyport and when our original accommodations fell through at the last minute due to repairs, (that's a whole other review!) the Garrison Inn really stepped up. Not only did they find us a room at 2pm on a Saturday, but they gave us a complimentary upgrade to one of their best rooms in light of the milestone celebration.

The Inn is walkable to any Newburyport shop or restaurant you may want to visit. We had a lovely and quiet stay complete with a great made-to-order breakfast in their cozy tea room. Being a tea lover, I really enjoyed the tea bar in the lobby complete with a collection of antique cups and saucers. The staff even provided us with a silver pitcher for hot water and a tray so we could enjoy a warm cup in our room.

The "room" was a spacious two floor suite. There have been some comments on the decor choices and while they are certainly eclectic it's not outrageous. The juxtaposition of the exposed brick and some of the more modern accents might not be to everyone's taste. I do have to agree that form seems to have been prioritized over function when they were designing the rooms. Everything looks great, but there is nowhere to hang a hand towel in the bathroom. Certainly not a huge inconvenience, just odd.

Overall a great experience thanks to the staff at the Garrison Inn!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My wife Deb and I have stayed twice at the Garrison and both times has been memorable occasions. You can feel the history of this elegant Inn and enjoy modern convenience as well. One other thing....Breakfast!!!!! WOW, Beyond The Beyond!!!

If you want a grand stay the Garrison is the place!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Just spent the Xmas holiday in my hometown staying at the Garrison Inn. The staff is so lovely I almost hesitate to give any suggestions but that's what this is all about so here goes.

The check in was very simple and fast. We were assigned our rooms on FL 2 and given multiple sets of keys. The lobby was perfectly decorated for Christmas and it was warm and welcoming.

Upon entering the room we were impressed. We felt cheap not springing for an upgraded room with firelace but the decor is lovely. Most notable is the older decor like the desk, light fixtures and molding. The mix of old and new feels a bit random but the room looked comfy. It's great that it's been renovated. The bathrooms are less renovated but still clean and comfy.

The bed. It was smaller than our bed at home but the mattress was not comfy and the pillows were like 2 kleenex. I swear it impacted both our sleep as we hardly felt like we had anything under us. Also it can be slightly loud at night.

Overall the locale is incredible. We could walk downtown to eat, shop or look at the tree. The afternoon tea at Garrison was so lovely and each staff member treated us like gold. A little updates of beds and pillows could make it perfect. We also loved having David's restaurant downstairs. It's a token to the past and we appreciated all of their staff too. For $179/night plus tax I hoped for a bit more.

It seems like the Garrison and David's are run by great folks but that there is a little hesitance to move beyond the 80's with some decor, liquor offerings and overall mindset. I would still recommend it as a great little gem. I would give up the breakfast if it meant the rooms were 100%.

Room Tip: Ask for extra pillows or bring your own from home.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Our family absolutely loves the Garrison Inn! All of the staff are extremely friendly and helpful! The location is ideal to walk everywhere. The lobby is so elegant and the breakfast room is perfect!!

Room Tip: we loved the junior suite loft, great view and fun loft for the kids!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Indiana
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We spent a day in Newburyport on our way to the Maine coast on a vacation in July with our school age children. No doubt this town is geared toward romantic inns and the like. However, the Garrison seemed to offer more spacious rooms/suites and access to a pool plus our kids are experienced travellers. Unfortunately, the inn was disappointing on several counts. The building seems rather worn and the rooms do have a really odd decor. The mix of old building with exposed brick wall coordinating(or not) with mod leather just wasn't working for me. The space has real potential but the current decor was really distracting. In view of that, things like the smaller bathroom were irritating rather than charming. The inn also boasts an indoor pool at a nearby health club. Turns out this was a Y with limited hours when the pool was open to guests. The breakfast area was nice(captured the charm of the place otherwise lacking) and the food was good. For a family I would recommend just making Newburyport a day trip and spending the night elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank IndianaTravelmom
Brandon, Vermont
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice, and it was wonderful both times, despite the weather being brutal both times, I just love this hotel. Close to a few real nice restaurants, and a terrific spa across the street. The rooms we stayed in both times were great, among the best I've ever been in. My lasting impression is that this hotel is exceptionally quiet and it was hard to tell if there were aby other guests staying there either time! We find ourselves specifically talking about going to stay at the Garrison even with relatives within driving distance.

• Stayed March 2013
Middlewich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed at the Garrison whilst travelling on business. Everything about the hotel suited me well. A nice clean and spacious room, well maintained each day. A boutique hotel so really nicely decorated and different to your 'typical' hotel.
The breakfast each morning was great and cooked to order and to your liking. The only small criticism is that I could have always eaten more - but to be fair I didn't take the initiative and ask for more and I was never left hungry.
The staff were helpful and charming and really made me feel welcome.
I'd highly recommend both the Garrison and Newburyport.

Room Tip: I think they're all pretty good - that's the feeling I got anyway
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Essex Street Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in Rockport
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
#2 of 2 in Amesbury

Been to Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!