“Snottiest "Volunteer" Ever”

Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Newburyport
More attraction details
Owner description: Covering 4,662 acres of diverse upland and wetland habitats, this refuge was established to preserve the feeding, resting and nesting areas of migratory birds.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My review is for the Visitor Center only. Specifically the "volunteer" staffing the desk on the afternoon of June 28. I approached the desk - she would not look up. After standing there for a while, I said "excuse me, we'd like to purchase a pass to view the refuge." She literally snorted and said "You people make me laugh. You really do. I am not allowed to take money. I'm only a volunteer" She then said to go down the road, look for a diner and turn right. Said we probably wouldn't find a parking space, but we could certainly try. I almost always find volunteers to be enthusiastic people who like people and love the cause for which they are volunteering. This one made me feel stupid.

4  Thank LauraBSpa
in 8 reviews
"bring binoculars"
"turkey"
in 4 reviews
"wonderful place to visit"
"year round"
"parking lot"
in 14 reviews
"green heads"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Come to Plum Island's Parker River NWR during winter & you will be amazed by the arctic visitors that causes traffic jams over here. The beautiful hunting machines will provide some magic moments & if you are an early bird you will be rewarded with those moments first hand.

During spring/summer this turns into a place for ospreys & plovers & marshland warblers.

As with any place for wildlife, patience is key here & if you are willing to spend time you shall be rewarded.

1  Thank Agniva_Das
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was a great winter to see snowy owls at Parker River
Parker River is a great place to visit any month out of the year.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great for bird watching and seeing all sorts of wildlife. Many trails to walk, and educational opportunities. Natural beauty at it's best.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Was visiting the area with a friend and she had heard about this place. So we drove out, paid our entrance fee and proceeded to spend a few hours exploring. We really liked walking the beach at the very end of the road. Very nice, scenic, and quiet. We saw wild turkeys along the road as well.
Definitely worth going out of your way to spend a few hours or all day to visit.