“Good Sushi slow service”

Hana Japan Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 101 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The sushi is good, the service is slow,the prices are reasonable. The surroundings look like they came out of Kmart. The spicy scallop roll is excellent and I would say the place is very kid friendly.

1  Thank JohnHC

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Went for dinner on a quiet night. The sushi was just average and I got the sense it had been refrigerated.The service was non-existent. When the main course arrived, the soup and appetizer dishes were left on the table and we were not addressed again until we waved to get the check. Will not return.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Being a bit out of the way for tourists in Newburyport is good news for locals, because if Hana Japan were downtown it would be mobbed. I've been in several times to get takeout, and even with just the locals frequenting Hana Japan, it seems busier and busier every time I go.

The sushi is the best around. The spicy scallop roll in particular is my favorite. Also don't miss out on the Hana Japan Ribs -- they are unbelievable. All of the entrees we've tried have also been excellent (if a bit small on the portion size). The restaurant is on the smaller size, but is tastefully decorated with traditional Japanese items reflecting the owners' heritage (the insignia from the famous sushi school in Japan that the chef trained at is even stenciled onto the sushi bar), and has a warm inviting vibe.

The sushi chef/owner really knows his stuff here, and puts great care and skill into the sushi and the presentation (even for takeout). Watching him work he seems like a cross between a chef, skilled craftsman, and artist, as everything is done in a certain way, and has to be done perfectly. It always takes a little longer than they tell you to get takeout orders ready because of this, but the very nice waitresses (all dressed in authentic kimonos) will guide you over to a sushi bar seat and bring you tea while you wait. I can't wait to actually dine in this place someday, as they have Hot Pot on the menu (dine in only) which I've always wanted to try.

For very high quality and expertly prepared sushi and Japanese cuisine, I can't think of any place on the North Shore that's better. There's something special happening in this little shopping plaza on the outskirts of Newburyport...don't miss it!

1  Thank ChowDaddy1
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I used to live in the Newburyport area, and ate here a number of times, I'm not sure of the dates. It was near the grocery store, Shaws where I shopped. It is hidden in a strip mall behind a number of chains, but seek it out if you like Japanese food. I was glad to see a recent review that showed it was still open because I felt it deserved more attention than it gets and people who stay only in downtown might not know about it. The owners are authentic Japanese, and very nice. I spoke with them, Here you can get real Japanese cuisine, somewhat of a rarity in New England. I have come to really love Japanese food after living for years in NYC and then in Toronto, where there were also some good places. I look for things outside the standard supermarket sushi, and for the authentic Japanese dishes, such as Chawanmushi, steamed custard with shrimp, a dish they serve on special menus or Goma Ae, spinach with sesame sauce. The other review is correct, their Bento boxes are also very good. Of course, they feature other traditional Japanese fare, such as Donburi, Unagi Don (grilled eel) [don't squeal, its great], tempura, teriyaki, yakisoba, and udon. The dining area is lovely, unexpected for the location. If you love Japanese food as I do, or if you want to try something new, try Hana Japan!

1  Thank dlmFL
Reviewed 23 August 2011

My husband is Japanese American from the West Coast. Since living on the New Hampshire Seacoast, we've been in search of a good Japanese Restaurant. It took us 3 years and Hana Japan Restaurant is that restaurant. While people might shy away because it is in a strip Mall (exit 57 off I-95), the food is excellent. It is owned and operated by Mr & Mrs Takahashi, who are from Japan and have previously owned and operated a restaurant in Sacramento, CA
Everything we've eaten there is wonderful, tempura, teriyaki and sushi. We love their Bento Boxes which is a divided box that you can order with a variety of options. We eat there at least once a month sometimes twice a month. We have brought many of our friends who love Japanese food and several who have never had "REAL" Japanese food (versus Benehana flashing knives type). Everyone has enjoyed the meals.

1  Thank taxesgal