“WAY beyond a raw bar”
Review of Brine

Brine
Reserve with OpenTable
Brine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 102 Restaurants in Newburyport
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Essex St.
Description: Welcome To Brine! Newburyport's First Oyster, Crudo and Chop Bar! We have differant oysters available each and every day, the freshest seafood selections, and prime beef selections from the butcher. Enjoy live shucking behind our bar as well as intriguing seafood preparations created daily by our Chefs. Brine serves dinner until 10:30pm Monday- Wednesday, and 11:45pm Thursday- Sunday. We are also open for lunch Saturday & Sundays 12:00-4:00pm. The interior is beautifully decorated with notes of stainless steel and a beautiful marble bar as the focal point. Come enjoy a delicious meal with us at the bar or a table and relax a bit, in our fun, upbeat cozy spot right in the center of State Street!
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had dinner there with my wife last night and was blown away. Very creative dishes and friendly staff made it a perfect night out. My wife is a vegetarian and does not eat fish, but they were willing to get creative and knocked the ball out of the park. Thank you to the Brine team - we will be back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I went there a couple of weeks ago with my family and another family with whom we spend a week on Plum Island each year. I don't know why we had never tried Brine before, but we will certainly be back. The menu is eclectic but not precious, and they have a nice selection of small plates, which you can combine with other small plates and/or appetizers/salads/soup to make a meal with a greater variety of tastes than if you go for a big main course.Though they do some nice meant and fish mains as well. Their raw oyster list changes often, depending on what is available. My daughter and I shared a dozen oysters - 4 each of 3 varieties - and they were fresh, delicious, each different from the others. They come with 4 sauces: mignonette, traditional ketchup/horseradish cocktail sauce, and two aiolis, one with habaneros (I wouldn't recommend putting this on an oyster, as good as it is, since it will obliterate the delicate taste of the poor mollusc). I followed this with clam chowder, which was unlike any chowder I've ever eaten. Satin-smooth, tiny potato chips floating on top for crunch, a couple of whole clams and a crispy little nugget of pork belly. The soup has more of a clam "essence," if that's the word than any other I've had. Finally, I had one of their small plates: a poached egg with fried oysters and bacon. Superb. My wife had the baby octopus with lentils, also fantastic, and one of our friends had the duck duo (breast and sausage), which was also terrific. We went through a couple of bottles of a very good Oregon pinot noir - I've forgotten which one. We liked it so much my friend and I went there before dinner the next day and sat at the bar and polished off a dozen raw oysters. It is not cheap; the bill for 8 of us came to over $600 with tax and tip, but it was well worth it. We'll be back!

1  Thank ckrakoff
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Newburyport is a charming little town not too far north of Boston. We had dinner there last Saturday night at a small seafood joint on the main street. This in no clam shack but an upscale Boston chef version of local fresh fare from the sea. Though there was a tempting array of raw shellfish, we started with a smoked blue fish pate on crostini. It and all dishes were beautifully presented with crispy vegetables, fresh toast and mouth watering fish. Not being extremely hungry , we had the buttered lobster salad instead of a main course. I've eaten a lot of lobster around New England but this was one of the most succulent. The fresh summer salad was full of plump juicy tail pieces in a terrific sauce. It was a great summer night to sit out on the few outside tables and watch the world go by. The service was a bit slow but other than that an excellent meal experience.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

AWWW SHUCKS!, Seriously, AWWW SHUCKS! Pricey. Small. Clean. Trendy. VERY VERY Clean! GREAT Crudo. Great Service. NO SHELLS in our perfect oysters. Sinful clams on the half shell. Bubbles. Definitely will return. I so want to try mussles and frites. Need not say more....

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Brine is by no means a value based concept. Small portions of mediocre food at New York prices.
Monkfish entree was flavorful but not enough to be considered a meal, even for a female with a light appetite.
prime rib eye was poorly cooked and hardly seared or charred, soft rubbery and cut into strips in kitchen. Seems like a waste to cook such a good cut of meat so poorly. Not to mention the food takes forever and arrived 1/2 cold.

It's obviously the hip place " to be seen " but with this food it will be a " flash in the pan "

File under , " I gave it 2 tried and bit missed twice "