“The waitress was out to lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grog Restaurant

Grog Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 95 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nahant, Massachusetts
“The waitress was out to lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My sister and I needed a quiet place to share a meal. While we went out to lunch, unfortunately, the waitress was also "out to lunch." But, for what it was, it was pretty good. Not "very good" but better than average. My sister had been there before and loves the place, declaring that it had the best Reuben sandwich anywhere. I had the linguini with clams which actually was better than average. But the bread did not come with the meal (we had to ask for it). There was no sugar with my coffee (I had to steal one from another table across the room). The place was quiet enough after four noisy women who were in the dining room finally left. I might go back but there are so many cute restaurants in Newburyport that I might have to try a few others before I do so.

• Visited May 2014

Newburyport, Massachusetts
“the go to for locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Grog is pretty good food for pretty decent prices. Very popular with locals. We try to avoid it during busy summer weekend nights or around holidays -they seem to struggle when busy. Otherwise great value and food. Huge variety of beers. First floor has pub-like vibe and upstairs is quieter and more romantic (upstairs is not open).

• Visited April 2014
Danvers, Massachusetts
“Gluten free onion rings and fried fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I appreciate a restaurant that truly goes the extra mile to deliver gluten free options. As someone with a true gluten allergy, it's rare to find gluten free fried fish, or french fries, let alone gluten free onion rings. Living in New England it's really nice to have "fish and chips". Thanks Grog!!!!

Visited April 2014
Burlington, Canada
“Great dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a very enjoyable dinner at the Grog. The chowder was fantastic and the fish very tasty and cooked to perfection. We were impressed by the service. It was efficient and a great help in choosing what to order.

Visited May 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Decent food; spotty service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

There are many food choices in Newburyport, and I won't be rushing back here. The burgers and the reuben are ok, but nothing great. Service was very slow although the restaurant was not crowded, and the waiter would disappear for long periods. Waited 10 minutes for ketchup while my mediocre fries got cold. Maybe a good pub for a quick beer or two, but better restaurants are nearby.

Visited April 2014