“Perfect getaway!”
Review of Compass Rose Inn

Compass Rose Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Newburyport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The location, service, and beauty of the Compass Rose is amazing! My husband and I stayed here for a getaway in suite 4 with a lovely water/town view. The hospitality was perfect and we loved having cocktails in the upstairs cupola. We will undoubtedly be back!!

Room Tip: Suite 4 has fabulous views!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly61308

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I scoured options in New England for a week's gathering for a family of six from Alabama and California. Since most had not experienced anything like the area north of Boston near the shore and in October, I arranged for us to stay at the Compass Rose Inn in Newburyport because my wife and I like B&Bs. I remember driving through Newburyport many years ago and telling myself I need to get back here. Well, the town was better than I remembered, the weather was perfect, the color was nearing its peak but the BEST surprise, loved by all, was the Compass Rose Inn and the innkeeper, Gloria. What a delight. The rooms/suites were clean and spacious with grand architectural mouldings; the beds were comfy; the breakfasts were delicious; the service was excellent and the conversations were fun and memorable. Gloria recommended several restaurants that were within a short walk from the inn and she nailed them. We stayed for four nights and then I dragged the family to Sandwich, MA to give tham a flavor of the cape and area south of Boston. We had a great time in Newburyport with lots of laughs catching up but I think the highlight of the trip (by all) was the time we spent in and around the inn. We have been to many B&B's around the country and this one now ranks #1 to us. A great memory!

Room Tip: All three rooms had the same layout and were similarly appointed. One suite is on the ground floor w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank EdBecker
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Spent three nights here last week. Beautifully furnished throughout. Spotless and inviting.
Fireplace in our room.Charming! Had to stay on the third floor ( my knees!), but worth the climb.
Host and hostess couldn't have been nicer.
There is an alcove on the second floor landing with a chaise , enormous Oriental platter and a gorgeous plant. Read my Vogue magazine while gazing out from the palladium windows. Heaven!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank llmiii
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My wife and I spent 4 wonderful days the last week in September in Newburyport Massachusetts and stayed at the best bed and Breakfast ever The Compass Rose Inn. The accomodations were first class and the owner and caretaker were perfect hosts. The room was on the ground floor (huge) with a fireplace. Located in the heart of the city we were within walking distance of all the restaurants, shops and attractions. We plan on returning to Newburyport and will without a doubt book at the Compass Rose Inn again!!

2  Thank Robert H
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed at the Compass Rose Inn September 21st and 22nd while in town for a wedding. We were on the 3rd floor which is a bit of climb, but worth the trip. Our suite was delightful, loads of space, a really comfortable bed and a great bathroom set-up for two people trying to bath and dress.. Gloria, the Inn Keeper, came to my aid on Saturday morning when I realized I had packed the wrong dress for the wedding. She directed me to several lovely stores ( Smitten and The Elephant's Trunk) and even offered me one of her dresses as back-up! Our only regret for the weekend was that we didn't have more time to spend lounging around the Inn. Before setting out to buy a replacement dress we had a wonderful breakfast on Saturday morning and enjoyed the chance to chat with other guests. We would absolutely stay here again.

2  Thank bluegrassgirl59
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We have stayed at the Compass Rose Inn twice. Both times on the 2nd floor. In what I call the blue suite. It is so comfortable and beautifully decorated. The living room area with a fire place makes you imagine that you might be visiting a the home of a sea captain of means from a by gone era. The bed room is off the living room separated by french doors. The bath room is elegant and very large. The suites are large.
This inn is fairly new. It looks so much like the lovely homes on High Street both on the in side and out. It has captured the charm of the town. Selfishly hoped to keep this gem a secret.
It is the best in Newburyport, the home town of my mother and grandparents and ancestors. I cannot wait to go back and spend a week there. The breakfasts were wicked good also.

Room Tip: We loved the 2nd floor. Wide stair case makes it easier carrying luggage.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank escapetoreality
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have stayed at many B&B and this may be the best of them all. The rooms are huge, the bath is excellent with a walk in shower, fridge and plenty of room for closthes. The rooms have a seperate bedroom with a nice sitting room with a couch and fireplace.
Across the small street is a god pplace to grab a bite and a drink, 10 Center. short walk to downtown Newburyport.

Room Tip: we stayed in a room on the second floor in the front. it is a lovely room.
2  Thank HoustonRover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
#2 of 2 in Amesbury
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel

Been to Compass Rose Inn? Share your experiences!