“Dreadful Costumer Service, This Inn has gone way downhill”

Essex Street Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newburyport
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I got married last july 7th, 2009, and we checked in that same day for our wedding night and a few more nights for our honeymoon. We are on a REALLY tight budget, so we sadly couldn't book the Bridal suite. We had to book their most inexpensive room, which was the size of a matchbox. Anyway, let me preface this review by saying we had called and emailed the Inn several times prior to our honeymoon, and the staff were WELL AWARE of how special this stay was for us. Was any note made about it to the staff at the desk when we checked in? Clearly not, as the girl was totally oblivious, even when we TOLD her "we just got married" her response? She asked if we had a car with us!!! UNREAL. So, hoping against all hope we could still salvage this I said "Any chance of a room upgrade?" which anyone in the business knows means if a hotel wants to be nice and aren't fully booked they may put you in a better room for the lesser room's price. This person said "let me see" checked her computer, then informs us yes, they have better rooms available, and then she quotes us the prices. Unreal. Also, bear in mind, this was a TUESDAY, and it was pouring rain. NO ONE was going to be checking in that day but us, obviously.

We went to our room a bit defeated and down, not a great feeling on your wedding day. To add to this, I lived on Plum Island many years ago, and since moving away have been back on MANY vacations, and have stayed at the Essex Street Inn at least 15 times over the years. THIS I also informed them of, in advance. One would have thought my years of patronage coupled with my being a new bride would have gotten me at least a "congrats!" or a note in our room upgrade congratulating us, and asking us to let them know if they could do anything to make our Honeymoon more special, etc etc etc. NOTHING.
Then the next morning while getting the sad and sorry breakfast of pre-packaged baked goods and styrofoam cups of coffee a young couple from Florida asked the woman at the desk about suggestions of local things to do, of which there are PLENTY in Newburyport. I listened, in a state of SHOCK, as this emplyee on duty says "Geez, um, I dunno. Maybe go see if the tall ships are in Boston." Then she looks at me and asks ME "are they in Boston today?" WHOA, totally unacceptable for a hotel employee. I said to the couple to please ignore her ridiculous suggestion. Boston is a separate trip, so I gave them ideas for local museums and a glass blowing workshop I knew about. What gives? A hotel staff should be recommending local places, OBVIOUSLY, and be knowledgable about them!

Upon checking out we filled out our guest questionnaire and stated all of our displeasure, and recived no follow up from management. Again: a disappointment.

All in all we had a wonderful short honeymoon, but wished we had chosen another Inn. The Essex Street Inn has renovated over the past 20 years, several times, but in spite of that has gone downhill. WAY downhill. I wish there were an option for zero stars for "service."

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Infoessexstreetinn, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2010

We do try to upgrade frequently during slower months. However during our high season we are limited to giving upgrades. The evening the guest arrived we had several business people arriving from out of state, so we were limited to giving any upgrades.

Our breakfast consists of baked goods which we get delivered from a local bakery weekly. Our paper products are eco friendly and we do not use any styrofoam products .

I have been the manager here for 3 years and happen to be covering the front desk that particular Wednesday morning. I do recall the guest mentioning she was married the evening before and I did congradulate her.

I am very knowledgeable of events and activities in the Newburyport area. The family I was assisting was staying with us for a week and had small children. The weather was poor and after being unsuccessful in finding indoor activies that would have been of interest. I recall the women mentioning they were thinking about taking a trip into Boston for a day during their stay. I was aware that the tall ships would be there and suggested other ideas to them in the city as well.
Several of our guests stay here in Newburyport because we are centrally located between other cities of interest.
I recall her telling me the next day that they went to the Boston Childrens Museum by train and were very pleased.
We are in the accommodations business, we have always been here for our guests, if they needed directions, a suggestion to a restaurant or what there is to do in town. If we are unsure of the information we go to all lenghts possible to find it.
There has been many, many people that have stayed with us either for business or pleasure that have left our Inn satisfied and return often. Kathy Ross, Manager

Reviewed 3 February 2010

Spent a Saturday night in January. The inn was wonderful. The staff was helpful, our room was ready and we were able to check-in early. The one bedroom suite was great, lots of space, fireplace and whirlpool tub. The whole suite was immaculate. It was a great location, easy walk to shops and restaurants. We had dinner at the Black Cow and the food and atmosphere were perfect. After a day of enjoying Newburyport, we had a wonderful nights sleep on a very comfortable mattress. We are definitely going to return for another stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2010

My boyfriend and I have spent the last few Christmas holidays at the Essex Street Inn. We have an interesting living situation (roommates,etc.) and because of that, we have taken our Christmas "on the road". When we check-in to the Bridal Suite, we step into an adorable kitchen with a bathroom off to the side and a cozy living room with a gas fireplace...this is where we set up our mini Christmas tree and look forward to watching 'A Christmas Story' on the flat screen TV. Upstairs, the bedroom has the most comfortable king-sized bed we've EVER slept in (even wrote down the name from the label on the mattress this time). The master bathroom is huge with a kitty-corner Jacuzzi tub built for two (our favorite amenity). There is also a spectacular view from the rooftop balcony! It really has become our home away from home. The staff is very accomodating, the unit is immaculate and the location couldn't be better. Need a last minute Christmas gift? Walk 50ft. to Newburyport's finest shops and restaurants. Thanks to the Essex Street Inn for another wonderful and memorable Christmas...

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2009

When doing research for accomodations in this historic town, we had found The Essex Street Inn. It looked very inviting, comfy and just sweet. The description of the Inn just seemed so appealing. We knew we would have a very nice relaxing get away.

Upon arrival we opened the front doors to be overwhelmed with the strong breathtaking smell of PINESOL cleaners. It was pretty gross. The decor was very "TIRED" and the Inn looked very old. We arrived a little early and our rooms were not ready. (totally understandable since we were early) It was very depressing and not a very comfy atmosphere.
*We didn't want to judge the Inn without seeing the rooms.
We arrived back at the Inn a few hours later to get settled in the room.
The room was just not what we expected. The carpet was ancient, the decor was very weak, and the walls were just white. -- looked very institution like. The Inn needs a complete face lift to bring it up to par. The headboard was so loose that when you sat on the bed it almost fell on top of you. The bathroom was grossly old. (bubbled toilet seat, broken mirror, and just old.
This was not a very nice Inn. Would never recommend... would never stay again. When you read the advertising brochure for this Inn it seems like a marvelous cozy retreat. There was not one thing true on that brochure except for the wonderful location. You cannot beat the location.
Upon leaving .. the staff wasn't even friendly. Inn's are supposed to be welcoming, inviting and enjoyable. This Inn was just not comfy, nor was it a place to ever recommend.
This place could be beautiful if it had some TLC. It sure does need it!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trufflesnj
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Unfortunately there is a real lack of lodging options in Newburyport and location was most important to us so we chose the Inn. The Inn itself was clean, the room small but comfortable, and the staff friendly. It's also a real bonus to have free parking and a free computer in the foyer to check email, etc. My main complaint was not sleeping all night because the walls are paper-thin and the door had gaps around it so it sounded like people were talking in our actual room! We stayed in late-fall and it was so noisy all night so I can't imagine what it's like during the summer. My suggestion would be stay here for the great location and reasonable price but bring your ear plugs! People were staggering around yelling, crying, and the neighbors bed banged against the wall for about 20 minutes...and all this happened after 3am! Not sure where these people were coming from since everything is closed by that time. I realize this is not really the fault of the inn but the age and layout make for a noisy experience. Get a room away from the staircase and street if possible.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2009

The "Elegant Room" was far from it! Dinghy, everything from bed linens, towels, furnishings just plain worn out; I wrote my name in the dust on the headboard! Not the charming well-appointed place it claims to be. Photos are very decptive. Can't fathom what a regular room would be like. Poor attirude from staff, basically my fault for complaining!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank LeonaQOM
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My husband and I stayed here during the Newburyport Music Festival and it is in a perfect location close to resaurants and shops. Clean and spacious rooms (sometimes at inns the rooms are tiny - but ours was very comfortable). We had stayed here before when we came down to go to The Grog to see a band and it is so close by - very convenient. When we stayed before, we had another room before and that room was large as well. Not a huge breakfast - but definately good to get you on started on your day.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#5 of 41 in Hampton
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge

Been to Essex Street Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!