I got married last july 7th, 2009, and we checked in that same day for our wedding night and a few more nights for our honeymoon. We are on a REALLY tight budget, so we sadly couldn't book the Bridal suite. We had to book their most inexpensive room, which was the size of a matchbox. Anyway, let me preface this review by saying we had called and emailed the Inn several times prior to our honeymoon, and the staff were WELL AWARE of how special this stay was for us. Was any note made about it to the staff at the desk when we checked in? Clearly not, as the girl was totally oblivious, even when we TOLD her "we just got married" her response? She asked if we had a car with us!!! UNREAL. So, hoping against all hope we could still salvage this I said "Any chance of a room upgrade?" which anyone in the business knows means if a hotel wants to be nice and aren't fully booked they may put you in a better room for the lesser room's price. This person said "let me see" checked her computer, then informs us yes, they have better rooms available, and then she quotes us the prices. Unreal. Also, bear in mind, this was a TUESDAY, and it was pouring rain. NO ONE was going to be checking in that day but us, obviously.
We went to our room a bit defeated and down, not a great feeling on your wedding day. To add to this, I lived on Plum Island many years ago, and since moving away have been back on MANY vacations, and have stayed at the Essex Street Inn at least 15 times over the years. THIS I also informed them of, in advance. One would have thought my years of patronage coupled with my being a new bride would have gotten me at least a "congrats!" or a note in our room upgrade congratulating us, and asking us to let them know if they could do anything to make our Honeymoon more special, etc etc etc. NOTHING.
Then the next morning while getting the sad and sorry breakfast of pre-packaged baked goods and styrofoam cups of coffee a young couple from Florida asked the woman at the desk about suggestions of local things to do, of which there are PLENTY in Newburyport. I listened, in a state of SHOCK, as this emplyee on duty says "Geez, um, I dunno. Maybe go see if the tall ships are in Boston." Then she looks at me and asks ME "are they in Boston today?" WHOA, totally unacceptable for a hotel employee. I said to the couple to please ignore her ridiculous suggestion. Boston is a separate trip, so I gave them ideas for local museums and a glass blowing workshop I knew about. What gives? A hotel staff should be recommending local places, OBVIOUSLY, and be knowledgable about them!
Upon checking out we filled out our guest questionnaire and stated all of our displeasure, and recived no follow up from management. Again: a disappointment.
All in all we had a wonderful short honeymoon, but wished we had chosen another Inn. The Essex Street Inn has renovated over the past 20 years, several times, but in spite of that has gone downhill. WAY downhill. I wish there were an option for zero stars for "service."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in historic downtown Newburyport, the Essex Street Inn provides charming and comfortable accommodations for business travelers and those fun get-aways. The Inn is only steps away from casual and elegant dining, the famous waterfront, arts and cultural events, fine and funky stores, and the finest antique shops. The Inn contains 38 beautifully appointed rooms and suites all wired for high speed internet access. A lovely breakfast room offers fresh teas and coffees around the clock, continental breakfast, and the morning paper. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Essex Street Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essex Street Inn And Suites
- Essex Street Hotel Newburyport
- The Essex Street Hotel