“Lovely B & B”

167 Water Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 7 Newburyport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed with friends for two days earlier this month and couldn't have been happier with both the charming accommodations and with the friendly hosts, Anne & Chuck. They are a very well-traveled, warm couple who provide comfortable rooms, a yummy breakfast and lots of creative advice about shopping, activities and restaurants in beautiful Newburyport. The rooms are interestingly decorated with objects from their travels and Anne & Chuck go out of their way to provide any extras you might need. We were very well taken care of & I highly recommend 167 Water.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

It's a shame that Trix D had such difficulty with her reservation, as she would have enjoyed her time at 167 Water B&B. It's small, charming, filled with the owner's Peace Corps memorabilia, and has two terrific hosts, Chuck and Anne. Four of us got together for a mini-reunion and had the most delightful time. The problem seemed to be with Expedia, and we all know that that can happen. Newburyport is beautiful and this is a delightful place to stay.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I booked through Expedia six weeks in advance of my stay and received a confirmation guaranteed for late arrival with a note in bold that there was no need to further confirm with the hotel. When I went to check in the owner of the B&B was rude and stated that I did not have a room. She blamed Expedia and said that she had turned away one other person as well. The area became sold out after I booked, and my guess is that she overbooked and took the two people that had the higher room rates. My reason for believing this was how nonchalant she was about "maybe she should drop Expedia", and the fact that she was not shocked that it had happened. She did nothing to help me and basically said that I had to talk to Expedia to get a refund and I was on my own to find another room! When I called Expedia, they assured me that the confirmation that I was received was a direct result of the B&B confirming.

5  Thank Trix D
chuckanzie, Owner at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

I am very sorry about your bad experience, however the problem was with Expedia and not us. You were very upset, as you had every right to be. Though you had a confirmed reservation from Expedia, they had never notified us, and we were booked. It is the second time this has happened and we have cancelled our contract with them as a result, and will only use Tripadvisor and BedandBreakfast.com as booking agents now.

I am so sorry you perceived me as being rude. I was surprised to see you as I knew we were already booked. I invited you to come up and see my booking chart to show that we had no reservations for you and that we were full, and would have helped you try to find another room. We have several friends, former B&B owners in town, who can take guests in their homes at the last minute. However the friend you were with kept assuring you that he had room and not to worry and you went of.

I hope you did have a room for the night and had a lovely time in our beautiful town. But please understand this situation was 100% the fault of Expedia and there was nothing else I could have done.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Just returned home after a mini vacation to the charming seaport town of Newburyport.. Our time there couldn't have been any nicer thanks to our wonderful hosts, Anne and Chuck. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived. Anne always recommend the best places to eat and things to see and do and Chuck's coffee was by far the best! We will certainly return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Comfy bed, friendly people, everything you'd want in a bed and breakfast. We had the river view room, yes there were water tanks ou back, no they didn't stink. It didn't bother us but if you are picky don't be surprised by them. Ann and chuck were very nice, they knew all the best restaurants! If we are ever up this way again well definitely come back! Breakfast was self serve kinda, good selection though, they even had chobani yogurt which is my favorite!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. My mother, husband and I spent a few nights here and it really suited our needs. The house is a charming, historic house conveniently located in walking distance from downtown Newburyport. The rooms are comfortable and nicely decorated. Ann and Chuck were very welcoming and helpful with recommendations. For breakfast we had a selection of nice breads and jams, cereals, hard boiled eggs and different fresh, summer fruit cups each day. It was all in all a wonderful place and we would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Warm and comfy B&B, stay here every year when we visit Newburyport. Easy walk to down town with lots of shops and restaurants. Also nice walk along the river. Breakfast always ready when requested. Looking forward to next year for two weeks!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
chuckanzie, Owner at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Thank you for your review and we hope to host you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Essex Street Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Plum Island
Compass Rose Inn
Compass Rose Inn
#1 of 7 in Newburyport

Been to 167 Water Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!