“167 Water - A great place to stay”

167 Water Bed and Breakfast
167 Water Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 7 Newburyport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast in Newburyport, MA this past weekend. It was a great experience. It is in downtown Newburyport, MA in a section of colonial era row houses. It is right on the river which can be accessed through the garden area. This particular 'house' had what appears to be the original colonial era floors, walls, wookwork and staircase. Our host were excellent and even took us to the commuter train so that we could catch the train to Boston. The breakfast was also very good. We plan to stay there again as we will be doing some genealogy work in the area and this is perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms available and expect each to be similar in accommodations, There is a shared...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul D
chuckanzie, Owner at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Great to meet you both - especially as you are "old" Newburyporters.

There are newer reviews for 167 Water Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Welcoming hosts who are happy to give you plenty of good recommendations on the local area. Good location, all within walking distance of the town centre. Nice rooms and breakfast. Good value all round. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bendy_Man
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Be aware that this B & B overlooks the local sewerage works which lies directly between the property and the beach - no surprises about the quality of the air on occasions! The only other room overlooks a busy road. Neither are en suite.
We were offered a blow up mattress on the floor despite having asked for twin beds and for this amenity we were charged an additional $15. Not acceptable but we reluctantly agreed.
G & M

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Margaret H
chuckanzie, Owner at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

We are very sorry you were disappointed in your stay with us.. First, the treatment plant has been going through a 26 million dollar upgrade that will be finished by the end of November and will be no problem. During the last month there were two or three days that there was a smell, but this is now completely eliminated. The advantage of having the plant, and the clean ponds that fill with birds (gulls, geese and ducks), is that we have a clear view of the river, from the back of the house where your room was.

Second, our web site clearly states and shows through photos that each room has a queen bed and that they share a bath. We never received you email asking for 2 beds. So when you arrived, we did the best we could, as is stated on our web site, and put an inflatable bed in the room, with the one time charge listed on our web site. We are very sorry you were unhappy, and that you were ill when you were here.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Never stayed at a B&B before, was a little skeptic about it, but I'm glad I did. Room was very clean, along with the bathroom. The location is very convenient, walking distance to shops and restaurants. My niece and I stayed here for two days, we went to the Seafood fest in Hampton Beach which is close by. Motels at the beach were charging triple the price for what we paid to stay here. The couple that run this B&B are great, they are so nice and very helpful with directions and suggestions for places to go. The breakfast was great too, it was ready for us like clock work every morning. I highly recommend this place for anyone that will be visiting the area. Tip, if you get the late night munchies in Newburyport, make sure you head out way before 10:00pm, dunkin donuts, pizza places and ice cream shops close by then.

Room Tip: Book your room through their direct website to guarantee your room. Other websites are over booking...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Julissa P
chuckanzie, Owner at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Thank you very mush for your review. We hope to see you here again soon!

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed with friends for two days earlier this month and couldn't have been happier with both the charming accommodations and with the friendly hosts, Anne & Chuck. They are a very well-traveled, warm couple who provide comfortable rooms, a yummy breakfast and lots of creative advice about shopping, activities and restaurants in beautiful Newburyport. The rooms are interestingly decorated with objects from their travels and Anne & Chuck go out of their way to provide any extras you might need. We were very well taken care of & I highly recommend 167 Water.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

It's a shame that Trix D had such difficulty with her reservation, as she would have enjoyed her time at 167 Water B&B. It's small, charming, filled with the owner's Peace Corps memorabilia, and has two terrific hosts, Chuck and Anne. Four of us got together for a mini-reunion and had the most delightful time. The problem seemed to be with Expedia, and we all know that that can happen. Newburyport is beautiful and this is a delightful place to stay.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I booked through Expedia six weeks in advance of my stay and received a confirmation guaranteed for late arrival with a note in bold that there was no need to further confirm with the hotel. When I went to check in the owner of the B&B was rude and stated that I did not have a room. She blamed Expedia and said that she had turned away one other person as well. The area became sold out after I booked, and my guess is that she overbooked and took the two people that had the higher room rates. My reason for believing this was how nonchalant she was about "maybe she should drop Expedia", and the fact that she was not shocked that it had happened. She did nothing to help me and basically said that I had to talk to Expedia to get a refund and I was on my own to find another room! When I called Expedia, they assured me that the confirmation that I was received was a direct result of the B&B confirming.

5  Thank Trix D
chuckanzie, Owner at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

I am very sorry about your bad experience, however the problem was with Expedia and not us. You were very upset, as you had every right to be. Though you had a confirmed reservation from Expedia, they had never notified us, and we were booked. It is the second time this has happened and we have cancelled our contract with them as a result, and will only use Tripadvisor and BedandBreakfast.com as booking agents now.

I am so sorry you perceived me as being rude. I was surprised to see you as I knew we were already booked. I invited you to come up and see my booking chart to show that we had no reservations for you and that we were full, and would have helped you try to find another room. We have several friends, former B&B owners in town, who can take guests in their homes at the last minute. However the friend you were with kept assuring you that he had room and not to worry and you went of.

I hope you did have a room for the night and had a lovely time in our beautiful town. But please understand this situation was 100% the fault of Expedia and there was nothing else I could have done.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Essex Street Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Amesbury
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#6 of 41 in Hampton

Been to 167 Water Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!