“OH THE FRIED CLAMS! ”

Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Newburyport
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

My good friend lives in Newburyport and every time I am in town visiting I have to eat here! My title says it all, OH THE FRIED CLAMS! They are truly the best and this is coming from someone who grew up in New England. Overall their menu has a good selection of quality dishes. Their portions are generous and prices are reasonable. YUM!

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Known for fried clams this is a local hangout particularly popular with the over 60 crowd. The fried seafood is excellent in a very casual atmosphere. If you are after a healthy meal this is not the place. Often packed it can involve a wait for a table.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Heading home from a weekend trip to Southeastern Massachusetts for a high school reunion, I stopped off for a late lunch in Newburyport, one of my favorite North Shore communities. The Garmin pulled up Park Lunch in the list of restaurants. When I saw the word "lunch" in the name, I figured that it was a luncheonette or diner; and, that's the type of place I like for lunch. So, I went there.

Park Lunch is away from the busy downtown area. It has its own parking lot with plenry of spaces.

For the off-hour of 3:00 PM, it was quite busy, but the pleasant hostess/waitress seated me immediately at one of two available tables.

The place is small and cozy with several booths and about six tables of varying sizes. It was what I expected---an old-fashioned casual family restaurant with a luncheonette atmosphere. It's a place where you feel comfortable for casual dining. There was bar seating nearby.

The service was prompt. I placed my order for a grilled ham & cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread. It came out of the kitchen about 10 minutes later. It was grilled to a light golden brown with a light application of butter, so it wasn't greasy to handle. The sandwich had two slices of ham between two slices of white American cheese. It came with a dill pickle spear. It was excellent. I enjoyed it. The price was only $2.95.

There was a party of three at the adjacent table three feet away---a mother with her teenage daughter and pre-teen son. The mom had the fried shrimp plate with French fries and coleslaw. I commented that the meal look good. She replied that, whenever she came up north, she stopped off here for this same meal. The son and daughter shared a pizza. A few minutes later, I heard the son say, "This is the best pizza in the whole world." The daughter concentrated on eating her share of the pizza without comment.

I could tell that a most of the other diners were local regular patrons. One such pair was what appeared to be a middle-aged daughter out with her senior mother. The mom had a plate of fried clams and seemed to be savoring each one. The daughter had a plate of fried food, too. Another party of two senior men had pizza. All these other diners seemed to enjoy their food. Nobody was complaining.

I also read the adult beverage list. It listed about a half dozen draft beers and two dozen bottled beers that included O'Doul's and Redbridge Gluten Free from Anheuser-Busch. There were four wines by the glass available.

Park Lunch is a place where you can spend about $2.50 for a plain grilled cheese sandwich or $10.00 for a pizza or $16.50 for a baked haddock dinner to $19.95 for a fried scallop dinner. Fried shellfish appetizers were also available in small and large sizes in a price range of $16.50 to $24.95. So, you can get a full dinner or lighter fare here.

Before balking at the seafood prices, keep in mind what Grumpy White of Quincy says:
1) Good seafood is not cheap.
2) Cheap seafood is not good.
And, Grumpy White's seafood prices are comparable to Park Lunch's.

I'll call this place a little hidden gem.

1  Thank Maurene_K
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I've been going to the Park Lunch for 15 years and it's always amazing. The menu, staff and decor have not changed since I was little (except for renovations after a fire). That's what makes it so special. The waitresses are always kind and attentive. The food is always tasty. My favorites are the fried clams, cheeseburger club, sour cream and chive fries, and house salad with blue cheese dressing. Yum yum yum!

1  Thank Lindsay M
Reviewed 24 August 2013

One of the worst dining experiences. Food tasted like it was frozen. No atmosphere whatsoever. Wine (white) was warm. Truly do not understand the great reviews.

1  Thank cab45