“High quality Indian food”

Mr India Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 96 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kittery Point, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“High quality Indian food”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've been coming to Mr. India with my family for several years now, and the quality of the food has consistently stayed amazing. I don't eat Indian food often, but when I feel the urge to, Mr. India is always my first choice, even when Newburyport is 45 minutes from my home. The lunch buffet offers a wide variety of freshly cooked food: nothing is ever cold or stale. The atmosphere is always very welcoming, and the new location is located in a very pleasant area of Newburyport. I would especially recommend the chicken tikka masala.

1 Thank Danny B

“Great food!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The indian food here is amazing! I try to order different things each time, and everything we get is great. We love to go as a group and get 4 dishes to share. The service is excellent, and we're always greeted with a smile. I wish they had some outdoor seating for the summer, because it's a great location right next to the courthouse. Great takeout too!

1 Thank Sonja R
Haverhill, Massachusetts
“Best Indian restaurant I have ever been to”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have not been to India. In fact I have only eaten Indian food at many resaurants in the USA and Canada. But this is the best prepared Indian food I have ever had. The cuts of chicken and lamb are very lean and tender. But more impressive still is the preparation. The marinades are delicious and they must let meats soak them up for just the right amount of time because you can taste the marinade all the way through. And, as I said, they are delicious.
The sauces are also expertly prepared. I've become so confident in the abilities of this chef that I am trying everything on the menu. I have tried doing that in other Indian restaurants and stopped short on the second try. Not at Mr. India as one entree is as good as the rest. And that includes tandoori, tikka, vandaloo or masala. I recently tried a new item and was very pleased with the different spices coming through on my tongue. Not one over powers another so you can enjoy the complexity of the dish.The naans and other breads have the same treatment..
When you go be sure to order the chicken pakora. It comes as an appetizer but I could easily eat it as my entree.
The service is as good as the food! Everything arrives hot and fresh and on time. The staff is gracious and attentive but will stay in the shadows if you are having a jolly time with friends and family. The wine and beverages are an excellent value as well.

1 Thank Thomas D
Enfield, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Warm welcome, yummy Indian and Himalayan”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We love Mr. India! The owner is terrifically warm and welcoming. The food is wonderful.

Mr. India moved a couple of years ago from a not-so-great space to a comfortable, spacious, attractive location. One of their specialties is Himalayan food, with some unusual choices not found at most Indian restaurants. I love the momos (gingery, flavorful dumplings), and all the biryanis and yogurt dishes. Delish.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank RebeccaP269
West Newbury, Massachusetts
“Amazing”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

This is our go to place forget all the expensive fancy places I
Downtown newburyport , owners ram and Sam know what they are doing! They offer beer and wine but a low key atmosphere where food is made fresh to order! It is perfect the food is hot and made on spot not like some places where there is assembly line. They are now offering buffet during lunch hours from Friday until Sunday! You must try this place very quiet and low key but awesome!!!! It is a five minute walk to downtown where you can still enjoy the shops of newburyport but not pay the price!! Must stop in!
Recommend the Taj Mahal Indian beer with meal!

1 Thank Tashcat18