“A good place to grab a beer.”
Review of The Port Tavern

The Port Tavern
Ranked #27 of 100 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We hadn't been to the Port Tavern for about a year...

We had been to the Port Tavern a couple of times after it opened a couple of years ago and had a great burger and hand cut garlic fries. We really enjoyed the food and the fact that the burgers were hand packed and the fries were hand cut. We also really enjoyed their beer selection.

On this trip, we discovered one our favorite beers on tap, Troegs Nugget Nectar - a nice surprise. We ordered burgers. I had the specialty "board burger" - sirloin with short rib on top. I ordered medium rare and it came out well done. The short rib was tough and chewy. I liked the idea of the burger and it would have been good if it has been cooked to the correct temp and if the short rib had been falling apart rather than really chewy.

My wife also ordered a medium rare burger which came out well done. To her credit, the server offered to have them re-cooked, but we were with our two year old (who really enjoyed her fish and chips) and we just didn't have time.

Unfortunately the hand cut fries have been replaced with what seem to be frozen fries (not sure about this but they really didn't seem hand cut).

It's too bad that the care that was evident from our first experiences here seems to have disappeared. We may give it another shot, recognizing that every kitchen has an off night but we'll more likely just grab a beer here and get dinner somewhere else.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

The dim and seemingly-trendy atmosphere gives way to a rather delightful and inventive selection of pub fare. The Gouda Mac n' Cheese sounded awesome, as did their creative spin on the classic Shepherd's Pie with red wine, tomato, and cheese, but since we had dinner reservations elsewhere, we opted for the basket of Sweet Hot & Bleu potato chips with bbq bleu cheese dressing. It was fantastic. They give you a more-than-adequate helping of fries that are very tasty and hit the spot, particularly in terms of it being pub fare. The sauce is outstanding, but we had to get another helping of it, as there were just so many fries that the little 2 oz. cup just wasn't gonna cut it. I'd highly recommend it.

The beer selection was great. Not sure what else I could say about that. Service was fine. Nothing extraordinary, but we were satisfied.

And yes they have plenty of big-screen tvs around so you can catch the game from almost anywhere in the bar. It was obviously a spot for locals to get together, so I think that also says something positive about the place.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Visited on Saturday Feb 9th at about six. This was only two hours after the governor lifted the driving ban from the blizzard of 2013. Visiting a pub under these circumstances is a real test and Port Tavern passed with flying colors. A really creative "Storm Menu" provided something for everyone and all of the food was great. I was especially impressed by the idea of serving Beef Stew over mashed potatoes since there had been no bread delivery. Our server, Chelsea, was excellent and we look forward to a return soon on a 'normal' day.

1  Thank Denise_and_Dana
Reviewed 29 January 2013

The Port Tavern is a classic, modern day Irish Pub that has a wonderful selection of draft beers and average pub food. If you're a Guinness enthusiast the Tavern has the freshest around on tap as they coast through barrels pretty quickly. The Servers and Bartenders here have always been great, they keep the place super clean and the beers are always cold and the food is usually good. During the day the head Chef is on top of his game, great guy, does a very good job, but at night when business picks up the food can be hit or miss, and when its a miss its really a miss. I want to give the Port Tavern 5 stars because I really do love the place and the people, but... this is a review and I have to be honest. The Tavern is a solid 4 out of 5, could easily be a 5 if they can get more consistent with the food. Definitely a great spot for a cold drink, great service and comfortable, laid back atmosphere.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

We went for a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon. The place was maybe 1/3 full. We were promptly seated after being given our choice of tables. The waitress came right over. I asked for a glass of water and herbal tea and was told they do not have herbal tea, only green and black. I then went with soda water with cranberry and my husband got a beer. When the drinks were delivered I did not receive water and asked for it again. Finally I had to request it a third time before it was delivered. It tasted nasty like the filter in the system needed cleaning.

We ordered an appetizer because we were starving as well as our main course with our drink order. Twenty minutes our appetizer showed up. It was a crostini which was piping hot. But the bread was soggy white bread in the middle and not toasted on the top and bottom, only the crusts. No flavor, blah.

After another 15 minutes I asked about our meal and was told it would be out soon. I had noticed a party of six, including a few children, who arrived after us, received their food before us. But they had a 25 minute wait for their food. When I pointed this out to the waitress, she argued with me and told me that they came in before us. She also said that she had put in our appetizer order which is why our food order took longer. When I pointed out our appetizer took 20 minutes is when she agreed to even ask the kitchen when our food would be out.

In the entire time we were there, I could see the kitchen door and probably only 4-5 tables get their meals.

When our food finally arrived, it was good. Was it worth the wait and the argumentative, slow wait staff? Probably not. I think it was the kitchen which was slow and the management did not have any sense of urgency. They got two stars because the food quality was good.