“Great Mexican Food”

Ranked #69 of 283 Restaurants in Newton
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Tucked in a corner alleyway of Newton Center, Cafe Sol Azteca is a cozy and enchanting authentic Mexican mainstay for over 20 years. Featuring cuisine from the Mexico's capital you'll be won over by their cilantro and mole sauces that will make you think you just stepped back into the old country. A full bar features the classic requests of sangria, margaritas, and cervezas while adding plenty more like Mezcal drinks and their "to die for" Mango Mojitos. Nightly chef specials along with an extensive traditional and specialty menu leave your taste buds with plenty to experience. Catch them in the warm weather and join them on their outdoor patio featured on local television programs as the place to be.
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We've been eating here for many years, and have never been disappointed. How many restaurants can you say that about? Years of consistent excellence. Don't expect cheap refried beans and a taco-stand ambience: this is an upscale restaurant, with excellent quacamole and black beans all the way.

1  Thank copeswell

Reviewed 5 September 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Sol Azteca since the 1980's and have always loved the meals. The service is fine and they leave us alone to eat without fawning over us. We love the food.

1  Thank Minuteman18
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Not impressed. Food very expensive for simple Mexican food. I know most would complain about a margarita with too little tequila. I would too. But the margarita tasted like rubbing alcohol with a squeeze of lime and drop of coconut water. I couldn't drink it and I didn't have time to wait for the waiter to fix it because we never saw him. Never going back. So many other yummy restaurants in that area.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I love Mexican food and I'm from Texas so we try to explore every possible restaurant in the Massachusetts area. We had chips and salsa--good. My wife had the mole and I had enchiladas--all good. We got there around early evening and were seated immediately. Service was also very good. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Sadly, I will never return to Cafe Sol Azteca. One of the worst service experiences we have ever had. We went here recently with some visiting family, and stunned is all I can say. The waitstaff was horrible. They brought us the wrong meals, seemed to blame us for their mistake, and then never came back to our table the entire evening. Did they check on our food? No. Refill our drinks? No. Bring us a check? No. Honestly, we almost just walked out. I spoke with the "manager" for the evening, and let him know that I would never return. The food is fine, and the outdoor patio is nice. Since this is most likely a family owned facility, there will be no action taken on our waiter which is fine...I will give the manager credit for calling the waiter over as we explained our horrible experience. He just pouted and that was that. Chalk it up as a character building experience...trust me diners in the Newton area, you can do better!

Been to Cafe Sol Azteca? Share your experiences!