“Slipped in a Big Way”

Riverbend Bar and Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Riverbend Bar and Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 257 Restaurants in Newton
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American
New England
“Slipped in a Big Way”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

What happened? This was once a decent hotel restaurant. I went to the buffet with friends and family. The horror show started with fruit flies gathering around our food. The pesky critter would not go away. Seated post 12 Noon. One would thing normal brunch time.....the desserts were luke warm. No real whipped cream. Cool whip. The waitress was clinical in her approach to us, so this reflected in her tip. Yet the fruit flies is what is a real kicker. Why has the board of health not been called?

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Woopiedo

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Rude Staff and Undercooked Food”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I honestly wish that we had some of experience that the other traveler's had at Riverbend. My Mom and I stayed for 4 nights at the Marriott while visiting a sick family member and we had hoped this restaurant would be at the very least decent during our stressful stay.

We attended brunch on a Friday morning. We knew it was 10:30 but kindly asked the hostess if they were serving breakfast. She immediately said yes and sat the two of us at a table overlooking the Charles River. Very lovely. As we were looking over the menus, our waitress suggested the buffet to which my Mom and I both agreed. We are both familiar with the Marriott buffets and since we were on a time crunch, it appeared to be the best option.

When we went to the omelet station, the cook there was already packing up the ingredients to put away for the day. He became clearly upset that we were there asking for an omelet but started to do the right thing and say that he would cook us what we wanted. The entire time he cooked, he was lecturing us about how breakfast is over at 10:30. There were several other breakfast patrons (in fact one came up to get an omelet herself after us). We explained that two staff already seated us for breakfast. He started to have such an attitude and got very rude while cooking our breakfast! Here we are just coming in for breakfast as guests and are being treated like we stole his piggy bank. In fact, he got so out of line upset because we were there and because he used nothing to coat the pan, my omelet began sticking, he began crushing my omelet and said "It's going to be scrambled!". I didn't even know what to say. I just took this burnt egg scramble and left.

My Mom went to get a box of Special K cereal and other cook who was out trying to bring the breakfast goods in, literally and purposefully blocked my Mom from getting a box of cereal!

We complained to the supervisor and to the waitress - both nice and both completely embarrassed by what took place. Both said that breakfast is not over until every patron leaves the dining room. After all, if we came in at 10:15 - does that mean I am not allowed to the buffet station 15 minutes later for another helping that we're paying for? She agreed and our breakfast was comped.

Believe it or not, we also went their for dinner. We really debated because of the breakfast scenario that we would try it again. But we were so exhausted returning from Boston Medical Center, that we decided to try once again.

I had the French Onion soup - good flavor but OMG salty! And my Mom had the fish (can't recall which one) and as she ate towards the middle of the fish, it was gelatinous - seriously under cooked. We never even complained on this, it was all too much. We paid the bill and left.

• Visited October 2013
Newton, Massachusetts
“Unfortunately, it's still old-school”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

As always, the hotel is so convenient for business breakfasts. And it's good to see that the dining area has been re-done and modernized. As for the service and the atmosphere and approach ... unfortunately it's all still old-school. But maybe that's what people look for in suburban hotels .... As it turns out, the fruit and yogurt was delicious (how can you go wrong?), but the server looked at me like I was speaking Greek (or perhaps Indian) when I ordered Chai Tea. I settled for English breakfast. It was all very adequate.

• Visited August 2013
Boston
“Lovely room but the food has gone downhill”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The dining room is big and sunny and overlooks the Charles where you can often watch people kayaking past. Also, there are some very comfortable booths to sit in -- ask for one.

The breakfast menu is pretty small and the prices are pretty high. The coffee is not particularly good. We used to love the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet but it has really gone downhill in the last year or so. I am disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
Reston, Virginia
“Convenient location, nice food”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Riverbend restaurant in the Marriott hotel is a cut above the average hotel restaurant. A recent dinner was tasty with a high-quality dish of local scallops with an asparagus risotto as well as a nicely-cooked sirloin. A shared dessert was large and yummy. The upscale décor is very appealing with a beautiful view of the Charles River and canoes and kayaks. Service is fine, typical of a good hotel. This is also a convenient place to get a meal at odd hours, since a lot of the local restaurants can be closed between lunch and dinner.

Visited August 2013