“tired on the Charles”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
“tired on the Charles”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The Boston Marriott Newton is situated nicely on the Charles River and if you were lucky enough as I was to have room overlooking the River, it was lovely. But the hotel is tired. The hallways are a bit banged up. The staff seemed warn out (housekeeping in particular) and one didn't have a good first impression when walking down the corridors in the middle of the afternoon and seeing room service trays, pizza boxes and other garbage along the way. The front desk staff was helpful and more alert. The hotel had a convention of swing dancers who partied all night on Saturday night...in the "quiet" hallway where my room was, as well as in the room next to me.
Needless to say, I was tired the next day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Charles; on the higher levels.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MarkJ007, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback relative to your most recent stay at the Newton Marriott. I apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory, our team was certainly challenged to keep pace with the large Swing Dance group that we hosted. Although we are one of the 1st Marriott's built, we continue to prioritize upgrades to ensure that our product meets all Marriott standards of expectations. I hope you give us an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kennebunk, Maine
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business recently. The place has clean comfortable rooms. They could could use some updates though the bed was quite comfortable. But the surprise comes from the changes for parking. This comes with a change for morning coffee also.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you posting your most recent experience at the Newton Marriott. Although we are one of the more historic Marriott's, we pride ourselves in maintaining a very clean appearance for each of our guest arrivals. Coffee is provided in the room free of charge although many prefer to enjoy Starbucks which is available in our Lobby. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Newton Marriott....hopefully soon.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Wow.
Seriously?
I'm never trusting my local colleagues again.
It's not that the hotel isn't clean but it's so dated and half of it (my half as it turns out) faces right into the front grills of a parking lot full of cars.
And all this for well over $200/night.
Not to mention they didn't have the actual room I booked so they offered me this little gem.
Glad I'm not paying for this but even at that, I feel badly for my corporate card.
My advice, whatever your commute is, make it from Boston proper & stay somewhere like the Commonwealth.

Room Tip: My choice for a room? Anywhere else.
3 Thank carrera_356
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Mr. Carrera,

We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with your accommodations at our hotel. Please call the hotel directly if you return to the area. We would be happy to make sure you are located in a room facing the river. We appreciate your feedback.

Guest Relations

Travellers are raving about these Newton hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice for an event hosted there. The first stay was in late 2013 and there was a huge issue with my shuttle service reservation. The hotel didn't offer to 'fix' anything and basically blamed the misunderstanding on me. After I emailed their corporate office I was offered a resolution. So, I decided to let it go as things happen. I visited this hotel again 3/21/2014-3/24/2014. I hoped my experience would be better than the last and looked forward changing my opinion of them with a new experience. I went to the bar on my second day there to get a bite to eat. The restauratnt was closed because of the time of day and I just wanted a quick bowl of hummus. I was told twice by the same server that he would not take my order. WHAT?!?! There is no where else to eat in the hotel and you won't serve me... I alerted the front desk to what I'd just experienced and they took care of getting me a bowl of hummus. Suffice to say I will not be back at this hotel. If that means I have to miss an event being hosted there, I will miss the event before I stay there again. The actual hotel is nice enough but the service could use great improvement!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EMGoodson
Dear EMGoodson,

Thank you for your feedback. Please call the hotel directly to discuss the details of your experience. We always have hummus available in our lounge and we pride ourselves on providing great service to our customers. We are glad to hear that our front desk associate was able to resolve your issue.

Best Regards,
Guest Relations
New York
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I've never stayed at this hotel, however often frequent the restaurant and bar for lunch meetings. In general, it's always been a reasonable experience – decent food and a setting that's just fine for a meeting – although I rarely eat there because of a food allergy. During my last visit to the bar (the area to the right of the restaurant entrance which is often open and quiet), the waitress spoke with the chef about making something that could accommodate my food allergy. I have to say that not only did the food exceed my expectations (a burger, which was cooked perfectly, along with a salad that was fresh and tasted great), the waitress was also fantastic. I really appreciate when someone takes the time to be sure that what I eat is safe. Will be back for another burger again soon!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MarkJ007, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your recent posting relative to your stay at the Newton Marriott. I am glad we could accomodate your special request and that the waitress was responsive to your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Riverbend Bar and Grill soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2014

So this hotel is near the highway and is great for doing visits in the New England area and even for having a breakfast meeting at the hotel. The rooms are the standard Marriott, clean and comfortable however a couple of things made this stay annoying.
Marriott, you ask for peoples preferences and indicate you will accommodate same and then you mess it up every time. For security reasons I do not want a room near stairs or the elevator. It's been in my preferences for years. However since I realized long ago no one looks at that, I ask when I ck in. "No", I'm told, "you are not near the elevator or stairs". So why when I take my key to the assigned room am I looking at a set of stairs DIRECTLY OPPOSITE my room door. I call down, "sorry miss, but the stairs aren't really in use" BS, I opened the door and so the stairs are open for access. It's outsiders I'm worried about not housekeeping!

Next I've paid for concierge floor but am not on the floor but have access to the concierge area?? Bizzarre. Also wifi has a $12.95 charge !!! I've been to 3rd world countries where it's free and Marriott wants $13 +tax !?! And no the wifi access in the concierge lounge DOES NOT WORK.

That breakfast that I mentioned, good thing it was about the business discussion because the service and food were both lousy.

Very comfortable bed and great location, very good staff service in concierge area but otherwise not worth the rate. It get's an average rating because I did have a good nights sleep, once I changed my room!

Dear valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments relative to your most recent stay at the Newton Marriott. We pride ourselves in providing a better experience for our guests and will review your feedback so that we may improve upon these points. Thank you for recognizing our Concierge hosts for their service engagement. We certainly hope to welcome you back.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stay here when visiting the area on business. Excellent service, good basic wi fi. Clean and comfortable. Very consistent in a good way. This hotel can get busy due to many meetings and conventions being held onsite. Mobile check in helps to minimize wait time at check in during peak periods.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your most recent review of the Newton Marriott. It is great to hear some feedback regarding Marriott's new mobile check in service. I am thrilled that our service levels exceeded your expectations. Thank you for being a great loyal customer of Marriott. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#3 of 11 in Waltham
Residence Inn Boston Watertown

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!