“A nice hotel with great amenities, small rooms, small bathrooms”

Boston Marriott Newton
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Show Low, Arizona
“A nice hotel with great amenities, small rooms, small bathrooms”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I rented three rooms for family for my son's wedding and was pleased with this hotel for the most part. The hotel has great amenities with a really good location and view of the Charles River. The rooms are small and the bathroom is very small allowing only one person to get ready at a time. The place was impeccably clean as was the room. I was surprised at how quiet the rooms were and the beds were quite comfy!

However, towels ranged from plush to some pretty generic 'gym' towels or crisp towels and there is no towel rack except in the tub/shower. For the price paid, comparing with other properties of similar status and amenities, the rooms and bathrooms should have been larger with consistent towel types. So, pretty high dollar for small rooms and bathrooms.

The food in the restaurant was good, but nothing to write home about and it was spendy, but worth the convenience. A lot of food choices on the $20 breakfast buffet.

Lastly, for a hotel of this caliber, and the price paid, WiFi should be free. Also, they charge $9 per night for parking and I had to pay that for the three rooms even though we only had one car, a van, for the entire group.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John J
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review of our hotel. We are glad that you found the room to be clean and quiet with comfy beds. We are continuously working to improve the guest experience at our hotel and value your suggestions. Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here last weekend (May 2014) and was not impressed at all with the hotel. My room was not very clean and the furnishings were outdated. The bathroom had visible black mold on the tiles of the shower. Some parts of the hotel have been remodeled, by my room was clearly old and outdated.

They nickel and dime you for everything here. No coffee, no paper, continental breakfast, nothing. Front desk staff are useless. The food at the restaurant was ok, but very expensive. Certainly not worth the price.

I paid the $149 rate. Realistically, for what it is, the price should be in the $99 range. There are much better values/nicer properties in the area. If you are considering staying here, my recommendation would be to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Looking for a room in another hotel would be a wise choice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank C H
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please call the hotel directly so that we may personally address your concerns. A clean and comfortable room is our top priority and our front desk staff is extremely service oriented. We look forward to speaking with you.

Travellers are raving about these Newton hotels

Miami
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Considering I am almost always in city hotels where my view is other buildings, this is a nice break, with a lake view and trees; and still only a few minutes from downtown Boston because this hotel is right at an entrance to the Mass Pike. I've reviewed many Marriotts and this is similar in quality and style - and why I keep coming back. The breakfast buffet is ok with everything one typically eats for breakfast and the quality is very good. But again, the setting and the view are what makes this one different.

When we're reading these reviews, we're looking for something to help us decide where to stay. So, simply, if you don't have to be in downtown Boston and especially if you have to be doing anything west of the city, this is a very good choice.

Why did I rate it Very Good instead of Excellent? The concierge club is not open all day or on the weekends and the offerings in the concierge club are just ok. They don't offer valet parking (which is really not necessary at this property). There's only one dining choice in the hotel (which is very good, but still only one). And there's not a masseur/masseuse on property.

With all that said, this is where I will stay when I come back.

Room Tip: Ask for the lake view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkJ007, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for the positive review on your most recent stay at the Newton Marriott. Hearing that you will join us again in the future is the best endorsement to what we try to achieve for all guests that stay here. We pride ourselves with our true spirit to serve. We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully soon.
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I stay at this hotel several times a month. The setting is unusual: reception level is in the middle of the building and you can find yourself 'underground'. The hotel is very long and it can take several minutes to get to your room. The view of the Charles river is very nice. The staff at the bar are very friendly.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Krkss,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad that you found it to be convenient for business travelers. We appreciate your kind words about our friendly bar staff. We will be sure to share your feedback with them. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here while we attended out daughter's graduation from Boston College Law School. It was convenient to the festivities, her apartment in Brighton and the Mass Turnpike. .Arriving on Wednesday, we were surrounded by business travelers, by Friday (at a much lower rate) it was teenage soccer players in town for a nearby tournament.
Part of the hotel is below ground level and has beautiful views of the Charles River, boat house and lawns of the hotel. Unfortunately that also means you are below the ballrooms and we had the hard beat of wedding music blasting from our ceiling until midnight. There were also children running the hallways from a bar mitzvah in a nearby meeting/ballroom. Ask for a room on the 5th or 6th floor. those on the 4th, are around the corner from the main lobby and have lots of traffic in the hallways. While we had booked on eking and one with two queens for our other daughters., we were given two kings. We were told there were no other options!. We made these reservations many months ago. I imagine our chosen room went to the soccer group. The rooms were not large, but suited out purpose of a place to stay while involved during the day with other activities. The hotel is not close to downtown Boston and would be a good location if you were there to visit the traditional sites downtown, or the world class hospitals. It is a very easy location to get to from either the Mass Pike or I-95.
There is a kiosk in lobby with coffee, pastries and assorted grocery/snack items. Note that the breakfast pastries sell out quickly.
The front desk staff was helpful in arranging airport transportation for one of our daughters (share van for $35 flat rate). We were charged for parking on both room bills despite having only one car (we were not even asked if we had a car, they just assumed we did). We were credited for the charge promptly when the mistake was pointed out.
There is an indoor pool and adjacent exercise room. One of our daughter used it daily and found it to be well equipped and spacious with complimentary fresh fruit.
I would stay here again if our daughter was staying in the area, but she is not. Good place to stay if vising Boston College.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the river and either 5th or 6th floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MWK51
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Mary,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your daughter's graduation from Boston College Law School. We are glad that you found our location to be convenient and a good place to stay when visiting the sites in Boston. We hope to welcome you back if you return to the area and congratulations on your daughter's great accomplishment!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Newton for a business trip for 4 nights with a group of 4 colleagues. The room rate was expensive, especially as we had to book an unchangeable rate (no other option available). We decided to stay at this hotel as it is located close to the place where our meetings took place and preferred to avoid long commute.

The hotel is very average, outdated and definitely overpriced. Apparently there are some nice views from the hotel overlooking the river, but my room was facing the parking lot, so I had not seen anything nice out of my window.

The room was not as clean as I would like it to be. The bed sheets and the towels seemed to be ok, but I noticed some hair (not mine) in the bathroom and stains on the bathroom door when I arrived. The stains remained throughout my stay, nobody took care of it, although I tried to make them "visible" to the cleaning staff by hanging the towel on the door. The towel was removed every day, the stains remained. The shampoo and shower gel were half used, probably as left from the previous hotel guest and not replaced with new ones.
The room was medium size but too crowded with 2 beds. The walls were paper thin with very little noise isolation, so I could hear noise from the corridor and TV from the neighbouring rooms. One of my colleagues had to change the room as the first one was close to the elevators and he could hear all the clicking of the elevators throughout the night.

I have not been for the breakfast or to the swimming pool, so I can't comment on that.
We tried out the hotel restaurant on the first evening, it was an unwelcoming setup with mediocre menu. The other evenings we preferred to eat out.
On one of the evenings we used the hotel shuttle service to get to our selected restaurant and we asked the driver (at 7.30pm) about possibility to go back to the hotel with the shuttle. He instructed us to call the hotel lobby before we wanted to leave which we did only to be told that the driver left at 8pm and no shuttle service was available.
Another disappointment was when I wanted to apply for points on my Marriot Rewards account but didn't have my Marriot card with me. As the receptionist was not able to do it, I remained without points.

I expected much more from this hotel, but the overall impression is that this is one of the large unwelcoming and overpriced hotels that benefit from location and lack of other hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank zuzanka39
Dear Zuzanka,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Newton Marriott. I am sure that you found the rates to be higher because you stayed with us over graduation weekend; a very high demand time. Our weekend rates are typically a great value. We are sorry to read that you experienced some issues with our housekeeping team. A clean and comfortable room is our top priority. We will share your comments with our staff so that they may work to improve the service that we provide. Please contact the hotel directly to insure the posting of your Marriott Reward points. The Reward program is a great benefit of staying at Marriott Hotels and we can easily make sure you get credit for your stay. We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott hotels and hope to welcome you back in the future.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed here with 3 other friends during a dance events held there. The room itself was perfect and super comfy! I enjoyed the drinks at the bar and the lunch we had the next day. But we ordered room service for breakfast and it was sooo not up to par with what I assumed Marriott would be serving. We each paid a ridiculous amount for eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, juice, and coffee (The grapefruit juice was AMAZING and the best thing about the breakfast). But the hashbrowns looked like they came out of a mold and were hard as a rock. The egg looked unappetizing as did the bacon. There was nothing special about the meal. The toast was dry. I can't believe I'm sitting here just complaining about breakfast in bed, but I just couldnt believe that breakfast came out of a Marriott...which I would associate with high quality meals and accommodations. Worst hotel breakfast ever!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeckyKZ
MarkJ007, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for writing a Trip Advisor report about your stay at the Boston Marriott Newton Hotel. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfortable bedding in your guest room and the food and drinks in the Riverbend Restaurant and Lounge. I am very sorry that you did not have a good experience with your room service breakfast. Please come back and visit us the next time you are in the Newton area and I promise you will not be disappointed.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#3 of 11 in Waltham
Residence Inn Boston Watertown

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!