“Not what I would expect from Marriott”

Boston Marriott Newton
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Checked in this afternoon, and attempted to use the wireless internet service, but the internet connection is so slow it is not usable. The service is free since I am a Platinum Marriott Member, but I would expect better from a hotel that bills itself as business traveler friendly. When I went to the front desk, they seems like they could care less. Their response was "it is a known issue" when I asked if they get other complaints, but that was all they said. Seems like they should be actively fixing the problem if they know it is an issue. Won't stay here again on business.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Wilma B
MarkJ007, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear valued Guest,

I apologize that our internet speed did not meet your expectations. As we continue to accomodate the demands of today's traveller we have just invested in new relay equipment throughout the hotel and are currently looking to double the bandwidth that we currently supply. Once this is complete we will have a far superior connection speed. We appreciate your feedback as we continue to prioritize the necessary improvements. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

If you're loyal to Marriott then nothing new or different here. It's a nice, big hotel and conference center. I only spent one night. The bed was comfy and being on the lower floor, the room was quiet. I had breakfast in the morning which was OK, pretty standard fare. There are a lot of choices of ingredients for the omelets made to order which was nice. There is a Starbucks stand in the lobby but it's run by Marriott so you can't use your Starbucks rewards card to pay. I had a nice stay and would go back but I am loyal to Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank vtultrachick
MarkJ007, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your most recent stay at the Newton Marriott. We hope to welcome you back soon and hopefully convert you to Marriott.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed as a family of four (kids ages 5 and 3) last weekend in a room with 2 full/queen-sized beds. It was college reunion weekend so we were in the room only to sleep -- arriving at 8pm and departing by 8am. The room itself was clean and renovated (the exterior of the building is dated, the interior is not). We were on the 5th floor and the hotel was perfectly quiet over night (it was a Saturday night). The odd thing was that when we made the reservation, we asked for a roll-away bed (our 3 year old cannot share a bed... he's a kicker). When we arrived in the room, I was delighted to see that the bed was actually in the room -- upright in a corner. However, upon further inspection, we realized that there was absolutely NO floorspace the bed would actually fit in lying down. We called the front desk and they sent someone almost immediately (which we appreciated, we were tired) who played a live-action version of Tetris with the furniture in the room so the roll-away bed had a place -- wedged between one of the regular beds and the exterior wall.

Overall -- the hotel fit our needs. A note to manager -- if someone requests a roll-away, please ensure the room is set up for the roll-away to fit :)

2  Thank CBMommy
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear CBMommy,

Thank you so much for staying with us. We are happy to read that you found the hotel to be clean and quiet. We appreciate the feedback regarding the rollaway bed. We will share your feedback with our team and ensure that the room is properly set up. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at the Boston Marriott Newton the weekend of June 13-16 for a cousin's wedding. I traveled with my wife, two teenagers and my mother who is disabled. Generally speaking, I was pleased with the staff and very displeased with the facilities.

We arrived late on the evening of June 13. Weather and traffic delayed our arrival by about 3 hours, and we arrived after midnight. My mother had been unable to reserve an accessible room as they were already sold out. She requires a walker to move and has a habit of falling. My mother was assigned a room that was a LONG walk from the elevator. Given that she obviouslly needed assistance walking and was generally in pain, I was surprised that no effort was made to find a room closer to the elevator, or at least mention that they would look in the system for one. At check-in we did not know the layout of the property or what rooms were or were not near an elevator.

We had our teenage daughter stay in my mothers room to call us if there was a falling incident. Our rooms were not near each other (not the hotel's fault as they were reserved independently and we had not thought to request rooms near by). However the room I was assigned was unable to receive phone calls. Thus if my daughter was trying to reach us in an emergency, our phone would not ring. We notified the front desk immediately who sent the hotel engineer to our room, and he made a great effort to fix the system (replacing the phone, re-wiring and replacing the phone jack) over about 45 minutes to no avail. Eventually we were offered another room, that was, as luck would have it, next door to my mother's. However it was now well after 1 AM and we were exhausted.

The rooms in general were small, and the bathrooms were not accessable with a walker, in that the walker did not fit through the bathroom door, and if it did, a person using a walker would need to back-in as there is not enough room to turn around with the walker. There were also no hand holds in the shower, so my mother was unable to bathe for the weekend.

We also encountered difficulty with another group in the hotel on Saturday night. A group of teens was banging on our door and running away. A call to the front desk and that stopped.

On the whole, I found the staff to be polite, professional and helpful. I appreciate the efforts of the engineer who tried to fix the phone so late at night, and the housekeeper who made up my room on Saturday was also very pleasant. I also found the chef who was cooking omlets at the breakfast buffet to be very friendly (both Saturday and Sunday morning - same chef).

I found the food in the resturant to be good, but I thought the prices were high. But in line with what you normally find in an in-hotel restaurant.

Wi-fi is not free in the guest rooms, but is in the lobby. Given the other negatives to the facilities, I was disappointed that wi-fi was not complimentary in the guest rooms.

I did not have occasion to use the other facilities, such as the fitness center or pool so I cannot comment.

On the whole, I'm not sure I would recommend this property. I definately would not recommend the property for a disabled person unless an accessable room was available.

Room Tip: The hotel is built into a hill. The Lobby is on the 4th floor, request a high floor with a view of...
2  Thank Steven R
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Steve R.,

Thank you for contacting the hotel directly to discuss your review. We do have handicapped accessible rooms which would have better suited your mother's needs. I am very sorry that we did not have one available at the time that you made your reservation. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the problem with the telephone.

Thank you for mentioning that you found our staff to be polite, pleasant and professional. It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed the food in the restaurant. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future. Please call the hotel directly so that we may ensure that you get the room type that you need.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I went to this hotel because we were attending her college reunion. The hotel is very conveniently located off the highway. The front desk help were very friendly. As a result of getting a special reunion rate, parking and internet were free. The room was spacious and nicely designed. Big king bed, desk with chair, plus a lounge chair. The lightning was about the best we have ever seen. Remembering that other hotels have such dim lighting in the room you need extra flashlights. The only negative about the room was that the bathroom was small in size, but nicely appointed. Big people beware of the bathroom size if this matters to you. We did not use the dining or any other of the hotel facilities. Ask for room facing the river.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor with room facing the river.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rocky,

Thank you so much for writing about your stay. We enjoyed hosting your reunion group. We are glad to hear the positive comments regarding the lighting in the guestroom. Our Engineering team has worked to improve the brightness in the guestroom. We are glad that you noticed.
We appreciate the great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next reunion.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I rented three rooms for family for my son's wedding and was pleased with this hotel for the most part. The hotel has great amenities with a really good location and view of the Charles River. The rooms are small and the bathroom is very small allowing only one person to get ready at a time. The place was impeccably clean as was the room. I was surprised at how quiet the rooms were and the beds were quite comfy!

However, towels ranged from plush to some pretty generic 'gym' towels or crisp towels and there is no towel rack except in the tub/shower. For the price paid, comparing with other properties of similar status and amenities, the rooms and bathrooms should have been larger with consistent towel types. So, pretty high dollar for small rooms and bathrooms.

The food in the restaurant was good, but nothing to write home about and it was spendy, but worth the convenience. A lot of food choices on the $20 breakfast buffet.

Lastly, for a hotel of this caliber, and the price paid, WiFi should be free. Also, they charge $9 per night for parking and I had to pay that for the three rooms even though we only had one car, a van, for the entire group.

2  Thank John J
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review of our hotel. We are glad that you found the room to be clean and quiet with comfy beds. We are continuously working to improve the guest experience at our hotel and value your suggestions. Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here last weekend (May 2014) and was not impressed at all with the hotel. My room was not very clean and the furnishings were outdated. The bathroom had visible black mold on the tiles of the shower. Some parts of the hotel have been remodeled, by my room was clearly old and outdated.

They nickel and dime you for everything here. No coffee, no paper, continental breakfast, nothing. Front desk staff are useless. The food at the restaurant was ok, but very expensive. Certainly not worth the price.

I paid the $149 rate. Realistically, for what it is, the price should be in the $99 range. There are much better values/nicer properties in the area. If you are considering staying here, my recommendation would be to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Looking for a room in another hotel would be a wise choice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank CH449
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please call the hotel directly so that we may personally address your concerns. A clean and comfortable room is our top priority and our front desk staff is extremely service oriented. We look forward to speaking with you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 3 in Needham
Residence Inn Boston Needham
Hilton Garden Inn Boston/Waltham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!