“Would not mind staying again” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel

Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Prague, Czech Republic
“Would not mind staying again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Looked for hotels in Boston area (access from Logan airport) with 4 rooms available. This one was available and the price was acceptable. It is pretty far from the airport. The location in Newton is plus if you need a quiet place around that is good for walk or jog through. Not the hotel itself since it is right above a highway. Not a problem to find with any kind GPS navigation (using a free one in a phone). There is a large parking place available (28/24 USD a night). The rooms are good enough.

Room Tip: The room oriented to the village was quiet enough.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank tkarlikt
Erseila, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear tkarlikt - thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am happy to hear that you found our hotel to be around a quiet place. We thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Turkish first
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stayed at a Crowne Plaza hotel only twice: 14 years ago, I was at the Seattle Crowne Plaza. Very poor customer service. They stuck me in the worst smoking room on the property - and I'm a non-smoker. Swore I would never stay at a CP ever, ever again.

When my wife proposed the Newton Crowne Plaza as a base of operations to visit our grandkids in the Boston area, I obviously had my doubts. The hotel would really have to please me to raise my opinion of this chain. But we were shut out of the hotels around Cambridge that weekend. I said we would try it.

We arrived in the late evening. The hotel is not easy to find unless you're coming off the Massachusetts Turnpike; the building actually straddles the highway. There is a street-side sign marking the entrance but it was not lit up, meaning I had to make two swings around the neighborhood in order to find the entrance. A lot of the streets are one-way - okay by day, but really tough to navigate at night.

When we finally dragged our bags from the garage to the front desk, I complained about the signage. The clerk at the front desk was obviously near the end of her shift. She said, "whatever, it's a city issue, not ours." We asked for a room away from the elevator. I guess I ticked her off enough that the room she gave us was right across from the elevator. When I returned to the desk to ask for a different room, I was greeted by a different clerk. The woman was nowhere to be found.

The room we eventually got was reasonably spacious. Big flat-panel television, nice toiletries. On the 6th floor, we were low enough to hear the Boston-Worcester trains roaring under the hotel. Get a room on a higher floor, if you can.

One thing we noticed - while the windows offered a bit of the view of the Turnpike and surroundings, we really couldn't see much of anything because the outside of the glass was completely filthy. Do they only clean the windows once a year? A complete embarassment.

Breakfast is served at a bar near the front desk. The bar and restaurant are open for dinners and lunch / brunch. We only ate in the restaurant once. The kitchen puts together a mean lobsta roll.

Parking was plentiful - so, why does this CP charge its guests a $28 daily rate? This isn't downtown Boston, it's the 'burbs. There's a big sign at the entrance warning parkers not to leave valuables in their vehicles, which should translate to, "we don't provide security to patrol this garage on a regular basis, and neither does the Newton police." Be very careful about what you keep in your parked car, and be careful about using the garage late at night.

The main thing the Newton CP has going for it is proximity. It's a reasonable distance from Boston and Cambridge. For us, 10-12 minutes to the grandkids' house was close enough for us.

The stay did not change my mind about Crowne Plaza hotels. I posted a review on the CP site, which prompted a response from management saying someone would reach out to me about my concerns. They never did.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors avoid most of the noise from the Turnpike, as well as some of the noise and v...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cyberchomp
Dear Cyberchomp - thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback and welcome it - as we take it to heart, and see our hotel becoming better because of it. Please reach out to me - emuka@crowneplazanewton.com - I would love the opportunity to speak with you, and most importantly welcome you back to not only meet but exceed your expectations - as we know we can! I look forward to hearing from you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is great for a quick stopover. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable and the hotel staff was really friendly and helpful. We took public transportation to get there. The 504 bus stops right near the hotel. We took a taxi back to the airport though because we had an early morning flight. The taxi can hurt the wallet but one way still makes it way cheaper than a hotel downtown. There was a fire alarm at about 930 but it was cleared up quickly. My only complaint is the room service. The food was cold and not all that tasty. Stay here, just don't waste your time on the food.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Lovetoroadtrip82 - thank you for taking your time and sharing your comments with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and would recommend us - and, I would like to assure you that we take all guest comments to heart. I have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Director, who would also like to assure you that these are not our standards. She would love the opportunity to welcome you back to her restaurant, to not only meet but exceed your expectations. Please reach out to me - emuka@crowneplazanewton.com - and, I will be delighted to touch base with you. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in June and don't know that I would stay there again if I had a car I needed to keep there. I was sharing a room with three friends who were all coming from different places and we had three cars. It was $28 each to keep the cars there. Otherwise, it was a nice hotel. The location is a little hard to get to as it's in the middle of a major intersection with lots of lanes going in all different directions.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank Becky B
Dear BeckyB- thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and you found our hotel to be nice. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had a great customer service experience since I called to reserve with Jackie Ruiz. Surprisingly she was there when I checked in and the phenomenal service endured. Overall the hotel was great, very clean room with a heater in the bathroom (OMG!!) and never the less, caring housekeepers. Will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear PedroBrenes - thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us, and thank you for recognizing our co-worker, Jackie. She is phenomenal and we appreciate the recognition. We have shared your comments with Jackie. Pedro - we hope to see you soon! Thank you for staying with us!
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My friend and I stayed due to its affordability, easy cab ride to the TD Garden for a concert, and of course the tripAdvisor reviews! The room was exactly as expected, very clean and the beds were very comfortable! Wifi was good. Room service food was delicious and arrived promptly. Staff were extremely courteous. We did run into a quite flirtatious male staff who was handling the valet, as well as 7am fire alarm mishap. Aside from those two drawbacks, I would absolutely recommend this hotel to others as well as stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Holly B - Thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our guest rooms exactly as expected. Please be assured that we take all of our guest comments to heart, and we have followed up with the valet co-workers which worked Sunday morning. That is absolutely not our standard, and we apologize for the perception which our valet co-workers have left to you... we also are terribly sorry about the fire alarm. We thank you for your patience and understanding, and we hope to have another opportunity to not only meet but exceed your expectations.
Wellington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just spent three nights here.

The hotel staff were all smart, efficient, knowledgeable and helpful.

The room was very clean, airy, comfortable and well maintained. The bathroom was also very clean and well maintained and had a good selection of soaps and shampoo. There are also shades and blackout blinds at the large picture windows. Air conditioning was efficient and not too noisy. Disappointing that there was no fridge in the room.

Despite the fact that the hotel is situated directly above the very busy Turnpike, there was very little exterior noise. However, I will qualify this by pointing out that I was on the 10th floor. It may not be the case on the lower floors.

The hotel restaurant (situated off the main lobby) is open for breakfast and dinner. There is also an evening bar. However, "The Social" restaurant and bar, despite being in the same building (accessed through a door by the elevators) IS NOT under the hotel's remit. Therefore you cannot charge meals and drinks to your room bill. This is not made clear and I only found out, having already ordered wine and whilst in the process of ordering food.
There are also plenty of other bars/restaurants within walking distance.

Parking is either "self". (in my opinion, an overpiced$28.00 per day) or "valet" During my stay there was an "offer" and the valet parking was $4.00 cheaper per day. However, if you're going to want the car fairly regularly, the valet's tip will probably negate any saving.

Driving into Boston is straightforward, but the turnpike and other main roads are very congested at peak times and on the approaches to Fenway Park on game days. Personally I used the bus, which took around a half-hour and cost $2.10 per journey. A cab is likely to cost around $30.00 one-way. The drive to and from Logan International Airport is also easy and uncomplicated.

All-in-all an enjoyable stay and I would book again if in the Boston area. However, before booking direct with the hotel, always check the various booking sites online - especially if the date you want is within a few days.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less the noise from the turnpike and other main roads.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LibraryMike
Dear LibraryMike - thank you for the detailed comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and will return to our hotel - thank you! We are currently in the process of adding charging privileges, from Social Restaurant and Bar. We are anticipating this exciting change to take place shorty. Once again, thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us, and thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 2 in Needham
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#76 of 83 in Boston

Been to Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel? Share your experiences!