“Trendy value hotel. Good place to stay if visiting Boston but if you don't want to stay in the city.”

Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed 9 December 2009

Stayed here in October on a Saturday night as we were attending a party in Boston downtown.

It's a cool/trendy hotel, aimed at business people or travelers. Kind of like a W Hotel or Morgan Hotel on the cheap.

Would stay there again for the price. About 20 minute drive from downtown Boston.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 November 2009

I have a hard time believing that this was once a Holiday Inn. The hip fresh design throughout the hotel makes this a fish out of water boutique residence. Sadly the pool area was closed for the season but I could clearly look down from my window and know that it must be hoping in season. Exceptional bed and linens. Large flat screen swivel TV, with a nice long table for working and computer port for easy internet access. The entire room was out of a designer magazine, and everything looked fresh, clean and new. I found a fantastic internet rate on their web site and for the money I was stunned. A similar Boston or NYC room would cost $250 - $300 easy, not $99, which I got. (I had to pre-buy) Had dinner at BoXK 109 and was very happy. The quality of the food was as good as any top end restaurant in Boston.The bar scene was hoping with an excellent jazz band. I also loved the free parking and easy access to the Green Line only 100 yards away. I can't wait to return when the pool is open.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Happyw0rldtraveler
Reviewed 13 November 2009

This hotel isn't bad. The only thing is my boyfriend and I looove the "Aloft Lexington" hotel - which is nearby (closer to Boston than indigo). However when Aloft's prices went up we had to look elsewhere for a night away.

When you first arrive, you can pull up in front but you cannot park there. The parking in front is only 20 minute parking or maybe handicapped parking. To park your car long term/overnight, you have to drive around to the back of the hotel... but they do have a small amount of covered parking and there is an entrance that leads to an elevator, which would be convenient in inclement weather.

The receptionist was.. interesting.. but friendly enough. When we checked into our room, it was cute. The bathroom was small, but there was a stand-in shower with a bench - in case you get tired. The bed was comfortable! There was an ample amount of pillows that had a medium firmness.

The one thing about the room that really bothered us was the TV only got select stations.. and the movies were $15 plus tax! We wanted to watch ;The Hangover' but decided against it when we saw the price. We decided to go to a brand-new outdoor mall in the neighboring town of Dedham called "Legacy Place" - which is beautiful at night and they have great stores!

All in all, it is a nice hotel. But if I had a choice, I would definitely pick Aloft in Lexington, MA. Although it may be more expensive, the bathroom is much bigger and the atmosphere all-around is more modern/hip.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsTardif
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We travelled to Boston to catch a concert and a hockey game, I was really excited when I found the Hotel Indigo website since it was an affordable option and seemed to be our style (modern and clean). We had high expectations and we were not disappointed, the rooms were very clean with a modern decor some other reviews have said they are small, and maybe in North American standards they are a bit smaller than your typical room but that is to be expected with a boutique hotel!

The restaurant/bar was excellent, we went for a drink in the evenings to relax after a long day of exploring the city each day and our server was very friendly and nice...she even remembered what drinks we had ordered from the night before! There was a room with computers and internet access and a parking garage that lead straight to a set of elevators which made getting your luggage to and from your room really easy and convenient!

The front desk staff were really helpful and were more than willing to help us navigate our way around the city and suggest restaurants and other activities. Plus, the front lobby always had such a nice scent, I would always say to my husband that it smelled like cotton candy! Also, since we are used to much smaller cities than Boston and wanted nothing to do with driving around downtown, the Subway station is literally a 2 minute walk ( we would hop on a train and be downtown in 1/2 hour) it also seemed to be a really nice safe area so we didn't mind the walk to the hotel later at night. Overall the Hotel Indigo was a great experience and if we are ever in Boston again, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2009

In the past year, I've probably spent 20-25 nights at the Indigo -- it's about 3 miles away from one of my company's offices. Although there are other options that are a bit closer, I've become a real fan of the Indigo and pretty much refuse to stay elsewhere.

The rooms are modern and can be on the small side, but I like the walk-in showers and sleep like a rock on the super-comfy beds. I do wish the rooms had small refrigerators, though, since I often want to pick up yogurt and other perishable stuff for breakfast.

There's not much in the immediate area, unless you want to hop on the T for a trip into Boston...the station is quite convenient to the hotel. The hotel is right off of 95, which is convenient but not very exciting, and the neighborhood is fairly residential. I've never eaten in the hotel restaurant, which I've heard is good but pricey; there's a small room service menu that often hits the spot.

What I like most about the Indigo is the staff -- while I'm sure that I get some degree of special consideration because I stay so often, the folks at the hotel really go out of their way to make your stay comfortable.

During the summer, be sure to request a room on the opposite side from the pool area -- the bar and pool area is HOPPING, and there's often live music until about 11p. Sometimes that's enjoyable, but other times, when you just want to collapse in bed after a long day, it's really not.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathryn H
Reviewed 22 October 2009

This place rocks. Who wants stuffy when you can have hip? You have to eat at the hotel's restaurant and order dessert. Dinner is not cheap but nothing in Boston is that is good. Take time to drive through surrounding neighborhoods, BEAUTIFUL. Cannot wait to try another Hotel Indigo.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2009

I was in the Newton/Waltham area for business. I've never stayed at the Hotel Indigo and thought based on tripadvisor photos I'd give it a try.
The hotel was clean and nicely decorated. Felt like a boutique hotel. The staff was pretty nice. The wi-fi is free - big plus. The bed was comfy. The walls are thin but I was pretty pooped each night (meetings ended around 10pm each night) so it did not bother me.
I used the fitness center. Good cardio equipment and free weights. The pool area is beautiful. I did not venture out as it was late September. It did appear to cost to use the cabanas (not good). If you are facing the pool don't leave your window open and come back at night as my room smelled like cigar smoke from those sitting in the pool area (I was on the 5th floor).
As others have said the restaurant seems to be the happening place. There was a lot of activity. I did not eat there but did have a nice glass of wine in the lounge area.
At $150 night on business I would recommend for those travelling in the Boston area.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Boston Marriott Newton
Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 3 in Needham
Residence Inn Boston Needham
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!