“Loved it”

The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Adams
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We spent two lovely nights in a suite - comfy bed with great duvet for adults, large pull out bed for kids, very clean bathroom. Staff is helpful, friendly and accommodating, breakfast is ample and yummy, decor is very considered and unique. The small pool and sauna were perfect after a day of white water rafting on the Deerfield river. Location is ideal for museum visits, both MassMoCA in North Adams and a short drive to the Clark in Williamstown. Restaurants in town are within walking distance, as is the Saturday morning farmer's market. There is a small selection of artfully displayed gifts for sale in the main building, very much in keeping with the overall vibe. A great stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hendrick600

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Opposite the MASS MoCA, this delightful boutique hotel conversion is run by enthusiastic and charming young people who manage to be professional and casual at the same time, which makes for a very welcoming environment.
We had a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite, which was large, clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. Incredibly comfortable bed. I am a light sleeper but, thanks to noise-cancelling headphones which I take everywhere with me, I heard no noise.
We ate at the Gramercy the first night and the Public Eat and Drink the second night, both of which were superb.
The breakfast arrangement at Porches is very relaxed; you can take what you want to your room on a tray. The best granola.
Highly recommended.

1  Thank jospanner
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have stayed at the Porches over the past 9 years each time we head to the Berkshires. And each time we are so pleased with this small but vibrant hotel. The staff are thoughtful and smart, and they care about your stay. They respond individually and with respect to all requests. The rooms are very clean and the funky combo of industrial look and luxurious linens and baths always pleases us. The work out room is a surprise, the hot tub and sauna and pool are perfect for a rest after a full day of hikes or museum-going.

The rooms vary and I will not share my favorite - this last trip I got the best we ever had. (There was even a second TV hiding behind a picture - so with all this information you can ask for this room too! Just don't ask for it when I am about to arrive!)

The breakfast space is too small during the height of the morning and that is why I am giving a 4 not a 5. It can get unpleasantly tight, and I wish the variety of offerings might expand or change. We stay for 3 or 4 nights and have learned to get up early and eat early whenever possible to avoid the crowds - but this is a quibble in an otherwise terrific choice!

Room Tip: See above!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ibyron
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend, and had a great time! The rooms are very nice and comfortable, with comfortable beds and awesome water pressure in the shower. They have optional turn-down service at night, complete with delicious chocolates - a fun touch. We had a small porch overlooking the parking lot, but it was a nice place to read or have a cup of coffee. You can also go on the large porches out front of course, complete with a porch swing. My only complaint would be the loud slamming of doors starting around 7am. The inn is composed of 5 or so separate houses, and the main door is hard to close and very loud. I think our room was right above the door, but it was really loud. Also, the walls seemed a little thin.

Breakfast was included, and it was really great for a continental breakfast - delicious fruit, breads and cheese. I showed up 10 minutes before the end of breakfast one morning expecting everything to be gone, but the friendly staff gave me a yogurt and there was still granola, cheese, and croissants. You can also have coffee and croissants delivered to your room if you prefer!

The heated pool was excellent. Very relaxing, not huge. There was also a hot tub and sauna, but I didn't use them.

The staff was very friendly and helpful with restaurant suggestions. There is a cat in the main lobby (very cute), and it looks like the hotel might be pet-friendly (I saw a couple dogs) so I requested a pet-free room due to allergies, and they were able to accommodate me. Porches is about 10 minutes from Williamstown, and about an hour from Lenox, so a great base for exploring the Berkshires. I would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank Fenway7
Reviewed 18 August 2014

While on a long weekend road trip up to Vermont, I wanted to find the perfect place to start our adventure. The Porches Inn did not disappoint. This quaint Inn was not only well appointed and comfy, the bathrooms were gorgeous (best shower in a LONG time) and had a great hot tub/sauna. The staff was kind and served up a nice breakfast in the morning. There is not much, but the Mass MoCa in town, but I could have relaxed on those porches with a mug of coffee and the Wall Street Journal for hours.

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs and it was nice and quiet. Quick tip: If you are allergic to cats, there is a hou...
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This place is odd-- and not good odd. In our room the windows didn't give to the outdoors, but rather to the public rooms and reception area of the inn. As a result we heard constant noise-- of people checking in and out, getting up early to go to breakfast, and of rowdy drunks at happy hour. There was no natural light by day and there was artificial light pouring into our room all night which the flimsy shades failed to block out. But worse yet, our room was right above the kitchen where an industrial size fan ran so loudly it literally shook the room. When I called around midnight to the desk to ask if they could shut it off I was flippantly told, "yeah, but we're starting it up again at 3:30 am." Too exhausted to argue I hoped I could get to sleep. Then an hour later the smells started. The kitchen is apparently used to do the inn's baking and the smell was nauseatingly sweet and overwhelming. Most of the locks on the doors stick so we constantly heard people rattling and shaking doorknobs -- a situation the inn could remedy with a $5 can of WD40. And sure enough, early in the morning the fan started up again-- sounding like a power lawn mower right beneath our bed.
There was no remote for our tv and when we went downstairs to ask for one we were rudely told to "look harder." No remote was found.
The breakfast room is an overcrowded mess, coffee pots empty, with one toaster to serve scores of guests. I agree with the reviewer who complained about the cold breakfast; at these prices you deserve more than a bowl of soggy fruit salad and junior size frosted flakes. In fairness, the shower was terrific and the bed comfortable. But if you can't sleep, what good is it?

• Stayed: August 2014
Kim_Asst_Innkeeper, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

We are sorry to hear that our main building is too noisy for your taste. We won't deny that it isn't as quiet as our other buildings, owing to arrivals and departures, breakfast and the convivial conversation of our guests during the cocktail hour. In the future, please make your preferences known, and we will be sure to give you a room in a quieter location.

Regarding your exchange with our night auditor about the kitchen fan, we apologize if you feel his response was inappropriate; we have reviewed our standard procedures with him, procedures which emphasize excellent service and caring hospitality. As for the television remote, you neglected to mention that we brought a replacement to your room while you were out at dinner.

We would like to discuss your concerns with you in person. If you are so inclined, please contact me or our innkeeper, Mel, directly here at the Porches.

Thanks again. We are constantly looking for ways to improve the Porches Experience.

Best regards,

Kim

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I did not know what to expect. The website pictures do not reflect the quality of this unique "hotel". The cozy lobby, the great breakfast, the fireplace, the porches, pool, drive...all kept up SO WELL. And my room.........WOW! It felt like a high quality cabin.....very large, lots of room, and a bathroom to die for. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is a short walk to the "village" and the location looks a bit "isolated" but the on-site experience was fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
The Williams Inn
The Williams Inn
#8 of 13 in Williamstown
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA? Share your experiences!