“Breathtakingly awful”
Review of Redwood Motel

Redwood Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in North Adams
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The only good things I can say about this place is that our experience was almost funny-- and we didn't stay here. My husband and I hadn't been able to check TripAdvisor before deciding to go to Williamstown, MA. When we got close, we'd been driving all day, we were tired, it was getting dark, and we stopped at the first lodging we came to, the Redwood. We found no one in the office but a sign told us to pick up the phone on the counter and call a number. The person who answered told us to take the key to the only room left and have a look. If we liked it, we should call back. Well, the room stank of smoke, the bathroom was scuzzy-- can't remember seeing a place so bad in 40 years of traveling on a budget. I don't even remember what amenities it did or did not have and have no idea how much they would have charged because we put the key back and kept on going. (Found a very nice, clean place, reasonably priced, just down the road and actually in Williamstown.)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Linda F

Reviewed 14 August 2011

My son and I were camping and backpacking. We didn't require much from a motel. However, the Redwood motel was expensive and dirty. The toilet seat was covered in dried urine and there was a bad smell in the room. There was no shampoo, no coffee maker or ice bucket or cups. I therefore, could not trust the sanitary of anything else in the room. We used our own sheets, pillows, and shampoo. They wanted 120 dollars for the room but later agreed to 70 dollars.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank BlueRidgeHigh
Reviewed 26 October 2010

This motel is way past its prime. There were so many things I didn't like about this motel that I can't list them all. I will list a few: the queen sized bed was really a double and it sagged in the middle. The only outlet that worked was in the bathroom. There was no wastebasket and only one light. The squirrels (or rats) running through the walls kept me awake. The stall shower was rusting and falling apart. I was glad to leave.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
7  Thank Grayling7
Reviewed 10 October 2010

WARNING TO ALL TRAVELERS. There are legitimate motels / hotels in North Adams., The Redwood is a half-way house for bums, etc. to get a cheap room at. This place is not for hospitality. Once upon a time this was a fine well maintained establishment but was sold and now is a dirty rat hole. Pass right by and go to Holiday Inn, or The Porches for luxurious accommodations. This place is still under same management!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank ROnNA96
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I've visited the redwood motel during June 2010 and was conned by the owner!
The room I was offers had dirty bathroom, broken drapes and smelly carpet. My mistake was that I paid with a credit card before seeing it.
Once I realized what I've gotten myself into and asked my money back, I was told by the owner (john) that he is unable to credit me back and it will take him a week. I tried to ask him to do it on the spot because I know it is possible but he was super persistent telling me he cannot do it at the moment. It has been 3 weeks and I still didn't get my money back!
When I phoned to ask him why I didn’t get the refund as he promised, he just hang up on me once he realized who is calling (happen 3 times!!!)

Beware beware beware!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank royi24
Reviewed 11 September 2009

I hate spreading the negative but the scum that run this hovel have to be exposed...
I was hiking the Appalachian Trail & needed a room that was close to the trailhead and resupply points such as laundry, supermarket, etc- the Redwood seemed to fit the bill. Stupidly I gave my credit card number on the phone, (this was processed immediately even though I twisted the last numbers) arrived to discover my highly anticipated night of rest & relaxation in North Adams was possibly the worst motel in the USA. The 'sheets' were covered in hair, mustard, body fluids, obviously had not been changed or washed or even tucked in neatly, just lay where the last idiot that checked in had left them. AirCon- yeah right! Dust, filth on the carpet, I won't go into the state of the bathroom or the non existent toilet paper... 'Housekeeping' does not exist in this slum. As stated by a previous reviewer, there is a sign in the run down, cluttered and dirty office that advises potential guests to check their room before signing in, I had no way of doing this, my mistake, a waste of $120 USD. I shrugged my shoulders, sighed & caught the local bus into North Adams downtown, checked into the Holiday Inn & enjoyed American hospitality and a fantastic stay in a friendly town for a similar price.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank safarihiker
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My fiance and I had to stay at the Redwood Motel while in transiton into our new home. We stayed for 3 weeks and paid 750.00 dollars to stay there. You couldnt have paid me that to stay there. The onsite managers are always drunk. There are bugs always in the room. When we go to take a shower we had to wear sandals, the bathroom was dirty. They gave us towels that were disgusting and we were there 3 weeks and never offered more towels clean sheets we had to buy new ones for while we were there. We were told we couldnt use a microwave a cooler to keep drinks cold. My sister stopped by one day to say hello and to see if we needed anything and they came over to our room drunk and obnoxious and told us we were being kicked out because there is a no visitors policy. They called the police and the police told us to ignore them that they were a joke and just drunks and advised us to go somewhere else that he has had a lot of complaints about these managers. The beds were disgusting we used all of our own things. They also go in your room everytime you leave. We set up little traps so we would know if they had been in our room and sure as hell everytime we left they went in. They also came at 11:30 at night to "inspect" our room. Thats ridiculous. Also when my fiance wasnt around the onsite manager Scott would come over and start talking to me and he made several sexual remarks to me. I would not recommend this motel to anyone!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family