“Slumlord training program”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in North Adams
Watertown
“Slumlord training program”
Reviewed 21 November 2012

The first night we stayed 2 North Adams police cruisers paid a visit to an adjacent
room. Never did find out details for the visit, but complaints from an unsatisfied
customer would be a good guess. The second day there we returned to the room
to find: overflowing wastebaskets, unmade beds, unvacuumed floor, dirty towels
only. I was able to take a pile of clean towels that the proprietor had left unguarded
in the motel office. This place should be shut down.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Carl S

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The owner of this motel will cheat you any way he can. We paid for two nights and wanted clean towels the second night. Not motel policy!! How cheap can you get?

No maid service, no drinking cups, insufficient light ... We can only echo others' sentiments.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Bob M

Travellers are raving about these North Adams hotels

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The other reviews are spot on. I'll tell you the punchline upfront: Didn't stay there even though the room was prepaid.. Here's the color commentary: The bad feeling started the minute I drove into the empty parking lot--it's high season in the Berkshires. After calling the telephone number of the remote owner, being told there was no reservation (if only that were true), having to produce the paperwork... the onsite "manager" --using the word extremely loosely --brought us to a room. I immediately went into allergy red alert: the room reeked of of what smelled to me like mold and if wasn't mold, nothing I wanted to be smelling in any case. Walked out to request another room and noticed the doorknob was loose. The "manager" was still out in the parking lot. Told him that the room smelled and that the doorknob was loose. He went over to the door to give the knob a try and the entire mechanism literally came out in his hand. The stuff of reality TV, if it's not your reality. Room #2 had one very, very ratty towel and bugs in the sink. Thank goodness there were vacancies elsewhere. I was prepared to sleep in my car rather than be up close and personal with whatever might be doing in those beds. This place wins "the worst" award, hands down..

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Diane R
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have traveled all over the country and have stayed at many places around the world. This place is the WORST! It is absolutely disgusting. The owner is this guy who answer an out of state phone number left on the front desk, doesn't give his name, is incredibly unpleasant and is completely unwilling to see reason about the filth he is renting out. The one person who works on site and passes out room keys said the following, "I don't even know who I work for. It's just a bunch of guys who don't ever come here. I would never recommend that anyone stay here. You aren't the first person to refuse to stay, and you aren't the last." The rooms smell disgusting, the TV's don't work, the beds are filthy and the bathrooms are grotesque. It appeared that the other folks who were there lived there long term. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if the place was rampant with drug use. I did not feel safe there and had to leave. I have stayed in several 3rd world countries and assure you that this place is worse!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank nakeeyad
Bethel, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I travel extensively up and down the east coast and through the midwest and this is among the worst places I've stayed in over 4 years. Rooms are very poorly lighted. They are lacking in amenities. They Don't even have ice on the premises. You have to go to a grocery store and buy a bag of ice if you want ice for anything. I will NEVER stay here again even if it means an hour drive.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank LHtrucker
Reviewed 22 October 2011

If we had the possibility to read the other reviews in advance, we would not have stayed here - because a lot of other hotels/motels had no vacancy we spent 90$ for the room in the Redwood - it's the worst motel we ever stayed - dirty, old, unfriendly reservation-agent....all the other bad reviews are true! Do not stay in this motel!

• Stayed October 2011
10 Thank ohe333
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The only good things I can say about this place is that our experience was almost funny-- and we didn't stay here. My husband and I hadn't been able to check TripAdvisor before deciding to go to Williamstown, MA. When we got close, we'd been driving all day, we were tired, it was getting dark, and we stopped at the first lodging we came to, the Redwood. We found no one in the office but a sign told us to pick up the phone on the counter and call a number. The person who answered told us to take the key to the only room left and have a look. If we liked it, we should call back. Well, the room stank of smoke, the bathroom was scuzzy-- can't remember seeing a place so bad in 40 years of traveling on a budget. I don't even remember what amenities it did or did not have and have no idea how much they would have charged because we put the key back and kept on going. (Found a very nice, clean place, reasonably priced, just down the road and actually in Williamstown.)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Williamstown
Berkshire Hills Country Inn
Berkshire Hills Country Inn
#5 of 13 in Williamstown

Been to Redwood Motel? Share your experiences!