“Fabulous way to spend my 40th!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meeru Island Resort & Spa

Meeru Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meerufenfushi
Perth, Australia
“Fabulous way to spend my 40th!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I have been meaning to write this review since our return from our holiday at Meeru in November last year, only now finally having the time to write down our experience and truly recommend this resort to anyone seeking a tropical paradise holiday!

My husband and I spent a week at Meeru for my 40th birthday in November last year (2013), after much research on choosing a resort. Where do I start with our review? It was absolutely fabulous and did not disappoint. The reviews we had read on here before traveling had glowing reports, so we were fairly confident that we would have a great holiday, and now after spending a week there I can vouch that the resort, its amenities and staff far exceeded our expectations.

We arrived at Male airport and only had a very short wait (approx 15 minutes) before traveling to the island via speedboat. The speedboat trip in itself was a delight. The staff were very welcoming and on our travels the skipper stopped the boat as we approached a huge pod of dolphins so that we could step out onto the front of the boat for the close encounter with such beautiful marine life. What a way to start our tropical holiday! We then arrived at the resort, welcomed by friendly staff, a cool refreshing towel and an icey-cold drink. Check-in was fast and efficient, and we were soon escorted to our room on the north end of the island via golf cart. With our research we knew and had requested a JWV in the 700's so that we could enjoy the adult only section/ restaurant, and despite management saying before our arrival they couldn't guarantee our request but would try their best to accommodate (which we understood), they did in fact honour our request as we stayed in villa 714. And wow! It lived up to all that we had hoped for and more. Having a private deck over the water, with direct access for swimming, we enjoyed it not only during the day, but in the evening we loved sitting out on the deck with a cold drink watching the water wildlife swim underneath us, from sharks, fish to stingrays.

Again the staff were excellent, our waiter in the restaurant for our entire stay was admittedly quiet but very friendly (so sorry, cannot recall his name!), the food was absolutely delightful, catering to many tastes (the food was heavily influenced by the Maldivian culture which I absolutely loved, but they also had several "Western" culture-based cuisine which my husband thoroughly enjoyed). And having paid for all-inclusive board, the range of drinks supplied did not disappoint.

The facilities the island offered would please many, to those who wanted to cram as much as they could into their days like diving, snorkelling, tennis, golf etc, but also allowed those who did not want to partake and just relax by the ocean or pool (which admittedly I did most as I wanted to ring in my 40th lounging by the pool with a book and cocktail in hand). My husband snorkelled numerous times, and despite the house reef being a boat trip away, the small portion of reef that was up the northern end of the island satisfied my husband and he managed to take some wonderful photos there with his underwater camera.

My husband surprised me with a morning of treatments at the over-the-water spa the day of my birthday, and it was absolutely wonderful! Again the staff and facilities were not to be faulted. I also wanted to especially thank Meeru management as they treated us like stars on my birthday, with a special phone call in the morning wishing me a happy birthday, to a delicious birthday cake after dinner, to stunning floral bed art, champagne and fruit basket upon our return to our villa after dinner. This was not instigated by us at all, it was all provided by management and staff upon learning it was my birthday during our stay. So a big thank you for that.

There's much more I could write, but if I did this very long review would be never-ending. All I can say is if you are contemplating visiting the Maldives then do not hesitate to stay at Meeru Island Resort. I cannot personally vouch for the other types of accommodation as we stayed in one of the Jacuzzi Water Villa (#714), but I'd imagine that they would all be of similar standard. And then the overall island facilities available to all are wonderful. Both my husband and I cannot wait to return, which we will do very soon.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Samantha S
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Samantha S,

Sunny greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

It gives me the great pleasure that you chose to join us for your birthday celebration and that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience with us. Nothing can be nicer for us to read that we could create a special birthday and thank you for appreciating the special treats given by my team.

My team and I were happy to see that the charm of your Jacuzzi Water Villa worked so beautifully on you.

Once again thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at Meeru Island Resort & Spa and for recommending us as a wonderful place to stay in the Maldives to other tripadvisor readers.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back as a repeat guest in the near future. Please contact us directly if you need any assistance with your booking.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at Meeru from 19th Feb for two weeks and had a fantastic time. We got to Male airport after the long flight and said we wouldnt bother with long haul flights again. After the boat transfer to the island we were taken to one of the restaurants and greeted with cool towels and a cocktail. The travel rep from Hayes and Jarvis gave us all the information we needed (thanks Lesley, you were superb throughout the whole holiday) and we were taken to our well appointed jacuzzi beach villa............cases delivered by the always helpful staff. The memory of the long dull flight had already faded away and we checked out all the facilities available. The buffet meals were very good and always had a good variety of food available. Meeru has a policy of allocating you a table in the retaurant for the whole of your stay which stops the mad rush for seats that you sometimes get in other resorts. The Asian wok restaurant was absolutely stunning. Great service, excellent food and a view which seems unreal. We were sat at our table watching small black tip sharks feed on a huge shoal of small fish. You have to pay extra for this restaurant but it is worth every penny and I urge anyone visiting Meeru to try it. The bars were also great....the Uthuru bar at the North end is very good and worth having a sunset cocktail at. Our favourite was the Dhoni bar which was very relaxing with excellent service (thanks Saeed and Sandeesh).
The watersports centre is well equipped as are the other facilities on the island. The dive centre was very good with helpful and friendly staff and well maintained equipment. The diving was excellent and made very easy by helpful and attentive crew on the dive boats and well informed dive guides. It is expensive to dive here but if you take into account the ease and quality of diving,it is worth doing.
The beaches are beautiful and the water is a warm 29deg. There was never a problem getting a sunbed or a hammock as the island is not crowded. Although it was fully booked, it sometimes felt like our own personal island.
A special mention for the over water spa. I was persuaded by my wife to try the spa and have a massage. After much moaning and complaining that "spas are not really my thing" I gave in and went along. I had only experienced sports massages from large hairy physios before so was a bit reluctant. The whole experience turned out to be fantastic and we booked another two treatments during the holiday. I dont think I'll forget a deep tissue massage followed by a coconut milk bath on a bacony watching the sun go down over the Indian ocean. Thanks to all the staff at the spa.
We have been home two days and I am already looking into a return visit for next year. If you are considering Meeru and think it is a bit expensive, just realise that you would be travelling to a paradise island. We love the Carribean but decided to try the Indian ocean this time and this was on another level all together. Thanks to all at Meeru for a fantastic holiday and hopefully we will return next year.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Steve570
Dear Steve570,

Sunny Greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed review sharing your Holiday visit with us. I would like to personally thank you for your wonderful comments there is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their experience with us.

Thank you for your great comment on the great dining experience in the Asian Wok restaurant and our executive chef will be more than happy to learn you thoroughly loved it.

I totally agree that the Dhoni bar is a wonderful place to watch the sunset and having a relaxing time. Thanks to Saeed and Sandeesh and his bar team who are always ready to welcome guests into the bar with a friendly smile.

It is so wonderful to read that Lesley and my team were able to make your stay with us more enjoyable! Our staff and your representative truly care for our guests and we love to see that shine through.

It is a joy to read that you had the chance to dive with our professional and friendly staff. It is an idol spot to see good coral reefs and most of all the abundance of marine life throughout the country that sets it apart from other dive destinations.

Additionally I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our fabulous Spa who work hard to create a memorable and outstanding relaxing Spa experience . I really appreciate your kind words on our professional and well-skilled therapists in the Spa. I am happy they could exceed your expectations and we hope you left all behind and returned refreshed, restored, relaxed in mind, body and soul after your treatments.

Steve570, we would be more than happy to welcome you back as a repeat guest next year. Please contact us directly if you need any assistance with your booking.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Well we had our honeymoon booked for over a year and having kept updated with all the reviews written it was safe to say we started of dubious but the closer it got the better the reviews became!!

As soon as we stepped off the boat it was clear that the island is just like the pictures show. Picture perfect.

We were checked in quickly and given a fruit cocktail to drink. Once we were all checked in we had a buggy take us to our part of the island. We had booked to stay in a Jacuzzi Water Villa. We got a room in the 300's and tbh I think this was perfect for us, central location close to everything.

We got in our room and it was lovely, made use of the jacuzzi to chill out for the first hour and then we went to explore. We walked around the north end of the island first and had a drink in the bar by the 700's. All i can say about the 700's is that it is literally secluded from everything else.

The food selection everyday was fantastic, always something to eat. As there are so many Chinese visitors they had a Chinese station for food and this was lovely especially for someone like me who throughly enjoys Chinese food.
In the restaurants you stay at the table allocated to you for your whole stay, but we didn't find this a problem. It was actually quite nice.
We are not the type to complain about anything as I feel that holidays are what you make them and if you have things to complain about they should be really serious issues.
We personally have no complaints as such the only thing that could have improved the food service was the puddings being cold. Im a sweet tooth but I didn't eat very many puddings as they weren't cold and I didn't enjoy them at the room/weather temperature. However I soon discovered the ice coffees and ice cream shop so that sorted me out :) Ice coffees are included in the all inclusive package but the ice cream isn't.

When we decided to take a walk around the south end of the island we saw lots of small sharks and schools of fish which was lovely, we walked past the Asian Wok but we didn't eat in there as to be honest the food in the restaurant was lovely and we didn't see the point in paying extra for a meal when there was one with lots of selection included.

On one particular day we went kayaking. Although we didn't get very far as the current was going against us it was still a lot of fun. We booked our wind surfing lesson but didn't actually take part when the day came as we didn't fancy it.

The sunset punch cruise was lovely, to get off the island and see dolphins in their natural habitat was lovely. We also went on the snorkelling trip. This was a bit of a disaster for us not on anyones part but ours ha, my husband isn't keen on the water so didn't want to go to far out, we didn't take flippers so we couldn't swim as fast as others and my snorkel broke. However despite all this we did see lots of fish and dolphins and it was lovely to once again get off the island and see things.

The entertainment on the island is a bit hit and miss, the best night for us was the crab racing and the dj night.
Every night after dinner we made use of the games room, it was lovely and air conditioned and we played pool. There were lots of board games etc to choose from to and we found this was a lovely idea as after dinner you could sit and chill in a comfortable temperature.

WiFi is included within your stay now and it only really works in the bars and your room. It was annoying that you constantly had to sign in every time you wanted to go on it but not really a problem.

We saw lots of crabs around the 300's and we even got to see a sting ray.

The staff are amazing, really really friendly. We got close to a couple of the bar people and spent most nights before dinner having a drink and chatting away.

One thing I will say is the 300 side of the island is very breezy which is nice. We spent the first few days by the adult only pool for this reason, however once we had discovered the other pool we preferred it for some reason but there wasn't as much breeze so you got a lot hotter a lot quicker.

The afternoon snacks that were included in the all inclusive package were good especially if you missed breakfast like we did one day. you can get a selection of sandwiches, cakes, biscuits, noodles and the snack of the day.

On sundays there is a football match between the workers and the guests, this was very good fun to watch and my husband had fun playing.

All together this was an amazing honeymoon destination with quite a bit to do on the island if you want to be more active but if you want to do nothing then there is plenty of nothing to do!

We will deffinately be visiting again one day :)

3 Thank Nicnak2509
Dear Nicnak2509,

Sunny greetings from your honeymoon destination.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write and share your staying experience in such detail and we were delighted that Meeru Island resort & Spa was choosen as the location for your honeymoon.

We are so pleased to hear that you and your partner were able to enjoy so many of the activities that our island has to offer such as our sunset cruise, kayaking, crab race, DJ night, playing pool and taking part as well as watching the football match.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you in our beautiful Jacuzzi Water Villa 300 side for your special occasion and it is a unique experience with the perfect view of the indian ocean and crystal clear water surrounded. I am glad it worked so well on you and it is nice to hear you liked the location and enjoyed to watch the marine life.

Thank you for your great comment on the variety delicious food in the restaurant and our executive chef will be more than happy to hear you enjoyed your dining experience especially our chinese cooking station. I will also pass on your comment regarding the cold pudding and thank you for pointing that out.

Nicnak2509, congratulation on your marriage again and we all wish you all the happiness in the world. We can`t wait to welcome you back again to Meeru Island Resort & Spa and if you need any assistance with your booking please feel free to contact us directly.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

The most relax and beutiful location for a "special" holiday! Staff are the friendliest I have ever experienced in a holiday resort. The island is beutifull and only 1 hr by speed boad from Male the capital. Excellent buffet food with a good selection of food for Breakfast, Lunch and Evening meal. We stayed at a Jacussi Beach Villa, very nice rooms but be prepared for out door shower and WC facilities, after a day or two you get used to it! Many bars around the island and if you are all inclusive your are constantly asked for refreshements! Good "All inculsive Plus Package"
Best rooms are the 600 (sun set side).

Lots of sea live and ideal for snorkling, Reef sharks, Rays and so much more!

I'd recomend it to anyone looking for relaxation!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Tzimenakis,

Sunny greetings from your paradise!

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedbacks. It is good to know that you had an excellent holiday with us.

We are so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed each day of your stay. I will share your good comments to the management and staff.

Please do not hesitate to contact me or our Reservations team on your next vacation to Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

After doing a bit of research and asking in different travel agents a decision was made to go to meeru for our honeymoon. what a choice. A first visit to the Maldives for my wife and I and we weren't disappointed. Obviously travel was tiring we had a delay for 2 hours whilst the ground crew at Gatwick repacked the hold for the 787 to achieve the correct 'trim' for the plane, which was disappointing. On arrival we were guided to our reps stand, to receive a card from our rep of congratulations on our marriage ( thank you leslie x ) and awaited our boat to meeru, which didn't take to long. the transfer took approx 50 mins which after the flight didn't seem long and was it worth while when the island came into view....my wife, who had not had the best of trips, well her face just changing to a beaming smile.
Quick check-in on our arrival and taken to our restaurant for a quick lunch and then to our jwv 703 and it was beautiful.
All the staff were so happy, helpful and attentive to any requests for help or information and there is an incredible loyalty to the resort from staff and return visitors/couples, which I believe shows how much this resort tries to give you. Even meeting the owner of the island at the disco on Saturday night and being able to thank him for the environment the team provided for our honeymoon.
quick mention for the dive centre and mark ? or should I just call you mate ?? haha couldn't do enough for me when hiring a underwater camera for our last day. and it was fun to have some banter with a brit, thanks mate!!. There's your special mention on trip advisor MATE!! lol.
another quick mention to Stephanie (Essex)lol (kuoni rep) (really from down the road to us) thanks. and sorry missed ya to say bye. Imagine thumbing a lift in a golf buggy to be picked up from someone who lived road from you.
The food and our waiter, ahmed was outstanding, thank ahmed and the kitchen staff and chefs.
our thanks to the cleaning staff for our room which was always immaculate.
We took a private glass bottomed boat out to see the house reef and were lucky that the dolphins were about, so had a chance to get up close to the dolphins. as we did later in our week with the sunset punch cruise which again was brilliant.
The Asian wok... beautiful...it really is the place to watch the sunset go down and dangle your legs over the side with a cocktail..even getting joined by a heron on one occasion. The teppan yaki was fun, food was brilliant and well worth it.
We had ideas of doing so many excursions whilst on the island but really didn't need to as it was so relaxing to a more sedate pace of life.
The wild life is amazing being so close to them and such a tranquil feeling.
We both could say soooo much more about this resort and how much we enjoyed our stay and wished we hadn't got the plane back yesterday.
thank you all so much each and every one of the staff, management etc for a truly memorable honeymoon. we will return.
thanks
dave and carley

1 Thank david m
Dear David M,

Warm greetings from your honeymoon destination!

Congratulations to you and your wife on your marriage and thank you for choosing us amongst the other resorts in the Maldives.

I could not thank you enough for sharing your wonderful experience and your heartwarming feedbacks.

Sorry to hear that you have encountered a delay on your flight to the Maldives. On the brighter side I am very happy that you were taken care of by your Tour Representative on your arrival at the airport. I will give your warm thank you to Leslie.

Your good reviews about the dive center especially to Mark will surely be communicated.
I am grateful to hear that you loved the food and service from Maalan Restaurant and Asian Wok. Your good words will be shared to our Executive Chef and to the rest of the staff especially Ahmed your waiter.

Teppanyaki is a different experience as your food is being cooked in front of you with some exhibition of skills from our trained Chef. I am glad you enjoyed it.

We really appreciate your kind words and I will share your marvelous feedback with Stephanie (KUK guide) and my entire team.

We hope to welcome you back one day at Meeru Island Resort & Spa. If you need any assistance in booking your holiday with us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly or our Reservations team at reservations@meeru.com

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Our first trip to the Maldives and Meeru really is as breathtakingly beautiful as the pictures suggest. We stayed in a Jacuzzi beach villa in the 500s on the north of the island very quiet and stunning beach, reef sharks swim so close you can see them from the deck. We stayed all inclusive which I'd recommend as drinks can be expensive, and all inc means you can just relax and enjoy. The villas provide lovely accommodation, cleaned and fridge stocked every day, and the extra touches like champagne fruit and flowers made for a very special honeymoon. The food in the main restaurant was very good and service great, the curries on Maldivian night were fantastic. We didn't eat at the Asian wok, but it's a really nice setting for a drink at sunset and dhoni bar is really chilled out.
Make the most of the included activities, the snorkelling at the house reef is fab and the sunset cruise is a great opportunity to see dolphins. The over water spa is amazing, really wonderful treatments in a beautiful setting.
Just hope we can go back one day!

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Jenny S
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Jenny S,

Sunny greetings from your honeymoon destination.

Thank you for choosing Meeru Island Resort & Spa for your special occasion and I am delighted you enjoyed every part of your experience with us from the staff you encountered to the special treats by my team for your honeymoon. It just make the occasion that little bit more special. We always strive to ensure we provide the best service and well looked after while they are staying with us and I take great pleasure in seeing this being recognized.

It gives me also the great pleasure to know how much you enjoyed your water villa and our Housekeeping Manager will be very pleased to hear your kind words.

Jenny S, we would be really pleased to welcome you back one day especially to celebrate your first anniversary and be assured we will meet your expectations again to make it special and unforgettable again. Please contact us directly if we can help you with any assistance.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

What can I say about Meeru, we did not want to leave. There is nothing negative I can say about the island. When we arrived there was the usual shortage of Beach Villas which we had booked but to our amazement we had a 2 day upgrade to the honeymoon suite, it was amazing. On our 3rd day we moved to our Beach villa, again we could not fault the accomodation. All the staff we came into contact with were very freindly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The island takes about 45 minutes to walk around. The north and northeast side of the island has the best snorkling, but the calm blue waters are on the west side of the island. The weather was excellent and we came home completely refreshed and rested. We can't wait to go back

2 Thank Lorraine P
Dear Lorraine P,

Sunny greetings from your holiday destination.

Thank you for your wonderful feedback you have shared with us. It gives me the great pleasure to know how much you enjoyed your recent holiday at Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your start in the most wonderful category we have to offer to enjoy completely privacy and create lasting memories with your special someone.

Thank you for highlighting our friendly and helpful service. My staff work hard to create unforgettable moments while they are staying with us. They really appreciate that you felt well cared and nothing was too much for them. It is such a joy to have all of them here with me and reflecting the good service of Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

Lorraine P, We can’t wait to have you back for your second time in paradise. If I can anything do for your future stay with us please don`t hesitate to contact me in person.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meerufenfushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
#1 of 1 in Farukolhufushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,211 reviews

Been to Meeru Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!