“Beautiful fulfilling experience, with a few drawbacks here and there”

Meeru Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meerufenfushi
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Beautiful fulfilling experience, with a few drawbacks here and there”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed in the Over Water Jacuzzi Villa for 6 nights. Beautiful waters, nicely maintained property, clean pools, Strategically placed bars. The Jacuzzi water villas in the north wing are in the only adult area which gave us all the privacy and the calm that we required. The gushing waves hitting the stilts of the villa can be a botheration to the weak sleepers though. So be careful while choosing your room. Sports activities offered are satisfying, though i feel that use of Pool tables, Badminton, bicycles etc should be complimentary. Snorkelling is the best thing that happened to us here, waters are crystal clear and the marine life is also decent. Swimming pools are strategically placed and offer good range of cocktails and other drinks.

( Negative ; The sunlounger / chair , mattresses and cushions on the pool and in the room decks are made of fabric and in case of rain, they get drenched and are of no use till the time they dry up. It is a botheration as one is unable to relax and lie by the pool or in your room deck, We had to spread our beach towels on the sunloungers in our villa deck and lie down as just the wooden loungers may hurt your back )
( Negative ; Housekeeping can be a little more effective. The dirt and dust they accumulate on cleaning the villa daily, is thrown into the sea water flowing underneath the villas which is a disappointment and makes one angry as the marine life is being affected.)

Restaurants are also nicely located with good food quality. Vegetarians may have a bit of a hard time but it is manageable. The serving staff is very courteous and shall make sure they serve you the best always. We were on a full board plan. There is an all inclusive choice also available which I feel is a personal choice at the end of the day depending on the amount of beverages one may consume during the stay etc. Water is chargeable during lunch and dinner. Over water spa is very nicely planned and located. People who love walking will have a great time here as the island is huge and there is a lot of walking involved. We had a great time walking around the island almost daily. The crabs may give you a hard time in walking on the beach so be careful. Our transfers were planned out efficiently and before the day of check out we received a detailed list of when to keep our luggage out and what time to check out etc. It saved us a lot of hassle. Bill clearing was fast and non controversial. Tipping in maldives is not necessary as all the rates include 8% GST and 10% service charge. It is up to you to tip or not. Restaurant waiters may be given anywhere between 10 to 20 US$ per week of your stay, Porters 1$ per bag. We would highly recommend this resort for people looking for quality in an economical window. Meeru island is one of the bigger islands out of the many islands of Maldives and maintaining such a huge property is a task in itself and they are doing it beautifully. With the quality and quantity we got for what we paid, we would surely like to go back to Meeru ( ignoring the few drawbacks as minor and managebale ) P.S the images shown on their official website and elsewhere is exactly how the resort looks, even better in actual.

Room Tip: Over water villas on the North side are quiter but have rougher sea. Gushing waves may trouble weak...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sheena S
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Sheena S,

Sunny greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for your sharing your Meeru experience with fellow Trip Advisor readers and I am delighted to know that you overall had a great experience with us.

Thank you for sharing the highlights of your stay such as the island itself, your appreciation of my courteous team and especially the snorkeling which you loved most. It is a MUST when you are traveling to Maldives to explore the variety of exotic tropical fishes and I am glad it made your holiday even more special.

However I am truly disappointed to read you found my housekeeping team not really effective. Please be assured that throwing the dirt and dust into the sea is not our standard here at Meeru. I will personally look into it to investigate and will discuss your comments with the management in order to continue training in environmental awareness as we have high priority to protect the marine environment. Thank you bringing it to my attention as it helps us for further improvement.

As well as one disappointment that you have highlighted is the mattresses and cushions on the pool which you can`t use until they dry up in case of rain. Thank you for pointing it out. We appreciate your valuable comments as they help to improve our guest experience and we will take your suggestions into considering.

Sheena S, Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos with us as well. We would be more than happy to welcome you back as a repeat guest in the near future. Please contact us directly if you need any assistance with your booking.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (982)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this amazing resort in November 2013. We work for an airline so receive discount on numerous resorts but after hours searching through hundreds of resorts we found this absolute gem for such a reasonable price.

We arrived in Male and were transfered to resort on a boat, this took approx 45 mins.
Once we saw the beautiful coastline of the Meeru Resort as we approached we knew we had made an excellent choice.
We had booked an over water villa with Jacuzzi and it was postcard perfect. We stayed in the 700 villas in the adult only side of the island with a beautiful sunset view. The villa was absolutely beautiful, a gorgeous decking area where we spent numerous evening watching the sunset whilst enjoying the all inclusive cocktails.
The food was exceptional, I am quite a fussy eater and was worried the all inclusive buffet would be an issue. Lets just say I gained quite a few Kgs in the days we were there. The waiting staff was extremely helpful and friendly.
We experienced the sunset cruise and managed to spot some dolphins. This was the first time I had seen wild dolphins and it was just such a beautiful thing to see whilst watching the amazing Maldives sunset.
The activitied offered were excellent. We took advantage of the daily snorkelling trips and signed up for the Scuba Diving lesson where we go to visit a local reef with shipwreck.

All in this was the holiday of a lifetime. I woud highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a luxurious slice of paradise at affordable prices.

Room Tip: Adult only side of the resort. Sunset facing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank AROD3313
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear AROD3313,

Sunny greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

We were delighted that Meeru Island Resort & Spa was chosen as the location for your holiday and we were able to create a holiday of a lifetime. WOW! I was thrilled to read your entire review.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you in our beautiful Jacuzzi Water Villa to enjoy panoramic views of the Indian Ocean and watching the sunset with a cocktail, sounds just like heaven. I am pleased to learn it worked so well on you.

I am glad you could manage so many activities and enjoyed to watch dolphins which makes your holiday really special. You will never have a better chance to watch wild dolphins playing in their natural environment than right here in the Maldives. Furthermore, one of the best destination to begin diving are in the Maldives to explore the rich marine life and I am thrilled to learn you could discover a shipwreck which makes you first step in diving really unique.

And most of all I am happy we could exceed your expectation on the food as well as our “All inclusive plus” Package. We appreciate your kind words and I will be sure to share your comments within the team.

AROD3313, thank you for highly recommending us here on tripadvisor as it means a lot to us. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Where do I begin with this review.

Stayed in novemeber 2013 in the water villa for our honeymoon. Soon as we saw the island me and the mrs feel in love with the place. The attention to detail the varity of food and the service provided by all the staff is amazing. All I can say is this is one place to add to your bucket list of places to vist.

Already planning a return trip this year for our anniversary

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Muhammad Bilal L,

Sunny greetings from your honeymoon destination.

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent holiday with us.

I am thrilled to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your honeymoon with us and it was our pleasure to accommodate you in our Water villa to start your honeymoon in style.

Muhammad Bilal L, you have mentioned returning to us again and please do reach out to us at reservations@meeru.com when you do plan your return and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Meeru is quite good and worth a visit...We weren't blown away as we've done lots of higher end resorts in other exotic locations around the world, but for their offering and relative price point to other resorts in the vicinity, they provide relative value. I'm not a fan of a few things though...their transfer system needs overhaul - we got left behind at the airport on arrival and had to wait for another transfer..(a genuine mistake which they made up for with a nice dinner), but even leaving the resort was an issue..their departure system is based on aligning with flights.. My wife and I didn't have an out flight as we were staying with local friends in Male afterwards...this caused mass confusion and i had to explain it 10 times, eventually we got a boat assigned but couldn't confirm this until the day before, which forced me to put other plans in Male on hold until i knew what was going on. I also don't like their all inclusive modeling where your pay more for the 'free' use of things like tennis racquets, golf clubs or kayak's etc..these things have little or no ongoing capital expenses to the business and should be complimentary to all guests as part of a standard resort rate.... - it's a cash grab. On the positive side, we enjoyed the food and service, the Asian Wok is a must do, the fishing was great (get out on the casting boat and the guys will definitely find the fish for you), and do the Robinson Crusoe excursion to the deserted sand bank where you get privacy and top snorkeling...that's a great experience, the colour of the water and the lagoon is exceptional. the beach villa we stayed in was nice but the A/C struggled to cool the room in the day, WIFI only worked in the villa half the time..we kept going to the bar or reception to get good WIFI. I'd also prefer a few paved pathways for people to walk on - especially around the beach villas, we were always tripping over tree roots in the evening trying to find our villa which are poorly lit & numbered. they've also gone with this 'sand in every room' theme..A novel idea, but for me sand is for the beach which there's plenty of...I like my restaurants and bars to have floors...Each to their own preference! That's the Meeru way.. Overall we had a positive experience and some great memories

Room Tip: Probably towards the top of the 600's and closer to the beach (North West side)
2 Thank Western_Expat
Dear Western_Expat,

Sunny greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

I am pleased you had an overall good experience and many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

We have read your review carefully and taken your constructive feedback seriously and I am sorry to read that your stay was not entirely to your satisfaction.

Feedback is such a valuable source of information, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and enables us to continually strive to improve our standards. I am sorry to learn we didn`t meet your expectations in specific areas. I have shared your comments with the departments in order to improve the areas where necessary.

Western_Expat, thank you once again for your really useful feedback. I do hope that the above did not detract too much from an enjoyable stay and that I will have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to Meeru Island Resort & Spa in the not too distant future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Having been to maldives 12 years previous we were apprehensive about going to a different resort. Having spent weeks looking at Trip Advisor we couldn't quite believe how good the resort sounded. However, within minutes of arriving it was like being in paradise. There is no place like the maldives for the relaxation, weather and the hospitality.

We stayed in a Jacuzzi Beach Villa in the 600s which was wonderful. It was kept fully stocked and clean but Ahmed. The outside shower was a wonderful touch.

The beach and pools were stunning and only ever a handful of guests at any one time.

The Maalan restuarant to which we were allocated was really impressive and service impeccable. Our waiter, Ismail was fantastic. After the first day he knew what drinks we wanted and make the occasion more special when he brought a birthday cake on my wife's birthday. Ismail was so attentive, friendly and made the holiday so enjoyable. We had the great pleasure one evening of having a candlelight dinner on the beach which was wonderfully decorated by Ismail. Also, within the restuarant and the cooking station Shiju made the best noodles and pasta ever! He always had a smile on his face and again knew exactly what you wanted even before you got the station.

Other areas which were fantastic were the Asian Wok restuarant with its wonderful sunsets. There are not many places were you can simply dangle your legs over a restuarant ledge and be surrounded by black tip reef sharks. The staff there again were great and Dileep was a wonderful host.

For the ladies, a top tip. Within the gift there is man who can make a dress for you within 24 hours in lots of different styles and reasonably priced.

If you are offered the chance going on a boat trip on Saarah then please take it. It was a wonderful excursion where the crew are fantastic, you get to see Dolphins and snorkel with marine life (including turtles). However, the best bits were night fishing whilst drinking champagne and have a beach party/bbq with music and dancing on a remote island.

Meeru is simply paradise and we would love to go back and enjoy the experience all over again!

5 Thank rachael m
Dear Rachael m,

Sunny greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for leaving such a wonderful feedback of your recent stay at Meeru Island Resort & Spa.

It was our great pleasure taking care of you on your visit to Meeru and it is rewarding to hear that every aspect of your stay was great.

I am thrilled to hear that Shihi, Ahmed and particular Ismail provided you an outstanding service while you were staying with us. They do work incredibly hard to ensure the highest level of service and I am delighted that you appreciated the efforts and the special touches provided by Ismail on the birthday of your wife. He will be pleased to hear you found him to be friendly and attentive as they all do strive to exceed guest expectations at every opportunity.

Rachael m, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our honeymoon - amazing place,worth the money! We loved every second from the moment we arrived. Great food, loads of activities like kayaking, snorkelling etc beautiful weather, amazing beaches....heaven

2 Thank KatyThom
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear KatyThom,

Warm greetings from your honeymoon destination!

Thank you for sharing your feedback here in Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you chose Meeru to spend your honeymoon and had enjoyed your stay.

I will be sharing your kind words to the rest of the staff.

KatyThom, if you need any assistance in planning your next visit to Meeru please do not hesitate to contact us directly it is our pleasure to assist you with your booking and request.

Larkhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My impression of resorts in The Maldives has always been that they are somewhere to go to relax and unwind and be well looked after, along with having great weather. Now we've finally been, I can't change my mind about any of that.

After a 4 hour flight from Dubai, the final part of our journey to Meeru was made by speedboat, which was a fun introduction to this part of the world. On arrival, check-in was totally painless, thanks to the Hayes and Jarvis rep Lesley, who made the whole procedure personal and informative.

We stayed in a jacuzzi beach villa, initially in the 600's row, but when my wife commented to Lesley that she felt the beach was too far from us (relatively speaking) through the trees, she arranged for us to move to 111, which was just a few steps from the sand. Although the beach itself was not as picturesque there, and nearer to the jetty area, its closer proximity to the restaurant, bars, and reception area suited us much better.

What followed was 7 days and nights of bliss. The buffet meals were always to our liking, and we were allocated the same table and waiter for the duration of our stay. We spent most of our time either on the beach or in the water, and it was a very pleasant one hour stroll around the island, stopping at the bars spaced around the island for a drink. Well, its important to keep hydrated!

We were on All Inclusive Plus, which we discovered included a number of freebies, including a Sunset boat trip, which is slightly misnamed, since everyone aboard spent most of the time watching the dolphins which leapt and swam around the boat almost on cue. This boat trip will be the overriding memory of the holiday, an experience we will remember for a long time.

Our other boat trip was ok rather than great, a 4 island visit, which gave us an insight into how the local people lived, along with visits to another (more expensive) resort, a different beach, and a "shopping" island, although Sauchiehall Street it certainly wasn't. But, as always, it was lovely to get out on the sea for a while.

There are numerous areas for snorkelling around Meeru, but I took the opportunity to go on the free trip to a reef 10 minutes from the island, where a knowledgeable guide spent around 40 minutes showing us things of interest, including, by luck, a turtle who joined us for a few minutes.

This holiday was trouble free and extremely enjoyable from start to finish. We had no health problems, minimal contact with creepy crawlies, but maximum interaction with the wonderful staff, who without exception made us feel very welcome. Our only moan would be about the bed, which was unfortunately hard and a wee bit uncomfortable.

We probably won't get the opportunity to visit The Maldives again, but we have with us forever, memories of friendly people, gorgeous beaches and perfect weather.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the sunsets!

2 Thank Jim C
Dear Jim C,

Sunny greetings from Meeru island Resort & Spa.

Thank you for leaving such wonderful feedback of your recent stay and I am happy to learn you had a memorable stay with us from the start to finish. I'm pleased that you felt you received a warm and personal welcome by Lesley as indeed you should.

I am glad to hear we were able to move you to the other side of the island to be closer to the beach and you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

As you mentioned we offer daily snorkeling trips to our house reef which is an ideal spot to explore the variety of marine life. I am glad you had the chance to see some turtles which makes your snorkeling trip even more special.

Thank you for your lovely comments on the meals and it I will be sure to pass on your praise to our chef and his team who will appreciate it.

On the other hand we are more than sorry to hear about your challenges during the night and did not have the chance to sort this out during your stay. We have different opportunities to avoid this to prepare your bed with two duvets in advance.

Jim C, We still hope you will get the chance to visit us again and in case you will return please let us know in advance and we are more than happy to assist you with your booking to ensure you will get a restful sleep. All the best from Meeru.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meerufenfushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
#1 of 1 in Farukolhufushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,309 reviews

Been to Meeru Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!