“TropicaLLuxury and Great Diving” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meeru Island Resort & Spa

Meeru Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meerufenfushi
Oceanside, California
“TropicaLLuxury and Great Diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

A country of barely dry islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Few have even heard of it. The resort is the whole island. Widely separated private cottages, on the beach. We had incomparable service, with personal touches. Great wall diving, off shore snorkeling and great sunsets. Excellent meals, outdoors next to the pool. Maximum time to relax, read, and be a couple. We'd go again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank William H
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear William H,

Sunny greetings from your holiday destination!

I am grateful for the feedback you have shared with us about your holiday last August.
Thank you for appreciating everything that we have in Meeru.

We hope to welcome you back again. If there is anything that we can assist you with regarding your next plan to visit Meeru, please do not hesitate to contact us at reservations@meeru.com.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Simorre, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I've been to Meeru a number of times. It's an hour from the airport, not the most comfortable journey, once you're there it's wonderful. The water villas are paradise, the beach villas with jacuzzi are cute. Open air bathrooms take a bit of getting used to, but back to nature. Other reviews say you'll find ants etc, of course you will, you're in the middle of the Indian Ocean!!! Handy tip - flush away the ants with the shower head, then unwind in your personal jacuzzi with a glass of red, pure escapism from the rest of the world. Food is really good, tasty and the staff are lovely, even in Ramadan, when they are fasting and you are having a feast.
If you want to escape the world and recharge, this is a great place to do exactly that. Enjoy ;)

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Paulmw123
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Paulmw123,

Sunny greetings from your holiday destination!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience about your recent stay here with us.
I am glad to know that your trip was immediately transformed to a paradise holiday as soon as you arrived on the island.

Thank you for your excellent comments on the food and our staff, in general.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Meeru in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for recommending Meeru to everyone who will be reading your review.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I was in many places in the world but without shadow of supplier from shot he definitely one of the top resort. Pastoral scenery, postcard views, excellent food professional courteous service, pretty spacious clean rooms. Recommends for all those who seeks a dreamlike holiday without breaking savingsin. Definitely I will return there as soon as possible.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank liorb301
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear liorb301,

Sunny greetings from your dreamlike holiday destination!

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay here in Meeru last February of this year.
We are so happy to know that you had a wonderful time whilst on your vacation. I will be sharing your appreciation with the rest of the management and staff.

I could not thank you enough for recommending Meeru here in Trip Advisor.

We hope to welcome you as a repeat guest. I am really glad that you will definitely coming back. My team and I will be happy to assist you on your next holiday here in Meeru.

berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Have just returned from Meeru. This was our second visit and it was just as good as the first. I can understand why people return year after year. You do not get over the surreal feeling of being on an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. I took my shoes off as I stepped off the jetty and did not put them back on until I got back on the boat to go home. All of Meeru's restaurants and bars have sand floors so it's barefoot all the way. It's a very casual approach as far as clothes are concerned. Shorts and t-shirts are perfect for day and evening. The staff are really friendly and helpful. Our waiter last time was Shiyam who has been promoted to manager of the Dhoni bar. It was so good to see him again. Go and say hello to him, you'll recognise him by his beautiful smile which is a permanent fixture.
The food is varied and tasty and the rooms are beautiful. We had a water villa again. Be careful when you book as this is not one on stilts. Water villas are set on the beach about 6 feet from the waters edge. Absolutely perfect!! I have only good things to say about the island and staff. Our only disappointment was that we wanted to do a seaplane flight whilst we were there they only go wed & fri and only if there are at least 12 people. We put our names down 4 times and twice on our last visit and were still unsuccessful. Unfortunately this is run by an outside company and the island has no input. If it's something you want to do I would advise you to pay a bit extra and get the seaplane from the airport instead of the boat.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 500's are the ones set on the beach next to the waters edge and on the best side of...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank murphyberkshire
Dear murphyberkshire,

Warm greetings from your perfect island destination!

Thank you for taking your time to share your wonderful experience here in Meeru. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Water Villas are one of a kind as it gives you the two aspect which is the land and the sea. The room is situated perfectly to create a memorable moment for your stay. I am very happy that you were mesmerized with its concept.

I would like to apologize if you were not able to do the Photo Flight. Our excursions require a minimum number of guests to make it happen. Unfortunately, during your stay it was not possible as some guests did not sign up for it. Despite the situation I hope this will be one of your reasons to come back soon.

It is nice to get a good impression regarding the sandy floors that we have at the restaurant and bars.

The food we serve at the restaurants are well thought of by our Executive Chef. I am sure he will be delighted to hear your commendation.

To honor his loyalty and commend him good work ethics we have recently promoted Shiyam. I will be personally sharing your kind words about him.

My apologies as we do not have sea plane transfer since November 2010. We only provide speed boat transfers. One reason is that sometimes if weather is not so good it is difficult to transport guest from Meeru to the airport or vice versa.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback. If there is anything we can be of an assistance on your next visit here in Meeru, kindly contact us through reservations@meeru.com. We cannot wait to welcome you back.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

A very long way to travel from the US but I'm so glad we went. A beautiful island you can walk all the way around or kayak around. Great food and service and the over water bungalows were an added luxury. To turn on the water lights at night and watch sharks, parrot fish, sting ray and more swim in front of you was a first for us. It was mesmerizing. .
We did have some heavy rains which kept us from snorkeling and doing anything really outside but the majority of the time it was beautiful and we took full advantage of the resort activities. We snorkeled every day possible, usually twice a day. We took the excursion to Kagi island which was worth it and also signed up with the dive shop for their snorkeling trip as well as the daily trips to the house reef.If you want to see the most incredible fish and coral, it is breathtaking and the staff that takes care of you on these trips couldn't have been nicer.
We were on the all inclusive plus plan which included alcohol and more and it was great. Was nice to have a glass of wine with dinner and drinks outside on our patio without worrying about it.
We also had massages at the spa which were incredible. Highly recommend it.
Can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank belllasadie
Dear belllasadie,

Sunny greetings from your holiday destination!
It is my pleasure to thank you for your review about your recent holiday here in Meeru. I am happy to know that you thoroughly enjoyed even the weather is sometimes not so permitting.

Meeru is lucky for being one of the resort in the Maldives surrounded with various sea creatures. Snorkeling is one of the activities that we offer. Either you join the trips to the house-reef or by just snorkeling around the island.

All Inclusive Plus package offers a wide range of items to choose from snacks, drinks, activities and more. One advantage is some items from the minibar are included. This is for the guest to have refreshments without leaving the room. I am glad that you enjoyed the privilege of relaxing at you patio.

It is my pleasure to thank you again for your feedback and for highly recommending the spa. The therapists are well trained to provide good service and Duniye Spa constantly trains their staff to learn different techniques to a more memorable spa massage.

We also cannot wait to welcome you back. If there is anything that we can do for your next holiday with Meeru, please contact us directly.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

As above superb.

If you get the chance, give up,ypur room and go on the boat for a couple of nights. Swim with Manta Rays, sharks and see hundreds of dolphin. Not to mention it is all inclusive. Plus you may get a room upgrade on your return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mike H
Dear Mike H,

Greetings from Meeru Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your holiday last August 2013.

I believe you joined one of our Cruise and it sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Our Special Cruise is really a great get away trip as it showcases various activities. As you mentioned swimming with manta, sharks and seeing dolphins are some of the highlights. In addition to that, you get to visit Kagi island and have a barbeque lunch or a special dinner on the beach. These cruise are free of charge. Guests who join the trip may sometimes get upgrade of their meal plan if they are Fullboard or a free room upgrade if rooms are available.

I am glad you had a superb time with us and the cruise that you joined.

Mike H, it will be our pleasure to welcome you again on your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us at reservations@meeru.com and we will be very glad to assist you.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Having had a wonderful time on Meeru last October we decided to return this June and bring our daughter, with her boyfriend, to see the beauty of the island for themselves. We were all not disappointed with what we found. The island was just as we had left it.
One slight disappointment was the island didn't have a rep with the company we booked with, although there had been one when we were there before. We had requested on our booking form with the travel agent that we were repeat guests and would like rooms 635 or above, as these are nearer to the top and slightly closer to the beach. On checking in it seems the staff were not aware we were repeat guests and of our room request. We were allocated rooms in the low 600, near the middle. I asked if we could move to the top end. This couldn't be done for three days but we were moved after three days. The new rooms were just what we wanted. All this didn't take away any of the enjoyment of the holiday and was handled very well.
If you want to do trips off the island you have a few choses. We have done the four island tour. It was very interesting as you visit two local islands to experience what it is like to live out there. The island for lunch is wonderful with snorkelling just off shore. It is well equipped with amenities too. The other is a resort island which gives you an insight to a real luxury hotel, though I prefer Meeru. The Kagi trip has now changed to just the one island, but you do get more time to snorkel. Kagi was a bit of a shock to us as it is very basic in the amenities, though there is building happening to improve the facilities. The snorkelling is great. On the way back we stopped to snorkel where turtles can be found. That was special.

Within five minutes of being in the Kahuni bar to check in we met up with one of many staff we had met last year. To our surprise, with all the guests that must pass though the resort, we were recognised and given a friendly welcome. This was one of many staff that received us in the same way. So I would like to thank Nella and Matthew, who worked at the Kahuni and Dohni bars for their welcome back, to the staff at the over water spa who gave us a wonderful experience again with a warm welcome back. I would also like to thank Nazeer for going out of his way to sorting out a request for us. In fact all the staff we came in contact with as we went around the island were friendly and willing to say hello.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Diver29
WalterKaufmann, General Manager at Meeru Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Diver29,

Greetings from your favorite holiday destination!

I am very pleased to read your feedback regarding your recent holiday with us. Thank you for sharing it here in Trip Advisor.

I would like to apologize as we were not able to welcome you as a repeat guests. Normally the travel agent makes a remark if a booking is for a repeat guest. And if there are requests, Reservations will be receiving the request and we put a note on your profile.

On the good side I was happy that we were able to make your request happen after three days of waiting for your requested room. I am glad that the room given was what you wanted and made your stay a memorable one.

It was really nice to know that you enjoyed Island Hopping and Kagi excursions. We have recently changed the Kagi excursion with a visit to Kagi and then to the Turtle reef. Thank you as you find it special snorkeling with the turtles.

One of our goal is to make your stay a memorable one, I am glad that our staff made it happen. I will personally share your feedback with the rest of the staff especially to Nazeer, Nella and Matthew.

Diver29, we hope to welcome you on your next visit. Please contact our Reservations team at reservations@meeru.com if you need any assistance and we will be glad to assist you.

Walter C. Kaufmann, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meerufenfushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
#1 of 1 in Farukolhufushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,204 reviews

Been to Meeru Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!