“2-3 star motel - depending on your expectations”
Review of Blue Sea Motor Inn

Blue Sea Motor Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in North Truro
Upstate New York
“2-3 star motel - depending on your expectations”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This motel is a time-trip to the past (think 60's). It was "adequate" for us, but if you regularly frequent moderately priced chain hotels like Hampton Inn, Wingate, Fairfield Inns etc. you will probably not like this place. We arrived an hour or two before check-in and were given our room keys cheerfully by the gal at the front desk. The bus stops right across from the motel and is a WAY BETTER option than driving into P'town. Checked out the pool and hot tub which seemed adequate but the structure they're in looks shabby. Didn't use the pool/hot tub but the people in there said they were happy.
First the rooms: we were on the "beach" side (see below) in the older section 114-121 and when we first arrived the room smelled dank and I was sketched out. The rooms are like a time travel backwards right down to the floral curtains, dark indoor/outdoor carpet, pink bathroom (with a constantly running faucet which gets to you but apparently not them), big boy TV and 2 queen beds which actually were firm. There is a miniscule refrig (no freezer) and a coffee maker (no coffee but you can get packets in the office). The room was very dated, but clean. Our room was quiet (114 is right next to the road- 121 farthest from road) and gets the late afternoon sun (100-112 get morning sun and afternoon shade). I mention that because we had cool, clear, breezy weather during our stay so didn't use the A/C and had fresh air blowing through. Had it been hot and/or damp we would have had to use the A/C which seemed pretty old and I wondered about the filter. If you choose the older section near the office try 100-112 for the late day shade. I had to get something from the front desk during our stay and a very pleasant young guy accommodated my request. Wifi was available and was no problem. The "beach front" rooms are more expensive and from what I saw of the beach aren't worth it (see below). Beachfront rooms are 2 story and appeared to have far more children.
The beach: There is a huge sandy beach overlooking the bay but the entire shoreline is choked with sea weed. It is fine if you like to sit in a beach chair and read, look at the water, or have kids who like to play in the sand but you wouldn't want to swim here (see pictures). This is where the whole "beach side" thing eludes me. We ended up driving to the real beach and taking the bus to P'town.
To sum it up: It wasn't an awful experience (though I arrived with trepidation from some of the reviews). The room was clean, quiet, my bed comfy and the staff friendly but I wouldn't stay here again because I would rather be where I could walk to town and/or the ocean. If you're used to old style motels you'd probably be OK here (it took me a couple of days to get used to it). As I've noted in my other reviews of our visit I'm glad to have seen the area but found pretty much everything in P'town over-priced.

Room Tip: For this hotel I would choose the older section near the office because it has wifi and is close to...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanne A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Holden, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The owners seemed nice, even let us check in a few hours early. The room was clean and the view of the dunes was gorgeous. That being said, my wife and I wouldn't stay there again. The bed was so uncomfortable that we couldn't sleep through the night and would wake up super early with very sore backs. If our stay had been any longer, we would have had to switch hotels!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jen_sisson

Travellers are raving about these North Truro hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have stayed at the Blue Sea Motor Inn two times and have had mixed experiences during each stay. My first stay was acceptable for a beach side motel in this price range. The room was mid size, with a separate bedroom and a small kitchen right on the water. I was visiting Provincetown for memorial weekend with several friends and the room accommodated us for the short period of time we spent there (we were in town most of the time). The room was neat with some updates, overall a decent room for the price.

My second and most recent stay was the complete opposite. I had booked over the phone with a staff member who assured me the room was comparable to the one I had stayed in before. I asked her several questions to make sure the room had a living area, kitchen, and bedroom, to which she all answered yes. I arrived on a Friday afternoon, checked in, and was horrified with what I found. First, the room was tiny and faced the parking lot. The lamp on the night stand was broken, with the shade dangling for its life. The "kitchen" was a 2 foot counter, one cabinet, a sink, and two burners. A small mini fridge sat next to a bureau that held an outdated television. A queen size bed sat in the middle of the room with a small bathroom off to the left. The bathroom was horrendous! It was barely big enough for one person, and as a full size adult, it was nearly impossible for me to shut the door and use the toilet at the same time. I tried to open the windows and was attacked by the large amounts of dust embedded in the shades.

On Saturday, my guest and I went to the beach for a few hours and returned to shower and head into town. The water constantly went from scalding to freezing without warning. The towel bar within the shower itself fell suddenly even though nothing was on it.

Overall the room was filthy. I don't think this is due to the efforts of the housekeepers (they were very friendly!) but the fact that updates and maintenance seem to be an unworthy expense. There were even ants in the carpet! If I hadn't been checking out the next day, I would have left early.

There are better places to stay within the same price range. Do yourself a favor and book at a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lisa G
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is a typical beach motel. Dated but clean. We stayed in the building across the street during this July 4th weekend. We stayed downstairs. The room was quiet and large, with 2 queen beds and fridge/microwave/sink. There was a nice deck outside where you can see the sand dune and Rt.6. The carpet is sticky and the bed not comfy. The bathroom is small with the sink outside. It was pouring this July 4th but the room was perfect dry, no leaks.

The building is literally steps to the Truro/Provincetown border. The P-town shuttle stops in front of the building. It's not on the beach side, and is a bit of a trek to walk across the street to enjoy the motel beach with our stuff. We drove.

Hotel staff is helpful and relaxed. However, I often found the front door locked with no one inside. They also don't provide coffee, tissue, etc in the room; little things you expect to see in any motels. There is also no wifi in our building.

Price is good. Location is good. Place provides a lot of value, but is obviously not a luxury. So set your expectations right.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Charles02138
Westbrook, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here last week for a night. The man at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The inn could use some updating but there rates are very fair considering the location. The beach out front is nice. ?The transit bus into Ptown picks you up right out in front of the inn which is very convenient
Overall we were pleased with our stay and would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mike P
Bethlehem, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The owner was amazing and upgraded our stay to a 2 room suite.... we loved it. Everyone was great, very clean, loads of towels....The location was the best, close to everything. The rooms were spacious and with 2 flat screen TV's !
Thanks for the stay at your place and hope to come back soon!

Room Tip: loved room 124! Cooked breakfast every morning, very relaxing. our weather was lousy, but the stay...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lambie555
Reviewed 2 June 2014

After staying here for many years with ok experiences, we recently returned to this very dated motel. However, this time, a huge group staying here thought it was fine to totally take over the place with loud, raucous outdoor parties outside the motel rooms both nights we were there. Shouting, loud music, and lots of drinking went on until well after midnight. We asked the partygoers to quiet down (or tried to since we couldn't be heard over the noise) but to no avail. Alas, no management around to call so we had to call (reluctantly) the police. Finally, at around 1 AM the noise stopped abruptly. (Presumably, due to the police arriving.) This, however, wasn't even the worst of it. Upon telling the office the next day about what had happened, they merely laughed it off and said this group comes every year and always has loud parties (in other words, too bad). We were told we were the only other people staying there and they couldn't keep the place quiet just for us. First of all, this was a lie (there were other people who were not part of this group staying there) and, secondly, even if we were the only other people shouldn't they keep the place quiet after midnight??

We didn't even get anything resembling an apology! This is outrageous customer service. On top of that, they failed to clean our room the first day were there. At the very least, we should have been offered a credit for our stay but, I guess they thought we should have just put up with this situation.

Stay away from this lowlife place! We won't be returning.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sandcastle Resort
Sandcastle Resort
#14 of 15 in Provincetown
The Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's

Been to Blue Sea Motor Inn? Share your experiences!