“We love this little local pub”
Review of The Whitman House

The Whitman House
Ranked #7 of 10 Restaurants in North Truro
Price range: US$0 - US$26
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We eat at the Whitman at least a few times a month. The food and the value are outstanding. The service is friendly and family like. We just moved to town and this was the first place we went and we appreciate their blackened fish choices and their ample portions.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

My first trip to the Whitman house will likely be my last. The building is lovely and offers both a dining room and tavern. We decided on the tavern which consists of a small bar area and a nice porch. We soon learned that the complementary popcorn in the bar area was not for folks on the porch, even though they a part of the same place.

The food was fair at best. According to our server Blackened swordfish could not be "lightly" blackened because they buy it blackened..huh? Teriyaki beef was tough,Portions of the sides was very small.

Our server seemed like she wanted to be anywhere else but the Whitman House. With all the restaurant choices on Cape Cod you can do much better

1  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 29 September 2013

When we pulled up we were concerned about the 2 tour buses in the parking lot but upon entry there was room in a very nice setting and we were treated very well, servers were pleasant, efficient and helpful. A whipped cheese with bread sticks started it off - we had the appetizer sampler which contained a selection of baked clams, oyster and mushrooms which was very good - the salad was absolutely excellent with 3 different dressings served, excellent hot bread accompanied this - we had the lamb chops which were tasty but a little tough, striper (fish) which was excellent and the accompanying baked potato and rice were perfect. deserts sounded good but we were too full.
The accompanying local winery Malbec was ok. Overall a very good value.

1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I always bring my guests to the Whitman House. It is a family business and treats you as family when there. They have a great early bird special with five choices, from cheese and crackers to coffee and dessert. Their regular menu gives many great choices also. The staff is usually very professional, although the last visit, I must say was not.The young waitress told my guest " you aren't saving that are you" which was a small amount of stuffed baked shrimp along with her baked potato. Also when asked for another cup of decafe coffee was told" don't have any, I'll have to have to make another pot." like it was a bother, instead of telling my guest, it will be a moment as another pot is brewing. All in all, the food was excellent, and would go back again and ask for a different waitress. This was the first time in years I had this experience. Also Thanksgiving dinner is also excellent here. The breads and pies and desserts are all homemade by the owners.

1  Thank marinemom1945
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We first visited the Whitman House over fifteen years ago, but it had been four years since our last visit to the Cape. After reading other reviews we were somewhat cautious about a visit this year but we decided to give it a try. A meal at the Whitman House is our one special dinner on vacation and we were not disappointed. Everything about our experience was as good as we remembered. We were unable to sit at our favorite table due to the arrival of a bus tour, but we were given a quiet corner table in the pub. Despite a packed house, the service was prompt and very friendly. Our server was professional and attentive, but not overly so. As before, our meal included crackers and cheese, a large salad served family style with four kinds of dressing and a warm loaf of bread and a choice of baked potato or rice. My lamb chops were cooked to perfection and my husband said his filet mignon was tender and flavorful. We're glad that we were not discouraged by the negative reviews because everything about our experience at the Whitman House was perfect.