“Absolutely the rudest”

Dining options: Reservations
Saint Albans, Vermont
“Absolutely the rudest”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stopped by to get dinner at the bar a little before 9pm. I asked if they were still serving. The bar was full of people. The woman who greeted me told me the kitchen shut down at 9 and that if I stayed I had 4 minutes to order. I headed into the bar which was still full of dinners. When I sat down at the bar, the bar tender asked if she could help me but sent a message that seemed to ask what I was doing there. I asked about dinner. She told me in a thoroughly annoyed manner that if I wanted dinner, I had 4 minutes to order. She threw her arms up in disgust as she stormed off. Since they were not yet closed, I was horrified at how rudely I was treated. How does a restaurant stay in business when they are so rude to customers. They had not yet closed so there was no excuse for telling me if I wanted to stay, I had better order in 4 minutes. It was the rudest thing I have ever experienced.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Margaret M

“Timeless favorite”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I arrived early enough to partake of the early bird specials which consists of 5 courses for very reasonable price. I had baked cod and my wife the grilled pork chops. Both were cooked to perfection and the service was excellent.
The restaurant has a nautical theme with numerous items such as buoys, harpoons and pictures of ships on the wooded walls. A real Cape atmosphere.
I ve been coming to this establishment since the 80ties and have never been disappointed .

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Feebus
North Providence, Rhode Island
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I have been vacationing at the Cape for over 40 years, and the Whitman House was one of those old, traditional American Cuisine restaurants. Good seafood and steaks, quaint, old-New England style interior and good service.

For the past few years we've seen some inconsistencies in service and food quality, and the meal we had there last week will be our last one there. For years, we would joke about the "oh so 60's" garnish of the spiced apple ring, and we were surprised to see the step into this century with a garnish of a watermelon triangle - which was especially surprising when served on a plate with Chicken Parmesan with pasta. My daughter-in-law, who received the Chicken Parm plate, said it was one of the worst she's ever had - over-cooked and terrible sauce.

My plate was a petite filet, which was not seasoned AT ALL, with a rice pilaf that was so overcooked, gummy and bland. Did they run out of salt and pepper in the kitchen? The overall experience with the food, of the four diners at our table, was that the shrimp cocktail was nice and the salad was nice - all went downhill from there.

As for our waitress - adequate is a kind remark. Her appearance was sloppy, as was her service.

What a shame to see such a lovely restaurant go so far downhill that I know I will never set foot in there again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank CathyandMike_13
Melbourne, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing dining experience”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

2 weeks ago my husband and I visited The Whitman House. We both ordered the fish.
When the salad dressing arrived my husband found a foreign object in the blue cheese dressing A customer at the table next to us said he had the same problem last time he was there !. A manager was summoned and said no one ever complained before?! The baked potato came and when cut into was black and rotten inside, the waitress promptly brought another and the manager who happened to be standing there said" you are having a bad time of it, aren't you?" The waitress was harried, she claimed she was new and had to many tables. I overheard another customer ask for a beer twice before it was finally delivered. I spoke to the manager on our way out and she made a multitude of excuses: short staffed, early in the season etc.,etc.
I wrote to the owner which I never received a response. I then called and spoke with one of the owners, he said he had not received the email. Why write one if it is not seen? He then said the next time we come?
Why would we revisit when we were so unhappy with the last experience. Save your money and visit other dining establishments that care about their customers, their feedback and their overall dining experience. );
Sheila Eldredge East Harwich,Ma.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank sheila e
Provincetown, Massachusetts
“Back in Time”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had spent the day on the beach and were trying to figure out a casual place to eat.
Being May,we figured it was safe to drive, we wound up here unexpectedly. It fit the bill perfectly. We both decided on the same two dishes, so we ordered them to split, Baked Stuffed Shrimp and Chicken ala Whitman. We enjoyed both of them very much. On the table when we were seated was cheese and crackers. That was followed by salad and fresh warm bread, then came our entrees! They were more than generous. The dishes were well prepared, cooked like good old fashion comfort food, nothing fancy but very tasty. We were told they are in their 53rd year of operation and they have certainly retained that '60's feeling. On this particular night it was pretty quiet which added to the enjoyable atmosphere. The decor is rustic and warm. Our service was relaxed and very good. I was a bit disappointed by the Key Lime Pie. Will plan to return in the fall!

• Visited May 2014