“Great location, nice facility HORRIBLE customer service/satisifaction”

Sandbars on Cape Cod Bay
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in North Truro
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great location, nice facility HORRIBLE customer service/satisifaction”
Reviewed 28 June 2006

We just came back from a tweekend getaway to Cape Cod and stayed at the Sandbars. My husband and I were travelling with another couple and had previously stayed at Sandbars without any issues. The rooms are clean and pleasant and we had a ground floor room with a slider that opens out directly onto the beach.

Well unfortunately I cannot say that our experience this year was as pleasant as we had anticipated. After spending a most enjoyable day on the beach I headed into our room to shower and dress for our evening out. What a surprise I got when I discovered that there was not hot water. My husband attempted to reset the circuit breaker (located in our room) for the water heater which didn't seem to resolve the issue so he went to the office for help. The owner came to our room extremely annoyed to begin with and when I attempted to expalin that no hot water had been run prior to my shower and that I was the first to get in, feel on deaf ears. He implied that we had somehow depleated the 40 gallaon capacity tank by taking numerous showers and to just wait 45 minutes before we try again.

Needless to say, the 45 minute wait didn't help and we again went to the office for help. When the owner came to our door he was extremely upset and continued to imply that it was "our fault" there was no hot water...upon further investigation he determined that the water heater was in fact leaking and NOT working!! He rudely stated we had a couple of options, check-out and he'd refund our money and we could go somewhere else or move to another room. (never offered assistance with moving all of our belongings, food, etc.)...his direct quote..."what do you expect me to do on a Friday afternoon". He also never apologized for his behavior or accusations!

We did in fact move to another room but we continued to scratch our heads wondering how we had somehow been to blame for this situation. The incident put a real damper on the weekend!

The morning we checked out, as our husbands were loading the car, the owner and his wife were in the parking lot. The wife said hello and asked how our stay was BUT the husband just walked past without a word. We left the key in the office on the desk with a shout from the back... thank you.

Sandbars has see us for the last time...too bad...it really is a nice location buy lacks customer service and satisfaction!

Stayed June 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 7 May 2006

We just came back from a trip to Cape Cod and stayed at the Sandbars. My husband and I were travelling with our 2 yr old and another couple with a toddler. The rooms are clean and pleasant. The location is convenient to Provincetown and the view of the bay from our room was spectacular. Private decks that look out onto the private beach are a big plus. Having a small kitchen was also very handy.

Unfortunately, the one thing that marred the trip was one of the proprietors. We had pre-paid for an entire week, but did not check-in until Tuesday. We had told the person we made the reservation with through our time-share, but we did not know that we needed to inform Sandbars directly. When I called Sandbars to tell them we would be arriving they were annoyed that we had not checked in on Saturday. The room was paid for, so I'm not sure why this would pose a huge problem. This was also during a coastal flood warning in MA, so it is unlikely that they would have been able to rent the rooms to someone else.

They have a checkout time of 10 am. and we were huffily reminded that we were running late at ten after. This was in the off-season and there was no one waiting for our room; there were also other vacancies in the hotel. I apologised for the delay, and the proprietor was very dismissive. He was adamant about wanting to clean up our room immediately. When travelling with a toddler, it is sometimes slow going. I was also trying to make sure that we left the room in good order. As I scrambled to get out with my son, I forgot to return the key. He then berated my husband with a litany of complaints in the parking lot. "You arrived four days late, you are the last ones to leave and then you leave w/o returning the key!!" We were dumbfounded by his reaction. Our children were very well-behaved, we did not cause any damage to the property, did not throw any wild parties or trash the room. Moreover, we were joined by our friends' father who rented another room there for two nights, so we actually brought more business with us. The discourtesy displayed by the proprietor was, to say the least, not a very nice way to end an otherwise very pleasant trip.

Pros:
Clean rooms
Beautiful bay view
Quiet location
Kitchenette

Cons:
Storage space in the room is a little limited (no closet)
Very strict about check-out/check-in time

Some Highlights from our trip:
Bonkerz Party Zone in South Yarmouth
---
This was a great place to take the kids on a rainy day. They have a wonderful jungle gym made of woven material that has the fastest, slippery slides. Adults are allowed to crawl around on the equipment with the kids, and it is just crazy fun. There is also an inflatable bouncing area, a little train table, books and blocks. It was also very inexpensive.

The Children's Museum in Mashpee
---
There is a model of a Pirate Ship for the kids to crawl around on. There are also many other interactive activities. Picnic tables outside were perfect for an informal lunch under cherry trees.

Fanizzi's in Provincetown
---
The food here is very good and they are accomodating of small children, which is not always the case in Provincetown. There is also a nice view of the water.

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank smilla88
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 September 2005

We visited the Sandbars Motel in North Truro, Massachusetts, last year in mid June. It is an older motel that had recently been renovated. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated. Since we had booked this motel for a spur of the moment trip, we didn't know what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised. The view of the Cape was spectacular. It was fun to watch the loons and other birds on the water as well as listen to the fog horns in the evenings. The full moon setting over the water was spectacular. It is only a few minutes into Provincetown and all the wonderful attractions and restaurants. There are tours of every kind. There are also wonderful wineries and all types of specialty shops. There is something for everyone in this area.

The staff at the Sandbars were wonderful and always ready to accommodate. We went early in the season, so I'm sure our traveling around the area was made easier due to fewer tourists at that time of year.

We felt very much at home there and would definitely stay there again.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Top Mast Resort
Top Mast Resort
#1 of 11 in North Truro
The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Been to Sandbars on Cape Cod Bay? Share your experiences!