“Nice, basic resort, but no A/C”
Review of Top Mast Resort

Top Mast Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in North Truro
Buffalo, New York
“Nice, basic resort, but no A/C”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My family and I stayed at Top Mast for 4 days for a long 4th of July weekend. Our room - a one room efficiency - was clean and well equipped. The location of the resort is excellent - right on the beach, and less than a 10 minute drive from Provincetown. The beach is rocky, but otherwise very nice. There is a great indoor pool, kiddie pool, and hot tub on the premises. The restaurant on the premises serves a very good and reasonably priced breakfast, thought I must say we were put off by the fact that the waitress told us that our friends could not give their own blueberries to their babies and had to purchase food for them (even though we had 6 adults ordering food).

I would say that for us (3 adults and 1 toddler), the one room efficiency was too small. It would be a perfect amount of space for 2 people, but no more. Once we opened the fold out couch, there was almost no room to walk. The balcony was very nice to have - we spent a lot of our evening time there while my daughter slept. The one major drawback to this resort, which is the reason I would not return there, is the lack of air conditioning. I am sure that for most of the year these rooms get a nice breeze from the water, however during our stay the weather was extremely hot (90's during the daytime) and there was not much of a breeze. We had trouble sleeping, and I was genuinely worried that my 1.5 year old daughter may overheat. She is usually a good sleeper, but cried for almost 3 hours because of the heat. The one small fan that was provided did not help much.

Overall, this may be a very nice getaway location for some people, but it was just too small and too hot for us.

1 Thank I R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This was our fifth year going to Top Mast Resort with our children and grandchildren. The resort has beachfront efficiency units making it easy to cook inside or on the grill right off the deck on the beach. The spa building is gorgeous and relatively new with a huge indoor pool and little duck pool for babies. Let's not forget the most incredible hot tub ever! The deck on the spa building is huge and has a gas firepit for all to enjoy when the sun goes down. Add a couple of umbrella drinks for adults and children and you can call it a day! The Top Mast Café serves great breakfasts everyday. Did I mention that the entire facility is immaculate? I'm so glad our family found this place to vacation together. We've already planned our next visit. Gloria C, Rhode Island

Room Tip: Ground floor, beach front efficiency or efficiency w/extra bedroom. I prefer the end unit.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just returned from Top Mast Resort in North Truro. I grew up going to this area so it was a thrill to take my daughter back to experience it. I was nervous about booking any hotel without an outdoor pool, but as it turned out it rained a lot while we were there and my daughter LOVED the indoor pool. The beachfront rooms are literally 25 feet from the ocean. AMAZING views. These are not plush five star rooms they are CLEAN hotel type rooms with small kitchenettes. Spent the last 10 years taking my daughter to the caribbean so wasn't sure how she would feel about a beach with seaweed... she dove right in and played on the waves everyday! New boat / diving dock out in the ocen was TONS of fun for the kids and quite a few adults! Indoor pool area is very nice... it has a sauna and steam room and even has a little bar where you can have drinks if you stay at the pool. They have a little restaurant that serves breakfast everday and a dinner on Friday night. Food was amazing so I wish they served lunch and dinner everyday! Staff was so nice and so willing to help with any needs. Building 2 would be BEST for anyone with bad knees / walking issues... these rooms would not require stairs to get IN the room - just a few to get ON the beach. (at least from what I saw) The place is just perfect for a wonderful week on the beach. We went whale watching in Provincetown - it was amazing! We saw 15 sightings of whales! Provincetown is the most quaint town with the best shops and restaurants. I could walk around here for hours! It's a gay community so dont go there if that bothers you! All around BEST time, BEST place.... I met friends and plan to meet them next year for an annual trip!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are a little cheaper I believe but you cant beat walking right out on to the beach o...
2 Thank MsNashville40
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I simply cannot sing the praises of this place enough, but I will try... The view from our second floor efficiency room was spectacular. We were in awe from the moment we stood out on the balcony and gazed upon a vast expanse of sparkling blue ocean. The wind was so cooling and refreshing that we didn't mind at all that we did not have air conditioning. The amenities of the room suited my family's needs perfectly. We loved having a full refrigerator/freezer plus a stove so that we had the option to make our own meals. This is essential when one has a toddler who isn't always happy to eat at restaurants. The bed(s) were clean and comfortable, and the ocean sounds provided a lovely soundtrack for sleep. My husband and I were so happy to find that a wine corker was already located in the room, what a wonderful detail for the hotel to provide! I would like to mention that this was one of if not the best vacations of my life, even with a wacky two year old in tow. The pool was splendid, the poolside bar beyond convenient and relaxing, and we enjoyed breakfast at the on premises restaurant. Lastly, the staff was accommodating to my husbands request for champagne and chocolates to be delivered for our anniversary. The trip was majestic. I think we have finally found a hotel so picturesque and stellar that the online photos do not do the place justice. Too often we have found the opposite.

Room Tip: Ocean View All the Way
1 Thank emumarkland
burke,vermont
Reviewed 4 June 2013

For that go on a whale watch. Just returned from a visit, wanting to see the Lower cape in the Spring and as we had been impressed initially, again stayed at Top Mast. Caring owners, friendly, approachable staff and an ever improving environment, set this place in a class by itself. You will not be disappointed!! Breakfast at the Top Mast Café was as good as we had remembered.If you need ALL the comforts and conveniences of "home" in a vacation accommodation, you won't be happy here, or, anywhere. But if you want a great "Cape Experience", with clean comfortable rooms, spectacular views close to P-town and the National Seashore attractions...Run, do not walk, to the phone and book yourself a reservation!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2013

After reading so many good reviews, I stayed at Top Mast, and am very glad I did. It certainly is nothing fancy, but very clean, and very efficient. The gentleman that checked me in was super friendly and helpful. There was absolutely nothing between me and the beautiful views, sounds and ambiance of the ocean. It was the first weekend of the season so there were very few guests and the cafe was not open yet. However one guest made sure to tell me how much I would like the place, and that they return on that date every year, before the tourist season starts. I agree. The beach was almost empty.
My only wish is that someone would have mentioned that there is no coffee in the room. I searched in vain to find an open market to get some coffee and half n' half for the morning. Now I know to bring that with me. I also found a Stop n' Shop in Provincetown the next day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This is a great motel with an equally great location! It is right on the beach, not too far from Provincetown or other towns, but also far enough away that you can enjoy some peace and quiet. All of the employees we ran into were friendly and helpful. The indoor pool is particularly nice, with a small slide, waterfall, kiddie pool and whirlpool. We were there in the off-season, so no one seemed to be staffing the little bar area with it. The only downfall is that it can be a chilly run across the street from the rooms to the pool! We had a room with a pull-out couch, which was perfect for three of us. The rooms are cozy and comfortable and had everything we needed. Make sure to bring your own toiletries though. Sunsets from the private balconies are lovely! Note: The Top Mast Café was closed for the off season when we were there and there were not a lot of restaurants nearby. Make sure you eat elsewhere or bring takeout with you because delivery options are sub-par in food quality and service, we discovered.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
#14 of 15 in Provincetown
East Harbour
East Harbour
#10 of 11 in North Truro

Been to Top Mast Resort? Share your experiences!