We stayed at the Top Mast during the last week of June 2007, in building 3, room #3201. The temperature was very nice (70-90), but windy during the first two days. We are a family of four and our children are 6 and 8 years old. We were looking for a clean and affordable Motel or Hotel with a pool, and located directly on the beach - when you have young kids, it is a MUST and it really worth the extra money having everything nearby (bathroom, fridge, lunch, toys, pool, etc.).
I went to North Truro many times with my parents when I was much younger… and it seemed again a good choice to spend one week with my family. I first looked at South Yarmouth and Dennis Port but I preferred North Truro mainly because it is less crowded and the Motels and Hotels are not jam packed all together. The Upper-Cape, and especially North Truro, is in my opinion the most charming area of Cape Code, and it is very close to Provincetown, the Sand Dunes and many beaches facing the Atlantic or the Cape Code bay. If you are looking for Go-Karts, water and amusement parks it is not the right place…
The water temperature in the bay is a few degrees warmer than on the Atlantic side. When it’s windy, there are a lot of waves and unfortunately tons of seaweeds. If it’s the case, the peoples at Top Mast will groom the beach with a tractor every day. We spent most of our days at the Top Mast beach and pool but we went a few times to Marconi and Race Point beaches, which are great (but don’t forget to bring your lunch).
Here’s my appreciation of the Top Mast Resort.
- Cheerful and helping staff.
- Newly renovated units (building 2 and 3). Tiles in the bathroom and kitchen.
- The sound of the ocean all night long! The water and beach couldn’t be closer to your bed.
- Small but very clean bathroom. Excellent water temperature and pressure. Little window but no fan.
- Nice little kitchen. Full fridge with mini-freezer, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, two top stove, new counter top and sink.
- New clean bed sheets. Lots of clean towels every day
- Nice private balcony facing the bay – sliding door with fly screen, two chairs and small table.
- Adequate dinning table for two + two children (but only two chairs...)
- Excellent daily maid service.
- Free WIFI access around the front desk and when lucky from your room.
- Clean and warm pool, with nice chairs around.
- Rooms are sound-proof and we never heard our neighbours.
- Restaurant: good service (most of the times), nicely decorated, fair price, great quality and portion size.
- Ice cube machine (free) on the side of each building.
- Bus in front of the hotel every 30 minutes to Provincetown (1$).
- Amusing floating desk in the water.
- Only a shower in the bathroom (no bathtub).
- No separate sitting area. There is no sofa. You choices are either the beds or the dinning chairs.
- Only two chairs in the room, but if you ask the front desk they will bring some additional folding chairs.
- No alarm clock or phone in the room.
- No peephole or chain locks on the door.
- No hair dryer, no ironing board and steaming iron.
- No fan in the bathroom or over the stove top.
- No air conditioning (but you get the Cape Code bay wind when available).
- Adequate TV, but without RCA, S-Video entries. Only coaxial. If you plan to bring your DVD player, don’t forget an adapter (or 30$ at Ace in P-Town).
- The two double beds are adequate, but not really comfortable. The mattress are really too thin (or medium quality), even for me at 170 pounds…
- No recycling on site. We are in 2008... If it’s the case, there is no container in the room or visible container around the building.
- Beach: lots of seaweeds when it’s windy… The sand is not as nice as the one found on the beaches on the Atlantic side (Marconi and Race Point). But, they do groom the beach every day.
Overall, there are no major cons. We really enjoyed our stay at the Top Mast. It was money well spend. We will surely return to North Truro next year, and most probably to the Top Mast.
I think they are working on a new inside swimming pool and some other improvements. If they could look at my cons, they would find a few simple and cheap ones to do in the meantime… :-)
You could also consider going to their next door neighbour: The Horizons Beach. I visited a room and they are a little bigger, with a (small) separate sitting area, a sofa and a bigger dining table (with four chairs). There is a combo bathtub-shower in every unit. They also have a pool, but the beach was not groomed every day… It is also a couple hundred dollar more for thee week.
Long live the Top Mast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Top Mast Resort is nestled on 750 feet of private, groomed beach overlooking Cape Cod Bay and located only minutes from nearby towns of Provincetown and Wellfleet. Accommodations include; garden view units, beachfront units with or without kitchens, 2 bedroom cottages, a 3 bedroom beach house, and a trio of 4 bedroom shore houses. Enjoy our indoor health complex complete with a large, heated pool, hot tub, steam room, sauna, weight room, kiddie pool and slide, kid smoothies, frozen drinks, beer, wine, snacks, soda and an outdoor sun deck area with an evening fire pit. outdoor tennis/basketball court area and ping pong and corn hole on the lawn. Also located on site is our cafe which serves breakfast every day and dinner on Fridays, with seasonal outdoor patio dining by our large koi fish pond and water feature. Free WI-FI in every room and in various locations through out the property. Shuttle services to Provincetown. Family owned and operated for over 45 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Top Mast Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Top Mast Hotel North Truro
- Top Mast North Truro
- Top Mast Resort North Truro, MA, North America