North Of Highland Camping Area
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in North Truro
See available hotels
View Hotel
Blue Sea Motor Inn(North Truro)
View Hotel
Cape View Motel(North Truro)
View Hotel
Outer Reach Resort(North Truro)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Shoreline Motel(North Truro)
  • Beachfront
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
All reviewscamp storemeadow beachpine treeshot showersmall storebathrooms and showersclean facilitiescape codmilky waywalking distance to the beachnational seashoreowners and staffprovince landsp townper nightmany yearsshort drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The facility is lovely, the location is great, and we are repeat visitors. We understand why there are so many rules - as the evenings are quiet for sleeping and there are no open fires...but you can go to the beach with a permit and have one. This was our 2nd year going with a large group (a family and friend reunion of sorts) and about 10 sites total across our group.

However - the staff and management DO NOT COMMUNICATE with one another, and it leads to horrible guest experiences. They make you feel like you don't matter to them and they don't need your business. Which means that we will not be returning, unfortunately. This year - as last - we were meticulous in our planning and adherence to rules, and even called ahead to clarify some stuff so we were sure we wouldn't be in violation of any....

My husband has a motorcycle and he loves riding. The ride to the cape, and around P town is awesome. We saw on the website that "motorcycles can't be accommodated." We took this to mean that they can't be taken up in to the campsites where there are dirt roads, uneven surfaces, etc. Understanding/assuming that we wouldn't be able to have a motorcycle up at our campsite, we called to see if he could ride it up and keep it down in the main parking lot (by reception). We wanted to make sure we understood what "can't be accommodated" meant. The person on the phone said YES - he could have it at the campground, but it would have to be left in the main lot and covered when not in use. Ok, checked off our list! So, he rode up. (Had they said no, he would not have ridden up).

We arrived (me by car with the tent, etc, and him by bike) and there were no issues. He covered the bike, left it at the main lot, and camped up in our Area 4 site.

The next day, we decided to take the motorcycle to P town. After all, the point of riding up was so that we could take the bike out. We rode around for the day, and when we got back, a yelling man came out to us to explain that we can't have the bike there and we need to leave the property. He said that we can have the bike up there - but we could only arrive on it and leave on it - and can't use it while we're staying there. The owner even came out and asked us to leave and said we were breaking rules. WE HAD THE NAME OF THE PERSON ON THEIR STAFF WHO TOLD US WE COULD HAVE THE BIKE THERE BUT NOT IN THE CAMPSITE (ONLY IN THE MAIN LOT). The owner then explained to us that she's only worked there a few weeks. We also stressed that we pushed the bike, in neutral, off the property altogether before starting it to ride off. We were conscious of the noise and were respectful of all rules, etc. He still wanted us to leave and it got really heated. My husband then drove the bike to a local gas station where we paid them to keep it there, covered, until we left. Absolute frustration.

In terms of his employee not being there long and giving us wrong info, sorry - but not our problem. We specifically called ahead and asked. We made the decision to have the motorcycle there (hundreds of miles from home) based on us calling to ASK FIRST. If they don't allow bikes there in the main lot, she should have said something or clarified with her management before answering us. We didn't even ever expect to have the bike up in our campsite, nor did we want to, and that is what we thought the rule was - and even took the step to call before heading up.

I highly suggest their staff and management go through some internal communications training and some customer service courses. Lack of their communication and clarity of rules should NOT lead to us having a horrendous time and being spoken to like criminals - and cost to park the bike offsite, which we wouldn't have ridden up if they said no!!! It was a horrible experience and it left me with such a bad feeling about how we were treated.

I would say there are probably many other campsites that offer just as much beauty and convenience, without having to be treated as we were. Take your tent and your money elsewhere!

Room Tip: Area 4 (in the 188-234 site range) has great access to the bathrooms and nice tucked in, quiet space. Good for people/families wanting adjoining sites.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
23  Thank klritter
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The staff was so friendly and pleasant. The woman who ran the camp store made a great dark roast coffee and talked to you like she knew you forever. The sites were a beautiful, forest like setting. The pine needles collect water from the ocean mist that sprays, so the are always dripping faint little drops of water...very unique!

The showers are decent, the ones on the ends by the exit doors in the woman's room have a real shower head which is nice. The bathrooms can attract quite a few bugs but they are clean otherwise. The staff takes great care of the facilities overall.

There is a trail to the beach which helps avoid hefty beach fees which is nice but stay on the trails and be WATCH THE POISON IVY.

Head of the Meadow beach is amazing. There is a unique water and sand bar that run just before you get to the real ocean. Go early in the morning while its low tide to easily cross or you may be swimming across. During high tide you can float down this water bar as we did, like a lazy river! There were so many seal sightings while swimming I lost count. Be careful though, seals are shark food!

My family and I stayed a week and I just didn't feel like it was long enough!! This was a very special place and I'm so glad it was our selected vacation spot this year!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank NJfoodisjustbetter
Reviewed 8 July 2013

A nice, quiet, clean campground with easy access (walk or bike) to the beach. Clean bathrooms with outdoor cold showers at each campsite loop. Warm showers ($0.25 for 5 min) and laundry facilities at the camp store near the entrance. Groceries and restaurants are not far away in Provincetown or Truro. It is a bit pricey at $40 per night per site for one vehicle and 2 adults + $14 for each additional adult or vehicle.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Greg W
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Today I called to make a reservation for myself and a couple friends. It would be a total of 4 women including myself. I called and asked about making a reservation and the woman told me that the four of us can't stay together because we are all FEMALE! She said two girls can stay on one site and two girls on another. So i asked if we could stay together if only three girls went and she said one girl would have to stay by herself. The whole point of the trip was to spend time together. She said that if we had a group of both men and women we could stay together, WHY does that make a difference?? She claimed "we are very respectful of our quiet hours". I don't see how gender can determine how loud a group will be? Maybe age but not gender! They allow six people to a site so why couldn't four girls stay together? Absolutely rediculous! Gender discrimination. I plan on sending my business else where. If you want good customer service and to have fun on your trip, don't come here!! They will not be accommodating for the customer!

Stayed: June 2013
26  Thank Jgallant95
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I have stayed at North of Highland most summers since 1991. The campground is away from roads, and quite rural, even though it's on Cape Cod. It's a good place for bikes, kids, and kids on bikes. It's also decent for adults, because it's quiet.

When on Cape Cod, I like to go to the National Seashore. Staying at North of Highland I can do that without having to deal with traffic and people.

There are a lot of rules. Most of the rules prevent people from doing stuff that isn't neighborly. For example, having no fires is great, because it isn't smokey and people don't burn trash. The people that run this place are polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Look at the map at the web site.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family