“Nothing special”

Herrell's Ice Cream & Bakery
Ranked #1 of 8 Dessert in Northampton
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Description: Award Winning Ice Cream Shop and Bakery, specializing in dairy and No-Moo dairy free baked goods (Vegan and Gluten Free), frozen desserts and hot fudge sauces. No-Moo Cookies, Pies and Cakes, Ice Cream Cakes, Gourmet Dairy Ice Creams available in house, online and wholesale. 370+ flavors of frozen desserts and still counting! And Kosher!
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It's considered the best ice cream in Northampton because it's pretty much the only ice cream shop there. The line was very long and there was no order once you got up to the counter. People were walking in, not knowing the line was out the back and down the hall.
None of the flavores seemed eye catching, and the ice cream I had ( I got the sampler) was so-so except for the lavender. There is hardly any seating available in the place. Overrated in my opinion.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The ice cream at Herrell's in unbeatable. They offer such a wide variety of flavors and sizes. Sometimes at night there is a very long line, but it moves fast. It just demonstrates the popularity of this outstanding little shop. It is definitely a nice place to go after dinner in Northampton. I definitely recommend it!

1  Thank The-Count-of-Tuscany
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The flavors are to die for, the hot fudge is AMAZING! Be sure to grab an extra jar to take home. Every time we visit family in Northampton we make a point of always stopping at Herrell's.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Simply the best: Ice cream that is iced cream, not powdered dairy product..Flavors that are from nature, not chemists' beakers. Hot fudge direct from God.

1  Thank abobharris
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is the most famous Ice-Cream shop in Western MA. The backstory is the founder was an innovator of Ice-Creams since the early 1970’s. He came up with a way to create air-tight rich ice-cream that was unlike the competitors. The shop also featured the ability to mix in candy choices into the ice cream instead of the usual standard already made flavors like Chocolate Chip. That same setup is still available as an option today. While this sounds standard, who knows maybe if he wasn’t such a cool guy, ice cream shops around the world would owe him royalties. The photos you can see in the place paint the picture that he is not that kind of guy.

As for my actual review, we went to North Hampton to eat Osaka’s Japanese food in December 2013 on a cold snowy winter day. On the way out I asked my daughter, do you want Ice-Cream? As this place right across the street. She said no. Well I’m diabetic and can’t eat too much of this stuff but it had been years and I sure as heck wanted a taste. School had been released early that day and she was going sledding but then cancelled last minute because it was too cold. I said “you should buy it just so you can post on Facebook that you skipped sledding because it was too cold and went and ate ice-cream instead”. She laughed but I was like no I’m serious, that is so something I would do only for that exact reason. She agreed and I was happy that she did.

The young lady at the counter (who is the one shown on their facebook cover photo at the time I’m reviewing now) was absolutely great! She was friendly, smiled while taking the order and made small chat. My daughter and her friend got the traditional ice-cream this shop is famous for with their candy selections. I had a few bites and ordered a bakery dish. I also purchased apple pie and a brownie to bring back to family not with us, who ate them and said they were delicious.

This place is designed like a 60’s cafe in some ways. Friendly counter person, nice booth, and just the overall design that is best seen looking at their photos. Unfortunately I didn’t take any to post but they have a website, are on facebook etc. Again this shop is very famous, they even have a Wikipedia entry about them. Now 20-years since I first discovered this shop, and it has been around much longer than that, this place is still tops.