“Classic but noisy”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Woodstock, Georgia
“Classic but noisy”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week long conference. I stayed in a nice room with a balcony. It was very clean and had lots of toiletries. This hotel was very noisy though. On the corner street, the light makes a beeping sound to allow pedestrians to cross. My room was very close to it and it was very annoying. The WIFI in this hotel doesn't work. The breakfast buffet was good with different options. The workout room has one treadmill, one bike, one eliptical, and very limited weight equipment. The public areas are very nice and classic. I loved the sitting area with the rocking chairs at the entrance. The last night I was there, someone was doing maintenance in the hallway and banging at 6 am!!! That is crazy. The first night there was a wedding, and one of my colleagues complained that the wedding stayed until 11:30 and it was very noisy for her too. So overall this hotel is noisy, bring some ear plugs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CoptRWF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My family of four stayed at the Hotel Northampton over Memorial Day weekend for my wife's college reunion at Smith College in Northampton. We paid $310 per night ($348 after taxes) for a suite with one king size bed, a pull-out couch, and a small kitchenette. Our room was in the annex property, not the main building, and for the price it was disappointingly average. The walls were scuffed up, the AC unit was (very poorly) duct-taped to a window, etc.

What we really paid for, I suspect, is the location. And in that sense, Hotel Northampton can't be beat. It's right in the middle of the downtown area, but tucked just far enough away so as to be quiet in the evening. You're a short walk (less than a minute) from the shops and restaurants on the main strip, and five minutes to Smith's campus.

WiFi and a continental breakfast are included. Everything was just OK. It's far from a classic hotel experience, but it was clean enough and centrally located that, for what it was, it did the job fine. I'll probably stay here again for the location alone. But I do feel a little ripped off paying such a steep price for a barely adequate room.

Room Tip: I would specifically request that you be placed in the main building and not the annex.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank americanadventurer
Hudson, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed over Memorial Day weekend for a wedding. My husband used the gym and found it to be a bit better than the gyms in most historical hotels. The lobby area and entryway atrium at the front of the hotel is grand and lovely. The room was comfortable and clean. The décor was appropriate for a historical New England hotel, not new, not modern, not flashy, but clean, comfortable and tidy. Everyone who we spoke to at the desk was kind and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FeltriGeorge
Syosset
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to Hotel Northampton. The town here is very charming and the hotel location is right in the center. The first time here the fire alarm rang during the night and no one gave us any direction. But that was 3 years ago. It seems to be well run today. My only gripe is that there was no soap dish in the shower. The rooms need an update, but that's ok because it is part of the charm. The price was a little high but it is the nicest hotel in the town, and we went on a holiday weekend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We were visiting the area for a graduation ceremony and this was the hotel the extended family picked. It looks quite charming from the outside, but once you are checked in you realize it's just an old hotel that needs some help. The rooms are small and not level. Ok, I guess you can excuse this because it's an old building. The furniture in all the rooms was just worn and tired, not antique, just tired. There were no window blinds just drapes you had to tug on to try to cover the windows. The queen beds had mattresses that were over firm to the point of painful. The sink in our bathroom didn't drain properly and another family member had a toilet that was blocked. Several of our rooms had very noisy neighbors to the point it seemed like those people were in the room with you. Not very good when you have small children to try to get to sleep. Also, there was inadequate parking for the property. Both nights when we retuned back to the hotel after dinner we were unable to find parking. Lucky for us both nights someone was leaving late and we got a spot, but we don't know what we would have done if that hadn't happened. The breakfast buffet had a very limited selection of food items. There was no decaf coffee offered and we had to ask if there was any at all. Eventually they brought us some, but we had to keep flagging down the waitress for refills. They never did put it on the buffet line. Also, the hot water for tea on the buffet was lukewarm. Lunch was unremarkable. When we went to the lobby to print our boarding pass we were sent to a little room with a computer but no paper in the printer. All in all, it was just average and not the charming visit we had hoped for especially considering the ridiculous amount of money charged each night. I certainly wouldn't stay there again. Take a look at Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn. You'll actually have larger more comfortable rooms for a lot less money!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vheckler
Westbrook, Maine
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I grew up in Northampton in the '60s and '70s and was always fascinated by The Hotel Northampton. Therefore, when I found myself visiting Northampton overnight this past Mother's Day, I thought it would be a treat to rent a room there for my mother and me. We had a standard room with two double beds. The room was very spacious and the beds were really comfortable. The bathroom was clean and everything was in fine working order. Service at the front desk was prompt and friendly. We had both dinner and breakfast (the breakfast was included with the room rate) at the Coolidge Park Cafe; both meals were delicious and the service was excellent. The entire experience lived up to all of my expectations surrounding this lovely historic Northampton icon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Companies who visit us from Europe love staying with the fine staff at Hotel Northampton. Not only do they enjoy the lovely accommodations, they like the small town atmosphere, coffee shops and the Iron Horse. It is all about location and this hotel has the location!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Hotel Northampton? Share your experiences!