“Recommended!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Northampton B&B and Inns
Cooperstown, New York
“Recommended!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

All in all, this is a very nice place. The Autumn is situated in a lovely residential neighborhood, close to Smith College, and it is indeed walkable to downtown (I'm always skeptical when hotels make claims such as that -- but for once it was true). The furnishings are old and very slightly tatty, and the walls are oddly thin (at one point, I heard a noise that sounded like someone had dropped a book about 5 feet away from where I was sitting, but it was apparently next door), but the rooms are kept very, very clean. The breakfast buffet was decent (there is a working waffle iron: always a plus), although the waitress ignored us. (My companion and I are male -- and I couldn't help noticing that she perked up and offered to be of service whenever a woman entered the dining area.) The desk staff were unfailingly pleasant and friendly. Again: a nice place, at a fair price. I will definitely return, with pleasure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank WilmerFurman
Aubrey R, General Manager at Autumn Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your candor and your feedback about the Autumn Inn! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us, but I hope that we can better serve you next time. If you'd like to request a quiet location, and we'll do our best to block you into a part of the hotel with lower occupancy and less foot traffic so that you can get a great night's sleep. We do face certain challenges as an older property... and while we can't change our building structure, we do our absolute best to accommodate for our guests' needs!

At your service,
Asst. General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Winchendon, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We needed to stay near the center of Northampton. After checking several places, their prices and reviews, we decided to stay at the Autumn Inn. The Inn is located in the beautiful area of Smith College. It is a four minute drive or a 15 minute walk to the center of Northampton. The staff is friendly and the room was clean. Breakfast was convenient and good too.

Room Tip: Stay away from the maid supply closet. I heard the door many times in the early morning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aubrey R, General Manager at Autumn Inn, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for giving us a try, and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor to help other travelers. We really appreciate the feedback, and I'm so glad that your stay was an enjoyable one! The next time you need to be close to downtown, be sure to ask the staff about our complimentary bicycles for guest use. They are available during the warmer months of the year during daylight hours.

At your service,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here with my daughter during admissions tours and interviews at Smith College. The hotel manager recommended a great cajun-fusion restaurant that was awesome. Our room was cozy and comfortable and the breakfast the next morning was nice. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tzynya
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! Being so close to downtown Northampton, we're continually challenged to keep abreast of all the best restaurant options. I'm so glad that my staff didn't disappoint! I've shared your encouraging words with the Team, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town to visit Smith College.

Warmly,

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at a 2 double-bed room for nonsmokers. The room is spacey and clean. The distance is within 10 blocks from downtown Northampton and across from the Smith College campus. The surrounding is pleasant and away from heavy traffic. They serve full continental breakfast at a homey room with a fireplace. Mostly, the staff is very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the 2-day stay while in Northampton visiting our daughter's family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Inn on TripAdvisor! I'm delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations and found breakfast to your liking. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Northampton. Hopefully we get to see you when the fireplace is in use so you get the chance to take full advantage of it!

Cheers,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

My daughter and I took a room with two double beds, #18, on the ground floor. Yes, the furniture is a little dated, but everything else in the room was fine. I especially like the brand of grooming products - Olive something - and the very ample shelf space in the bathroom, enough for two people's toiletries. We stayed in winter, so didn't use the outdoor pool. In nice weather, it's an easy walk to Smith College and downtown Northampton.

Breakfast is included in a lovely dining room with a huge fireplace. On the previous day, a friend met me there, bought a small bottle of wine from the desk ($4.00), I helped myself to free tea and we had a really nice visit in front of the fire. Breakfast buffet includes cereals, toast, bagels, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs and fresh waffles off the waffle iron. Some fruit would be nice, but maybe it was gone since we got there at 10:30 am.

Front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Check in and check out very smooth. At $130 for the night, it's not cheap, but better than the $180 the Hotel Northampton charges.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sally60763
TJaeger, Front Office Manager at Autumn Inn, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
We’re so glad to read that you enjoyed you enjoyed your time at Autumn Inn. I am sorry that you missed out on a fruit selection for breakfast we normally have apple and oranges available during our breakfast hours of 6:00-10:30am. Thanks for taking the time to share and we can’t wait to welcome you back!
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was here on a business trip (at Smith College) in early February 2014. I couldn't find a corporate approved hotel in the immediate Northampton area so I went with this B&B. Great location!!! It is a one mile walk from the downtown and has sidewalks (there are also taxis). It is about a half mile walk (or less) to the Smith College campus center where I had my meeting. Room was great. Comfortable bed. Quiet. Nice breakfast options. Very nice fireplace to sit by to have your tea or coffee. Staff is very friendly with great recommendations. One of my favorite in-town experiences was a glass of wine at "The Tunnel" and old pedestrian walkway into a now-out-of-service train station which is now a bar. Very unique setting (and I like off the beaten path places) I believe the train station is also in process of being converted into a restaurant, will try that next time!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Autumn Inn. We are very happy that our location worked out for your travelling needs and that you were able to enjoy a bit of the town as well. Thank you for sharing your experience at our Inn we hope to welcome you back to the area.
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed on 2/22/14, went with friends, we were all from out of state. Found the hotel online, great price, a short walking distance from the center of town. Free parking available. Service was friendly, large fireplace in the living room, where you were able to have a seat to enjoy the fire and/or get a hot or cold drink anytime. The rooms were very clean and neat; our room had two double beds; it was very large and had a couch, it was on the corner on the bottom floor, very homey. Hot water, hair dryer, room safe, small fridge, everything you'd want or need. You could easily adjust the temperature in the room with no trouble or alot of noise. Yes the decor and fixtures were dated, but everything worked very well and again was very clean. Continential breakfast, alot of variety, everything looked fresh and there was someone there always restocking. We were really happy with everything. We will stay there again and I would reccomend it.

Room Tip: floor room with double bed on corner was huge and had a couch
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Autumn Inn? Share your experiences!