“Friendly and convenient”

Ranked #2 of 4 Northampton B&B and Inns
Princeton Jct., NJ
“Friendly and convenient”
Reviewed 23 September 2006

I wanted a place that was close to Smith College while my daughter visited overnight. The hotel is just a couple of blocks from the campus. I found it to be within easy walking distance of downtown shops and restaurants - a way to avoid parking hassles if you have 15 minutes to spare and the weather's nice.

The room was spacious and even had a rocking chair. True, there was dust on the TV stand, and the curtains were badly wrinkled, but otherwise the room was neat, clean, quiet, and very comfortable. The bathroom appeared to have been recently renovated, as all the fixtures looked brand new. The staff were friendly and helpful, and made sure I knew about the computer (with free internet access) in the lobby, and the breakfast (served in a dining area with an impressive fireplace along one wall).

Since the other hotel close by is significantly more expensive, I was satisfied with my choice and would stay there again.

• Liked — It was close to Smith College.
  • Disliked — The carafe on the coffee maker was the wrong size, too short to open the drip-free valve, causing the coffee to overflow the filter unit.
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your walking shoes - there's a lot to see and do in town.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BBdklMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 20 September 2006

Autumn Inn is supposedly a 2.5 star hotel but it's more like a 2 star motel. But nonetheless I had a nice stay. The staff was EXTREMELY friendly and courteous. The rooms were old but vintage. It's surely a small town hotel. It's also nicely located 2 blocks from Smith College. I don't know if I'd pay 100+ dollars to stay here but if I got a good deal I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Earth
Reviewed 28 August 2006

The streetside is deceiving. It comes off as a quaint New England Inn, but it's really a Route 66 motel with a fancy coat.

I arrived after midnight due to many delays and was immediately used as a guinea pig for a new employee to learn the ropes.

We avoided the efficiency rooms and were booked into an area that resembled a military or college dorm. Our room was small, cluttered and frozen in time with a 1970's early american motif. It looked exactly like the picture on hotels.com and would have been kitschy if we hadn't realized that some areas of the room hadn't been dusted since 1971 and the whole room smelled like a cellar.

Next morning, we had a continental breakfast in a very impressive, but well worn hearth room. Our relatives in the area seemed to think the inn was a fine restaurant in it's day. My only complaint was terrible coffee no matter which urn I drew from.

All in all, we pretty un-impressed, but it was quick weekender to celebrate a relative's anniversary. But, I wouldn't re-book this hotel again regardless of any future stays in the era.

There's no pride of ownership. They're just going through the motions and probably don't care as they have a built-in guest list of unsuspecting newbies during the academic season at the very nearby Smith College.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Tips/Secrets — Flee to Hotel Northampton, Hadley, or Holyoke
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Northampton hotels

Washington, DC
Reviewed 12 June 2006

After reading all the reviews, we were very nervous about staying here (we were in a wedding that had booked rooms there). It really isn't as bad as the reviews make it seem. No, it's not a quaint B&B and the breakfast was nothing special, but the rooms were large (with two rocking chairs) and relatively clean. Downsides: the rooms were kind of musty and the bathroom needed to be updated. I wouldn't stay there again if I had the choice (and at $150/night, definitely overpriced), but if you have to, it's not the end of the world. Staff was pleasant too.

• Stayed June 2006
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2005

If you go there knowing what it is, you might not be so disappointed. First, what it is NOT. It is not a B&B. It is not an Inn. It is very much like a motor lodge in appearance. The one photo showing the front is 100 percent deceptive. The interior decoration is, well, pretty barfy. The bathrooms had not been updated when we were there and truly, truly looked 1960s motel style.
If you need a place to stay while visiting someone in Northampton, this will do in a pinch. But do not go there for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed October 2001
2 Thank roguepetunia
Irvington, NY
Reviewed 19 July 2005

Wow, this place is getting some mixed reviews. We have stayed there three times because of its convenience to town, its quiet and comfortable atmosphere and its pool. Mostly because of the pool. We visit our son at a local camp and the pool makes a pleasant diversion for our one day visits with him. The pool is behind the building, surrounded by trees and is nearly always empty even during a very, hot, busy weekend in the summer. This is basically a really nice motel rather than a quaint, charming inn. We found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. Without too high expectations, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank llread
New York
Reviewed 17 July 2005

My husband, my daughter and I planned a trip to Northampton to enjoy the town for a weekend. After researching places to stay, we decided that the Autmumn Inn was the kind of cute, small inn with friendly, personal service that we really enjoy.
Well, the photo of the Autumn Inn is more than a bit deceiving. Yes, the front of the building looks like this, but what you don't see is that beyond the front facade is a rundown, aging, not well maintained motor lodge. The staff (actually quite limited....one at the front desk, and one in the breakfast room clearing tables the next morning) were anything but personable and friendly. When asked questions, the front desk clerk seemed bored and as if it were a chore just to provide basic information.
The room was old and tired, with the wallpaper buckling on the walls, hideous prints on the walls, old linens, and just an unpleasant feeling. I felt like I was back in the early 60's and my parents took me on a road trip and we stopped at some little motel by the side of the road. This was the same type of atmosphere. The breakfast consisted of stale bagels and pastry, watered down juice, and some cereals. Again, no pride or effort put into this aspect at all.
We had booked the room for 2 nights, but left after one (although we were charged for both nights due to the "2 night minimum")
Whomever owns this "Inn" shows no interest in keeping it up, making it at all appealing, or doing anything which indicates any kind of pride or interest in cultivatinbg repeat customers.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank pompanobeachgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Autumn Inn? Share your experiences!