“Awful smell”
Review of Autumn Inn

Autumn Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Northampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2010

First of all, it's not walking distance to anything; and the woman at the front desk was rude. The room was dingy. When we first entered, the air conditioner was on. I turned it off before we went to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night almost choking from the smell of the mold coming up from the carpet.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 October 2010

I spent $200 a night here so that I could visit my daughter at college on family weekend. There was nothing else available in the area. The room was drab, worn and stale. The blankets were torn. The bed was loosely made. The window was cracked and the screen torn. The promised wifi in my room did not work. There was no hot water the first night. The continental breakfast was worse than any chain motel. I asked if there was stronger coffee than the light brown stuff available and was told that I could have the one that had been sitting out for hours because it would taste stronger. Didnt seem to know there was a difference between strong coffee and old...
I gave it one star for the fact that it was quiet at night.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2010

The room was clean, but small and dark. The staff was friendly and efficient. Breakfast was free and filling, including make-your-own waffles and the usual fare. It was served from 6:00 a.m., which is perfect for me! The air conditioning worked perfectly on this hottest day of the year, for which I was thankful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I am currently staying at this hotel and when I went to take my children to the out door pool there were some men practicing fly fishing right at pool! I called my children back before one of them caught a fish hook or a lead sinker right in their face and went to the front desk. The young woman took my concerns seriously and immediately went and addressed the matter. I was passing through the lobby a few minutes later and heard one of the men actually harassing the staff that he should have been allowed to continue to practice his casting in the pool! He was making a big stink about how he planned to post bad reviews online, so I wanted to post that as a paying guest of this hotel, I rather appreciate that bullies like him are not allowed to monopolize the pool area! I later complimented the staff for handling things as they did. I have stayed in other hotels where I made complaints about people's noise or behavior and the staff hung back and seemed timid about resolving anything for me, which is why I was so impressed in this case.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We stayed here for two nights. While it's not the worst I've ever stayed it leaves A LOT to be desired. The pros...it is very close to Smith College (across the street) and about .5-1 mile from downtown Northampton. It was clean and that's about it. The cons...this "Inn" is EXTREMELY outdated. Classic or "old" can be quaint or sheik but the Autumn Inn is not accomplishing this in the decor. It's just plan old. The lamps are tattered and one was missing a light bulb. The bed was a fourpost wood frame. Every move you made squeeked! My back hurt every morning when I got up. The front desk often didn't answer the phone. When checking out I had to go hunting for someone. It was also more expensive than a new hotel of suites. The breakfast consisted of stale bread, bagles, waffles (all sugar and carbs) No fruit or protein options. I would just spend the $5-10 and eat at one of the many restaurants down the road.
Again, if you just need need a place to sleep this will suffice.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Our one-night stay at the Inn was very pleasant. Our two-room suite was sparkling clean upon arrival. All appliances worked quite well, too. Only negative is the sofa bed in the living room. The mattress was flat in many places, causing a near sleepless night for my daughter and granddaughter. Breakfast was great: tea, coffee, hot chocolate, hard-boiled eggs, muffins, several breads to toast, oatmeal, "do it yourself" waffles, juices, cereals, etc. Perfectly fine for an on-the-go traveler. Staff was very cordial and helpful. The suite is facing a main road so it does get a bit noisy, however, it did quiet down around 10PM. Not sure if that was due to the freezing weather or not. ;-)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We rented 2 rooms for a one night stay at the Autumn Inn, we were visiting family living in Northampton MA. We were all pleasantly surprised when all the beds were wonderful, rooms very clean, staff very nice and the continental breakfast was better than most. Not your typical "Motel" room, which are usually not very comfortable. We will definately come back again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Hotel Northampton
D. Hotel & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst

Been to Autumn Inn? Share your experiences!