“Cream sauces that never disappoint”

Viva Fresh Pasta Company
Ranked #16 of 141 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are "a small neighborhood restaurant (with two floors of dining!) that serves unpretentious fare in generous portions at reasonable prices to a loyal clientele. The mood is warm and friendly. The food is fragrant, earthy and sensual." WHAT IS IN YOUR FOOD? We cook for your enjoyment and for your health! We use only non-GMO Canola & Extra Virgin Olive oil in our sauces. For saute items we also use non-GMO Grape Seed & Rice Bran oil. Our Eggs are organic. Our pasta flour is high-protein non-GMO durum flour. Our corn meal for polenta is organic and non-GMO.
Amherst, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cream sauces that never disappoint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

This must be at least my third dinner at Viva Fresh and somehow its better every time. A group of 5 of us came for dinner on a quiet Thursday night for a great food and drink. We ordered the fresh baguette with pesto sauce for starters and it tasted as if it came directly out of the oven to our table.

The drink list here is easily one of the best I have seen in the region with a strong selection of red, white and sparkling wines in the half glass, full glass or bottle option. Although there is not a full bar at Viva they do have several local beers on tap and a handful in the bottle as well. Several of us ordered a glass or wine or beer and the waitress even gave one of us a free refill.

Everyone ordered something different for their main course and no one was unsatisfied. I ordered the cheese ravioli in a Gorgonzola cream sauce with chicken, spinach and red pepper which was a large portion and absolutely delicious. I have tried a few of the red sauces in the past here, so I can honestly say from experience that the Gorgonzola cream sauce is far superior. We were all so full from our pastas that no one could even think about ordering dessert.

Our waitress was also great, and given that it was a dead night she was especially attentive with refilling drinks and making sure everyone had what they needed. The ambiance and decor were also very aesthetically pleasing, and the lighting was perfect for a late night dinner feast. From this last experience at Viva, I honestly cannot point out anything flawed in our dinner; great meal all around!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank GabriellaGGuimaraes

Amherst, Massachusetts
“Had whole grain option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Went with a friend last week and we had a pleasant dinner. Service was a bit slow at first (and there weren't many patrons there) but improved during the dinner. We shared a house salad which was ample. My friend had mushroom ravioli, said it was quite good. I ordered the organic spelt fettuccine with chasseur sauce, shrimp and sausage, very good. It's not the most romantic setting and the tables are snug with the walking aisle but the food was good and portions were ample.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Sally I
Whiting, Maine, United States
“A let down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We made reservations at Viva, as we had eaten there before and the food was quite good, unfortunately that was not our experience last evening. My pasta was in a clump, had an overtone flavor of something bitter. Too bad, three of us ate there, and each of us had something different, and none of us enjoyed our meal.

2 Thank Brenda G
Worcester, MA
“Food is OK, Service was Arrogant and Obnoxious”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

To start off, I'd like to mention that I've been to Viva Fresh Pasta probably five or six times in the past. I always found the food to be tasty and pasta is one of those things that pretty much everyone likes so it's good for a big group

I went there this weekend with a large group (four adults, three teenagers, three children). Even though we were seated before numerous other parties, our orders were taken last. We asked before placing orders if we could separate the check (to make things easier for him at the end) and he huffed and puffed and finally said "i guess... what, all of you need separate checks?!" Yeah, bozo, b/c it makes sense that all those little children are paying for themselves (wtf). Out of the ten people at our table, FIVE were served the wrong dish. The waiter kept insisting everyone at our table must have misspoken when ordering because "never" in his "six and half years of waiting tables" has he "ever made a mistake!" I suggested that maybe our table's order was switched with another table (how else could you get literally half the orders wrong) and he told me i was wrong and started slamming things around.
At this point, we all just wanted to get out of this place so we asked for the checks. He then charged me $40 more than what was on my bill. When this was pointed out he said it was a "typo". Are you kidding me? Let me guess, another mistake that is somehow not his fault. So then he charged it for the correct amount. I spoke to the owner about the fact that I've now been charged over $67 for a $27 bill and she said she would look at her computer and call me later. I never heard from her. It's a shame because we really used to enjoy going to Viva but I will never. ever. go again. Also, an Italian restaurant charging extra for bread is INSANE. Two stars because the butternut squash bisque was good.

Westfield, Massachusetts
“APPRECIATED HOMEMADE PASTA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have eaten here twice so far. Once for lunch and once for dinner. I enjoyed it both times. It is rare to find homemade pasta and I enjoyed being able to select from the variety they had. My daughter and husband enjoyed the appetizer garlic cheese bread. For dinner my husband had the mussel dish which he said was very good. I did receive the wrong type of pasta and had to wait for them to correct that which meant most of the others were done by the time I had my meal. It would have been nice if they had offered me a free glass of wine while I was waiting but they did not. I do enjoy the food. I like the fact that they offer a spelt pasta for those gluten free patrons. My daughter did try the cheesecake which she was not a fan of but my husband and I felt it was good. The meals for dinner run around 15-20 dollars which I feel were fair. The meals do not come with anything, no bread, no salad. I had a side of kale which was tasty but very salty. Overall I enjoyed the meal and would go if I had a taste for homemade pasta or unusual flavors of pasta. Nice setting downstairs for romantic meal. Service was overall attentive and good.