“Turned from Great to Awful”

Great Wall Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 141 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
western mass
“Turned from Great to Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

We hadn't been to this restaurant in some time and what a huge disappointment this latest visit was! The food was bordering on inedible. We ordered a specialty soup which we had had here before and it was just delicious then. This time, there was no resemblance to its former glory and the bowl of grey tasteless water with tasteless ingredients presented to us this time. We did not eat it, and, although we complained to the server, asking him to inform the management, there was no appearance by the management, no apology, no "would you like something else?", nothing. We were, of couse, charged the outrageous price of $8.95 for this upappetizing, inedible dish. In addition, we found the young men who were serving to be unkempt and "unappetizing," fitting in with the unappetizing ambience of the entire restaurant. We will not return .... we miss the old Great Wall which served up wonderful dishes beautifully served. Don't bother going there now... waste of time and money.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank Urther

Northampton, Massachusetts
“Mostly mediocre”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

The Great Wall is walking distance from our house so I was delighted when it first opened. However, the quality of both the food and the service is very inconsistent. I've had a few good meals but several mediocre ones, and at least one meal that was dreadful. Some of my friends have had better luck and like to go there, but others, like me, have been disappointed often enough that we will not go back again. Perhaps the worst experience was when I ordered "amazing chicken" for take-out and when I got home I found that the dish contained one -- yes, 1 -- slice of chicken floating in a pool of oily liquid. I wish I could recommend this restaurant but, if you want decent Chinese food in Northampton, go to Teapot, not to the Great Wall.

Visited January 2013
5 Thank Steffi S
“Great food overwhelms atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

Like others I was suspicious of the strip mall location, but in an area filled with great Asian cuisine, this is a standout. Check the special menu for authentic dishes not found in standard American Chinese restaurants. My 7 year old loves stuffed tofu and bok choy. Dim sum on weekends!

Amherst, Massachusetts
“Most authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

The Great Wall is one of our favorite restaurants in the Valley. The hostess/owner is extremely nice and the food is outstanding. The Dragon Skin is my favorite vegetarian dish but everything there is wonderful.

Visited December 2012
Roseville, California
“Hit or miss.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

I've eaten here maybe a dozen times. Some things about this place are great, but it's do inconsistent that it's a gamble that I take only once in a while.

Plus side: When they're on their game the dishes are really seasoned well and perfectly cooked. The lo mein is not super greasy and not all sesame oil and filler. The dishes you recognize from other menus taste unique. The specials are great.

But (and this is why they don't get a good rating from me) when they are off, they are way off. The place is really dark, and I think that's because it's not well kept, and the fish tank should either go or be professionally maintained. Blind fish kind of freak people out, especially kids.

And they fail the real test: takeout. Something is always missing, and it's almost as though they don't put the same care into takeout preparation. Even worse if they deliver. And they need to get someone on the phone that doesn't have 6 other jobs and a really abrasive manner. Remember: I'm calling to give you money for a meal, not asking you to help me move. Try pretending like you want people to call and order from the place.

It's really too bad because I would eat there more if they could deliver quality every time.

1 Thank Elrhino1