“Comfortable and tasty, if quirky”

Great Wall Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 145 Restaurants in Northampton
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Comfortable and tasty, if quirky”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Warm, hearty dishes! Strange atmosphere but wonderful service. Don't be fooled by the awkward strip-mall location; you'll have a delicious homestyle meal here. Great for sharing and for Chinese New Year!

Visited June 2012

Montgomery, MA
“Excellent dinner”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We have been going to Great Wall for years and enjoy their food. We order off the smaller white menu and have not been disappointed. The vegetables are fresh from farms in the surrounding area and are not overcooked. The sauces are delicious and not overly sweet. Although they are located in a strip mall, do not miss this place.

• Visited May 2013
western mass
“Turned from Great to Awful”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We hadn't been to this restaurant in some time and what a huge disappointment this latest visit was! The food was bordering on inedible. We ordered a specialty soup which we had had here before and it was just delicious then. This time, there was no resemblance to its former glory and the bowl of grey tasteless water with tasteless ingredients presented to us this time. We did not eat it, and, although we complained to the server, asking him to inform the management, there was no appearance by the management, no apology, no "would you like something else?", nothing. We were, of couse, charged the outrageous price of $8.95 for this upappetizing, inedible dish. In addition, we found the young men who were serving to be unkempt and "unappetizing," fitting in with the unappetizing ambience of the entire restaurant. We will not return .... we miss the old Great Wall which served up wonderful dishes beautifully served. Don't bother going there now... waste of time and money.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank Urther
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Mostly mediocre”
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

The Great Wall is walking distance from our house so I was delighted when it first opened. However, the quality of both the food and the service is very inconsistent. I've had a few good meals but several mediocre ones, and at least one meal that was dreadful. Some of my friends have had better luck and like to go there, but others, like me, have been disappointed often enough that we will not go back again. Perhaps the worst experience was when I ordered "amazing chicken" for take-out and when I got home I found that the dish contained one -- yes, 1 -- slice of chicken floating in a pool of oily liquid. I wish I could recommend this restaurant but, if you want decent Chinese food in Northampton, go to Teapot, not to the Great Wall.

Visited January 2013
5 Thank Steffi S
“Great food overwhelms atmosphere”
Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

Like others I was suspicious of the strip mall location, but in an area filled with great Asian cuisine, this is a standout. Check the special menu for authentic dishes not found in standard American Chinese restaurants. My 7 year old loves stuffed tofu and bok choy. Dim sum on weekends!